Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Speedo not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not functioning

I recently purchased an Audi A3 (October 2002 model) which I have since been told by Audi that it has had an engine replacement. This was due to the original engine incurring extensive damage as a result of a leaking oil sump. The replacement engine according to Audi was fitted quite badly by the dealer/mechanic (not Audi) who worked on it and has been the cause of transmission problems which have since been recified (for now anyway?). The speedo and odometer however are not working and Audi still haven't been able to identify the cause of this. They tried fitting a new speedo but this didn't work. I'm worried that the dealer/mechanic has made a mess of the components but aside from the speedo/odometer, the electrics are in working order. Would the fault be somehow related to the replacement engine? I've been told it is a second-hand engine for models May 2000 and April 2002. I don't know what the mileage is on the engine (not sure if I can even find that out?)but I know that it was previously fitted to a vehicle which was not an Audi (VW perhaps?). I am shattered that it's been over a month and I still haven't been able to drive the car since I bought it. I would love any advice as to why the speedo isn't working - my mechanical knowledge as a female isn't the best. I do love the Audi A3 for it's steering (light, great turning circle), hold on the road and interior/features and I just hope that some day, I'll actually be able to drive one. I wish I'd purchased from Audi directly...I'm begining to lose hope. Was hoping someone could just tell me things might be ok.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Damn, that does not look good...do you have a option to get rid of this car under warrenty ?

I'd prefer to start on a clean sheet...that car sounds like a lemon...

I really hope it works out for you.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Damn, that does not look good...do you have a option to get rid of this car under warrenty ?

where did you buy the a3 from, what is the engine code on the engine currently fitted to the car, just wondering why audi are saying that the engine was fitted badly by one of their mechanics, i am an audi mechanic and might be able to give you some advice, have they checked to see if the speed sender is plugged onto the gearbox?when you say it is second hand engine do you mean that is an exchange engine, how do you know that it was not fitted to an audi, if you reply asap then i might be able to give you some sort of advice.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Damn, that does not look good...do you have a option to get rid of this car under warrenty ?

Thank yu so much for your quick response. The only reason I found out about the engine replacement was because a friend of mine checked the engine number and it wasn't the same as the original one on the document of the previous owner. I found out the replacement engine hadn't been in an Audi as I called a vehicle registration organisation and they said that the engine number was in a non-Audi car before it was fitted into mine. You could be right, the speedo sender might not be plugged in - I don't know why it is taking over 20hrs of testing and still no reason has been found as to the non-functioning speedo. Cheers, thanks again for your concern
Old 08-05-2004, 08:27 AM

you find it has been put in the corner of the workshop and no-one is working on it at all if it is still in the dealership, i still cannot understand how a non-audi engine has been fitted, chances are though you have either a Golf engine or ibiza engine as they do use identical engines and engine codes, is he vehicle sill in warranty, because if it is then the engine MUST be a genuine VAG part otherwise you could be in for a costly repair, next thing you MUST be forcefull on the dealership or they MAY think you are a pushover (you never know) also keep calling them and chasing the progress, may prove that they are not doing alot about it , if all else fails ring audi customer services they normally really hurry up the dealer and put some pressure on them
good luck