Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Snow chains...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 05:52 AM
AL B

Default Snow chains...

Hi,

Anyone use snow chains on 205/55 r16 tyres/wheels?

A3 manual says you shouldn't use them, I find this hard to believe.

Any recommendations on Snow chains?

I'm up in Fort William, Scotland this weekend (for a bit of skiing and driving), and in my experience, it can sometimes get a real dumping of snow at times. Not sure of the weather forecast for this weekend though.

Cheers,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-22-2000, 09:22 AM
David R

Default Fort Bill

Hi Al,

I have worked for months in Fort Bill last year, and the year before especially over winter and have never needed chains. Basically the gritters etc are great and because fort bill is at sea level there is never much snow to worry about where the roads are. All the snow is a LONG way from where you would want your A3!

Usually, there are only problems on the A9 from Pitlochry to Dalwhinnie and on the other road (the name of which escapes me!) through crainlarach. In any case, the authorities simply shut the road and put up diversions if things get slippy - there is never a real opportunity for chains.

If you are going this weekend the weather should be fine, there is snow on the hills but all roads are open at the moment - It is actually quite mild up here.

Note - on the driving front - if you come up through Crainlarach until the Y junction at Tyndrum, take the long way round through Oban - the road is FANTASTIC!

If not and you want to go direct use the A9 - It is overall quicker but still the road from Dalwhinnie to Fort Bill past Laggan is fab too - very, very twisty and usually well surfaced!

Have fun and let me know if you want more info....

David
Old 02-22-2000, 08:13 PM
ravenx

Default Avoid Snow chains...

...especially on front wheel drive cars. Using snow chains on front wheel drive cars will ruin the setup of your car. Think twice before using them.

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 02-22-2000, 09:09 PM
IJ

Default Are you serious?

Hi ravenx,
Audi probably says to avoid chains becuase of the delicate paint finish on most of its wheels. I never knew one can ruin the set-up using chains. How am I going to go skiing this year? Are you talking about suspension set-up or wheel balance? What can be affected?
IJ
99A31.8T(190bhp)
Old 02-23-2000, 01:34 AM
AL B

Default Cheers...

Thanks David, very useful information.

I figured snow chains would not be needed, but thought I'd ask anyway.

It's just that I remember a time on a University Mountineering trip, when driving back across the Scottish moors in quite deep snow, and we struggled for traction in our mini-bus all the time. The journey took 2 times what it should have done! Good laugh though!

Cheers,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-23-2000, 06:31 AM
AL B

Default David, Have you driven...

The road that comes of the A830 near Frt Bill, at Kinlocheil (A861) and creates a little loop round to Lochailort?

If so what's that one like?

Cheers,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-24-2000, 09:56 AM
David R

Very narrow, not great, although the A830 to Mallaig (i think??) is excellent
Old 02-27-2000, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint finish and wheel balance are not that important

You can get your car painted and your wheels rebalanced in no time. But, if you drive with the snow chained tyres on clean tarmac roads (without the snow or ice) even for a breif period, your whole front drivetrain setup will be damaged. All bolts that hold pieces together will loosen and start to rattle. This can be very annoying and it will take time to fix this, if it can be fixed at all.

If you are going to use snow chains only on snowy and icy roads, that should be fine. But most of the time there are some part of the road that remain dry. Think twice...

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 02-29-2000, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wish I'd read this post before I went...

Thanks David. Unfortunately I didn't read your post before I left for Scotland.

I couldn't believe it when I drove down the A861 - it was so narrow! Plus it had sheep and Highland cattle hanging about on it! So I caught the ferry back across Linnhe, and drove down to Oban on the coast road you suggested. Excellent!! Got to Oban, then just turned round and drove back!

I had a great drive up to Scotland on Thursday too, along the A82. What a road! Hardly a car in sight, with combinations of bends then long straights. What a drive. Especially through Glen Coe.

On the whole, the car performed brilliantly. It's only when you really push the A3 1.8T that you realise what you are driving - an excellently balanced performance hatch. My A3 more than made up for its creaking doors this weekend, it provided me with an excellent driving experience.

I can only dream of what the S3 must be like.

Cheers,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-29-2000, 09:27 AM

Default Such is life

Hi

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself, I discovered these roads by a trial and error process. I regularly travelled from Fife to Fort Bill on a weekly basis and tried different routes for variety.

Oh and yes, up here in Scotland you can get an interesting driving experience with wildlife input etc. If the map shows a small road then it will be!! Problem is you need a fairly large road to really exploit the A3. The single track roads are too narrow to have fun safely. The Glen Coe pass is fabulous, easy scope for 130mph+ in the day - I nearly met my match on night when a deer gamboled into my path - since then use fog lights to light up the side of the road!!

I agree with your reference about the car making up for it's shortcomings howver, my Saxo used to **** me off amazingly around town etc, but a serious blast across country more that compensated!

Regards

David