Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Thinking about buying an A3...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another example of incorrectly looking at the power of an engine.

If you are idling the car is making say 2hp whether its a 3.2 or a 2.0t.. to keep the car going 50hp.. both cars are proably making roughly 10hp..

to accelerate from 0-60 both cars will take roughly the same hp..

If you are saying you had no problem driving a car in the snow because it made 100hp vs 200hp then you are sadly mistaken becuase no car makes 200hp unless you tell it to. YOU and only YOU have the chose whether to give it a little throttle or smash the pedal through the floorboard.

Power is determined by the driver.. Just becuase a car makes 100hp or a car makes 500hp does not mean one will be harder to drive then the other because neither makes its power unless you want it.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're twisting his words and you know it.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Default I"m sorry but if you have problems controlling wheel spin on any car its driver error

As I said in a reply just below this.. YOU request the power.. A car doesn't make mad torque yo unless you press the accelerator to the point that it makes that power.. YOU as the driver have control of wheel spin no one or nothing else. So yes if YOU can't control a car with 300ft/lbs of torque to the front wheels from spinning the wheels it is YOU that is having the problem.. not the car.

Would 300ft/lbs to 4 wheels be easier to drive sure it can be much easier..
Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: So 360 days of extra weight and drivetrain loss is worth 5 days of traction..

Well, it snows more than 5 days here. P

And yes, the AWD is worth it as it works all the time, not just on those 5 days it snows where you live. It isn't as noticeable in dry, but in rain and certainly in the snow it makes a difference. FWD can handle snow, FWD and snows can do well also, but AWD and snows is my choice.

WWD typically leads to an understeering pig of a car; yes it can be reduced with suspension tweaks, but the stiffer rear sway bar is a band-aid solution to me.

Audi built its reputation on Quattro, w/o it I don't see any value in the car. That is my opinion.

Oh, yeah, I appreciate you staying off the roads those 5 days; it lets those if us who are ready for the winter weather enjoy the day without white-knuckle snow rookies. LOL

/bill
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default So let's recap...if we take away the conditions that would warrant quattro...

We don't really need quattro and it's overrated? Have I got that right?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're my hero racer boy!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Please.. my other car makes 300hp/300ft/lbs to the front wheels

300 hp to the front wheels only is not the ideal situation, physics is against you! FWD can be fast, but all things being equal it is slower off the line that AWD.

Any car can be made fast, why start with an inferior package and try to force fit it though?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:55 PM

Default If you want to recap then actually QUOTE what I said.. don't make crap up I never stated

I never said quattro was overrated.

The original comment I responded to was that a audi is not an audi without fWD (paraphrased)

Thats just silly. I never once stated that quattro was overrated..I do feel that people give it more value then its worth In the sense of people do overrate it.. but the system as a whole is not overrated.

There are great benefits of Quattro but that does not mean its the be all and end allof AWD systems and it certainly does not mean that everyone needs it.

Becuase you apparently cannot handle a high hp fWD car doesn't mean that the person sitting next to you at a traffic light can't.. Or that anyone else on this forum has a problem controlling it.

The funniest comment I actually get is doesn't the A3 have alot of torque steer.. Sure it may but I honestly couldn't tell you since I have not noticed torque steer in a FWD car in over 5 years now because I"m used to it being there and compensate before it even happens. The same thing goes for lots of torque.. It doesn't surprise me when it comes on or I sense the wheels about to possibly spin. I'm able to back off just enough to keep the traction or on a launch feather the clutch out so it can pull to great 60ft even on street tires.

Just takes time... stop getting pissy becuase you can't handle it.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Default I actually don't race.. so sorry I can't be your hero anymore I guess

not a fan of it.. don't do it.. don't watch it on TV or go to the track..

Just not my thing.. I do like power though and I like to get as much of it to the ground and not soaked up through drivetrain loss.

You forget that every person on this forum that has an A3 had the option to buy an A4 with Quattro.. most chose not to for some reason.. There are also ALOT of people who gave up Quattro cars for their FWD A3s..

Maybe you should ask those people why they sold their real audis for their fake ones.. since its not an audi without quattro right?
Old 03-06-2006, 01:43 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You want quotes?

<b>I never said quattro was overrated.</b>
See below.

<b>The original comment I responded to was that a audi is not an audi without fWD (paraphrased)</b>
No comment.

<b>Thats just silly. I never once stated that quattro was overrated..I do feel that people give it more value then its worth In the sense of people do overrate it.. but the system as a whole is not overrated.</b>
In one breath you're stating that others overrate it, but you don't. So are you speaking for everybody else...or just you? Surely you can see our confusion?

<b>There are great benefits of Quattro but that does not mean its the be all and end allof AWD systems and it certainly does not mean that everyone needs it.</b>
We're not talking about other AWD systems, and nobody said we *needed* it. We *want* it.

<b>Becuase you apparently cannot handle a high hp fWD car doesn't mean that the person sitting next to you at a traffic light can't.. Or that anyone else on this forum has a problem controlling it.</b>
You're making assumptions. No comment necessary.

<b>The funniest comment I actually get is doesn't the A3 have alot of torque steer.. Sure it may but I honestly couldn't tell you since I have not noticed torque steer in a FWD car in over 5 years now because I"m used to it being there and compensate before it even happens.</b>
Is it so hard to imagine that there are some of us that don't want to compensate for something they can't even notice? ;-)

<b>The same thing goes for lots of torque.. It doesn't surprise me when it comes on or I sense the wheels about to possibly spin. I'm able to back off just enough to keep the traction or on a launch feather the clutch out so it can pull to great 60ft even on street tires.</b>
There is no *right* answer here. Anyway you go, there is a compromise between DT losses, mph, and traction. I think we're in agreement with that.

<b>Just takes time... stop getting pissy becuase you can't handle it.</b>
*pleas* Stop it, I can't handle it!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an A3...