Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Well, Audi is giving me an extra $1000 to trade in my new car for another new one with sport package

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Well, Audi is giving me an extra $1000 to trade in my new car for another new one with sport package

Not so surprisingly, they did not want to change out the seats.

(Recap: The "premium" seats put so much pressure on my mid-thigh that I cannot drive the car without taking something when I get home. Needed Vicodin and naproxin to deal with the pain when I got home tonight.)

Anyway, to their credit, the service manager at Keyes Audi tried for 1 1/2 weeks to find a way to get me sport seats (which I initially test drove and were as comfortable as the A4s I've been driving around for the past 7 years). After every attempt, the result was Audi just wants to change out the car. They offered $1000 extra toward the car, so I'll basically be taking the gap loss up the butt... (and no, I'm not willing to go aftermarket, for various reasons).

Update over.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Josh.........

did I miss something? How long have you owned the 3? Didn't you pick up on the seats being narcotic worthy when you first drove the car? no offense intended.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ugh. It's such a long story...

It took me about 2 days before I figured out *something* was not right. Called the dealer, called AoA. Took about a week before anyone figured out it was the difference between the seats, and not something about the A3 design itself (e.g., pedal position, difference in leg or head room, etc...).

The car is not even a month old yet, and it all irritates me very much. I contacted a few lawyers I know, and it's one of those unfortunate situations where I don't have much of a case, because I simply say "you misrepresented the car" and they reply "the car comes as described." (i.e., it says 'premium package' on the invoice).

I really, truly cannot drive the car as-is, leaving me with 2 options: replace the car, or replace the seats with something nice (e.g., Recaro seats). I feel very uncomfortable with the seat option for a myriad of reasons, and to their credit, the dealer is actually trying to help offset the gap. I do like the A3 VERY much; more than any other car in my price range at the moment.

This gets chalked up as an expensive learning experience for me. It won't kill me; I'll still be able to eat.

Also, I am going to inquire about lease options -- I'm 28, and this is my 4th car (the replacement technically makes 5). That means I've been holding each car on average 3-4 years.

Anyway, that's that...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would really consider getting some good aftermarket seats in the car instead. You will be screwed

on trade-in value.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aftermarket seats will cost me the same as the trade-in loss

Already did all the math. Only losing about $3k on trade in (dealer is increasing the trade-in value to compensate me for the initial error). The tax is where I'm getting the most screwed.

The difference is less than $1000, and that's without airbags in the aftermarket seats.

I don't feel like dealing with the potential safety and insurance implications of removing 2 airbags, and for a few hundred more I'd rather get the addition of the whole sport package and cold weather package.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
yam
AudiWorld Member

Default "Waggin" had the same issue. He removed the seats and bent some rails

inside the seat. The seat is still fully functional. Do a search before you trade the car in. I would be surprised that the sport seats are more comfortable then the premium.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are much more comfortable to me.

Been driving in Audi sport seats for 7 years now.

Appreciate the hint, but honestly, at this point, my particular car just makes me upset. Even if I made modifications, I would still just be irritated every time I sat in the car.

I just want to get rid of it and move on, either replacing with another A3 or a completely different car.

Thx.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You know, I'm done. Audi just called and tried to screw me for every penny with their "offer"

I have no clue what new math they're using, but it doesn't translate at all based on the prices they gave.

I don't like being lied to, taken advantage of, and then told to go F myself when last night I had to take a Vicodin in order to aleviate the pain in my leg caused by a poorly engineered seat.

Audi has lost a customer... I'm heading to the BMW dealer after work to start looking at some possible replacement vehicles.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
yam
AudiWorld Member

Good Luck with your next car. Sorry hear how they're screwing with you.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I remember Waggin was a large guy

and he found a way of making the premium seats comfortable by just cutting and bending the supports of the premium seats. If you are set on loosing your shirt on a trade in, then go for it. But if you want to solve your problem you really need to explore what Waggin did to fix the problem. If you insist on lossing your shirt on a trade in for sport seats that may or may not work, go for it. Just don't expect much sympathy from enthusiests the give you a viable option.

Quick Reply: Well, Audi is giving me an extra $1000 to trade in my new car for another new one with sport package