Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

S3 vs TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-1999, 08:18 AM
TT Fan

Default S3 vs TT

I think it is pretty sad that you - S3 owners - have to share your forum with the A3 owners. On the other hand I can imagine why: in fact the S3 is nothing else than an upgraded A3. Better look to the TT: THAT IS A REAL CAR!
It is too sad for my collegue that he bought the wrong car and now is bothering me with that every day. You probably guessed already he bought a S3.

Kind regards,
TT-fan
Old 12-20-1999, 02:03 PM
ravenx

Default Sorry to hear about your friend

I had the opportunity to choose between the S3 and the TT.

I chose the S3 and am very happy with the decision I made. The TT looks more fashionable inside and outside, but a real drivers car it is not. I am a Group N Rally Driver and believe me, the TT doesn't even come close to the driving experience the S3 delivers. The car doesn't communicate with the driver (especially the steering), makes you feel very nervous on curves (you don't know if it's going to oversteer or understeer), doesn't grip the road like a quattro (that's why an official recall has been made). In all tests made by car magazines like Top Gear, Auto Bild, Car etc. the pros have chosen the S3 over the TT.

If you want to buy it for your girlfriend, be my guest. If you want one to "drive", you are making a mistake.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 12-20-1999, 03:10 PM
AL B

Default Re: S3 vs TT

Hi,

I think the other reason, if not the primary reason, that the A3 and S3 share this forum is because these cars are rare in the US, and the webmasters probably thought (and rightly so) that there would only be a few people taking part in this forum. But they provided it anyway, and I thank them for that, we just need to find a way of getting more A3/S3 owners involved from around the world.

I don't think anyone would disagree, when I say the TT is a beautiful car, inside and out, and is very unique. And is probably a fun car to drive. But I think I'd have to side with 'ravenx' on the driving side.

I can't speak from experience, but certainly everything I have read suggests that the S3 has better handling than the TT. I heard that this is because the S3 has better front-to-rear weight distribution. This can only mean better handling. Can anyone confirm this?

But I have a question for you. What would be your view if Audi produced a 300bhp TT, (rumours suggest this, see AutoCar UK), and called it "ST"? The webmasters would probably change the TT forum to "TT/ST Forum".

Anyway, I'm happy sharing this forum with the S3 guys. Even though my A3 is slower etc. than their S3's.

Cheers,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 12-20-1999, 07:38 PM
ravenx

Default I agree

You are right about the front-to-rear weight distribution issue. And this makes the car much more stable, especially on the curves and under sudden changes in weight distribution. I have driven both cars and made my decision. And I think I made the right one.

I read most car magazines regularly and have also seen the Autocar you mentioned. I don't know about you, but the TT doesn't look like a mascular car. It sure looks good, but doesn't have the styling edge cars like Aston Martin Vantage or Porsche 996 Turbo. It looks like a fragile toy to me. I like the interior design much better than the exterior. Consequently I wouldn't but an ST even if they make it 300bhp. I would go for an Subaru Impreza STi.

And I have to comment on the subject of you car being slower than the S3. It's the driving experience that counts for me, looks come second. And I believe your car handles very close to mine and both offer better driving experience than the TT.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 12-21-1999, 04:52 PM
AL B

Default Yes...I think we have similar tastes...(long-ish)

Hi ravenx,

Yes, I think you are right about the S3 being more masculine in appearance than the TT.

I also thought this when I first had a test drive of an A3 1.8T. I looked at the lines of the car for tens of minutes, if not hours, admiring how it looked at different angles. It looked smooth, beautiful, yet purposeful and masculine. And the the S3s syling just takes that even further. I saw my first Silver one today, by the way - nice.

Regarding performance comparisons that the TT owners might bring up. They should remember that the S3 is de-tuned, so that the TT can be "top-of-the-tree". Should a TT 225bhp come up against an even slightly modified S3, (only 15bhp difference) the S3 would probably come out tops. Certainly in a point-to-point handling route. I'd love to see such a side-by-side test. I am really envious that you driven both of these excellent cars.

Aaahhh! Subaru STi's! Do we share the same desire to have one of these fantastic machines? I think we do. I'd love one. If my next car is not an Audi S3, S4 or TT, it will be a Subaru STi!! I love them, and actually had the privilege last year to drive one. BLOODY-HELL!! Was it quick! I came away from the drive with more adrenaline pumping through me than I have ever experienced. I was in a different world afterwards, totally out-of-it! One of the best days of my life.

Yes, driving experience is important, rather than out-and-out speed. That's probably why, in the UK, the pug 306 and 206 have been voted best Hot-hatches, on numerous occasions. Much to my disappointment, that the A3 was not voted best. But the A3 is still a fantastic drive. I've had real fun in it. Especially on fast and twisty country lanes in Yorkshire.

Hey, in your other post you said you were a Group N rally driver. Ever thought of rallying an S3?

Regards,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 12-21-1999, 07:43 PM
ravenx

Default Not suitable for rallying

I totally agree with everything you said. I am planning to modify the car after the warranty period expires. First I'm going to upgrade to Porsche 993 brakes (just like ARE did). Then I am definitely going to change the Pirelli P6000's, I hate them. I am currently interested in the test results of the new Goodyear Eagles. I haven't yet decided on a particular chip. Can be Wetterauer (235bhp) or MTM (250bhp). I'm also waiting for the official announcement from ABT (250bhp). They are still testing it. Please do comment on these issues. You seem to know about Tuning.

Nowadays I race occasionaly. I fill in for friends, who are "unable" to race. I like the Maxi Megane Kit Car I drove for a couple of races last season. It also looks very masculine and is built completely to the purpose of rallying. Wish I could take it to the streets.

Taking the S3 for rallying, I think, would not be very suitable. We need to do intensive modification and that would cost way to much. Besides the car is neither a two wheel drive car nor a permanent 4wheeler. I don't know to what Group the car would fit in, if any. Moreover, you should know how "much" spare parts of cars like Audi, BMW cost. Do you know how many times we need to change the bumpers of the car in a season? I'm sure you do. But, if everything worked out somehow, the car would kick some ***, especially on tarmac courses. But a modified S3 can make one hell of a drag racer.

We have only 2 STi's here. Both are personal imports. I drove one in a private drag race. God, it sure left me breathless.

By the way I had to choose black, it is a must for me. Prior to the S3 I have driven a Mitsubishi Galant VR4, a Fiat Tipo 2.0i 16v and a Vauxhall Vectra 2.5i 24v, all black. I know the Vauxhall sounds odd, but my parents insisted on it after I wrecked the Fiat. They thought buying a dull looking family saloon would stop me from killing my self. They were right. The car was so horrible, I was too afraid to drive it fast.

Silver looks very noble. By the way, do you have any pics of your car? I'm going to post mine soon.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 12-24-1999, 03:29 AM
JORDI

I DON ´T KNOW WHY YOU SAY THAT. MAYBE COSE YOU ARE GELOUS.
I HAVE A FRIEND WHO HAS A TT. SHE SAID TO ME THAT TT IS
PERFECT FOR A GIRL.
I THINK THE SAME. TT IS A GIRL CAR (LIKE Z3), A PRETTY SMALL CAR!!!!! :-)

S3 FUN (REAL CAR)
Old 12-24-1999, 04:09 AM
chris grant

S3 only an ungraded A3 - some upgrade ! I am sure you must realize that your TT platform is only really an A3 / Golf .
I have just bought an A3 1.8T great car and I am not envious of your TT . Nice car but not for me. In my area,30 miles from London UK, you are more likely to be stopped by the Police if you are in a hurry in a "sporty" looking TT than what is at a quick glance, to non enthusiasts,an 'ordinary' A3.
Subtlety is the name of the game - less is more !
Old 12-27-1999, 12:57 PM
Jeff R.

Aerodynamics is alot worse for the TT also
Old 12-28-1999, 05:31 AM
AL B

Default Thanks...

Hi,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, holidays, Christmas shopping etc. etc.

I see you are looking at the top Tuners for modifying your S3. Those tuners, excluding Wett, are available in the UK, but the costs for a basic chip are *very* expensive.

I can't say I'm expert on tuning, but I know bits of things. I read a lot of car magazines, send off for information, read the performance forum etc. So I'm learning all the time.

I didn't know the S3 was NOT a permanent 4wheeler. Shame it wouldn't be suitable for rallying, and you are right, parts would cost a fortune!

A Vauxhall doesn't sound odd at all. I once had a Vauxhall Astra Sport 2.0i 16V, it was a good car, saved my life in a side impact accident! It was quick too, not much difference in performance between it and the A3 actually. But the A3 has much better handling. So point-to-point the A3 would come out tops. An build quality, despite my creaking doors, the A3 is in a different league.

I do have pictures of my car, lots of them. I will attempt to scan some in during the New Year.

Cheers,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver

Quick Reply: S3 vs TT