Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

**WARNING**APR bricks several customers brand new S3 DSG trannys

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default **WARNING**APR bricks several customers brand new S3 DSG trannys

APR has recently PULLED their TCU product from the shelves because customers were driving away and bricking their new DSG transmissions.
So glad that I did not pull the trigger on this! APR if you're reading this I hope that your happy that you rushed the software out the door just to make an early buck. If that is your standard of tuning then GTFO

On that note I believe Unitronic should be releasing their setup soon. Will be waiting for that..
Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi I'd like to purchase the APR TCU software for my brand new s3!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If one is going to post a warning about a supplier's product, links to support the claim should be provided and full details from the manf. should be provided. It appears that availability and compatibility depends on the car's DSG version as per their website:

"Please note vehicle manufacturers issue many TCU part numbers and revisions throughout their vehicle lineup. As such, some TCUs may be temporarily unavailable as new parts and/or revisions are released. If the vehicle’s TCU part number and revision is known, availability can be checked at any APR Dealer."
Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

VWVortex.com - Did APR just pull their DSG tune?

Also: Did APR just pull their AudiWorld TCU S-tronic post?

Just be careful people- Highly advise against the TCU when APR re-releases

Not bricking or worse grenadeing my brand new DSG

Last edited by markN1689; 08-05-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

snagit is right... please provide links.

Second, this is always a risk, no tuner can test like a factory does/can. APR is a solid company and have way more successes than failures, but early adopters are really beta testers.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the link Mark!

Crap, this sucks... thankfully, DSG is good enough for me as-is. Sorry if any brethren/sisteren got snagged by this, yikes... I feel ya.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The OP first heard about this from another poster who heard about from ? who heard about it from ? Even in the linked thread, there was a lot of I heard this or I heard that. Only two claimed to have their transmission (or is it the mechatronic?) be bricked.

There is nothing official on APRs website, only that you need to check which TCU version you have before you can order. Also, it appears that only one version of several transmissions is affected. While there may be some truth to the OPs post, methinks this is not the sky is falling issue it's being made out to be.

Even if there was some problem (and I've not seen anything published directly from APR confirming this, only second hand comments perpetuated by the usual "telephone game"), APR would stand behind any repairs needed that their product or install caused. The sky is not falling and the sun will come up tomorrow. And, if needed, there will be a software revision.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

^^^ Do you think that quote from the VP of Engineering was unconfirmed?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by arU4ic
^^^ Do you think that quote from the VP of Engineering was unconfirmed?
I'm not saying it didn't happen but "yelling fire" didn't seem appropriate here by these observations:

Firstly, the quote referenced was posted by an individual. I'm not saying the quote wasn't legitimate but something direct from an APR rep (they frequently post on AW) or some mention on their website would have provided further confirmation.

Second, if you carefully read the info, only one transmission version is affected. And I could only find two people who had their car "bricked" in that thread on the other website and, unless I missed something, no one on AW so far has reported that their S3 was "bricked" by the software .

Third, if a few owners had problems, I have to believe APR will make it good. They are a reputable company and would want to protect that reputation by taking care of any customers affected.

Finally, (and this is principally why I responded), the OP's post title is shouting "**WARNING**". If APR has pulled the defective software, the news here is the TCU product had an issue for that specific transmission version and is currently unavailable - it can't be a warning about "bricking" a car at this point if one can't obtain the product in the first place. The post instead could have been more on the informative side IMO vs. a sky is falling warning.

Last edited by snagitseven; 08-08-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

APR explains it all in this post, but beware as this OP has the same trolling, APR-hating posts intermixed with real information:
VWVortex.com - APR A3 and S3 2.0T S Tronic DQ250 TCU Upgrade Now Available!

In short, Audi has a problem that losing power during a module upgrade will brick some units. This happened to about 4% of the cars during the first week. APR pulled the tune until they could write software to unbrick them, due to Audi's problem. Then they put it back on the market with this failsafe in place.

I'll go out on a limb and say if Audi had come out with a DSG software upgrade (for their own reasons of fixing some issues or whatnot), we'd hear of the same issue.

Quick Reply: **WARNING**APR bricks several customers brand new S3 DSG trannys