Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 S3 ECU flash question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never owned a 5 cylinder so no idea if I'm missing out . This is actually the first 4 cylinder I've owned since my Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 30 years ago.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robr: You are guaranteed to have fun with a S3. No question. Again, the options available make it a much more attractive option than the 2015 S3 I purchased. My tuning path to 400 HP was quite easy too. Only 2 jobs required work from an outside source. Installation of the new downpipe as well as the larger intercooler. So had to add some maintenance cost to the hardware price. ECU and TCU tunes are electronic but performed by an APR certified tech. Replacement intake, hoses and some other bits were done by me in my garage. I also added a full aluminum skid plate and a chassis brace for the tunnel to stiffen up the back end. Again, the new S3s have some nice features and options. You can't go wrong.

The 5 cylinder does have an extremely distinct sound for sure. In another thread, I wrote that my very first new car was an Audi with a 5 cylinder; 1985 Audi Coupe GT Quattro. No turbo however and only about 145 HP. Owned and drove the car in Germany. This is me coming full circle back to a 5 cylinder again.

If you can work out the possible tuning issues in the area you live, you won't regret a tuned S3. Not for a second.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I visited my shop today to discuss a flash. It seems REVO is off the list. They have an "SPS" module which would allow me to flash different ECU tunes but the "stock" tune on the SPS isn't really my stock tune, it's "similar" to stock. REVO says in order to go back to stock I would have to take the car to my shop and have them do it. If for some reason I'm broken down on the side of the road and need to get towed to the dealership, I don't want to have to first get towed to my shop to have them reflash then from there to the dealership. Or if I want to go for emissions.... going to my shop first to flash just isn't convenient. So I'm still on the hunt for a solution that will let me flash back to stock myself.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Robr; although I have not used their products, give Unitronic a call. I've been researching their ECU flashes for potential use in my upcoming RS3. Apparently very easy to flash back to stock. Have to have their cable and a laptop but seems very straight forward. I used APR products exclusively on my S3. Zero regrets. Stuff works great. BUT I could not flash back to stock without going to an APR rep. Never had the need to flash back to stock however. Good luck with finding your solution.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
The S3 can be stupid fast if I desire it to be. The RS3 will suffer the same fate in some ways by not having enough nice open roads to have fun. But having the potential is always nice!
Its more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Just sayin'.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've decided to go with Unitronic stage 1+. ECU/DSG. While I'd love to go for the stage 2, the downpipe is a non starter. Can't show up at an inspection station in MA with that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please report your findings after all is said and done. Be interested in knowing what kind of performance you end up with with that Unitronic set up.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure thing, but it will be a by the seat of the pants thing, I'm just going to do the flash myself. BTW what's a resonator delete kit? I just googled and found some videos of a car with (Without?) whatever it is, but couldn't find much info about how it works or where to order or what exactly is being deleted.
I had been looking at exhausts but decided I didn't want to take a chance on inspection issues (again, in MA, they do not like aftermarket exhausts unless they are CARB certified), but the sound of the resonator delete is pretty darned decent.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Robr, resonator delete is the the removal of the stock Audi resonator at the end of the downpipe and just before the muffler. Squarish looking item which tones down the volume prior the exhaust routing into the muffler. On a stock exhaust, the resonator delete is awesome!! Adds a nice growl. It is essentially a section of straight pipe added to replace the resonator. Have to have a pipe cutter (available on Amazon) to cut the pipe before the resonator then 3 pipe clamps hold the straight pipe section in place. I did that to my car and loved it. However, I later added an APR cast downpipe. That coupled with the res delete made the car WAY too loud. GT3 car loud. So I put the resonator back on the car and all the world is at peace once more. That being written, you are welcome to have my resonator delete for $50 + shipping if you'd like. Only about 1000 miles of use on it. Like new obviously. Would require the 2 clamps however as I needed those to hold the resonator back in place. Very much worth it on the stock exhaust. Does NOT affect emissions in any way shape or form. PM me if interested please.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the explanation, what was confusing me is you'd think you'd WANT something called a 'resonator' if you want a better exhaust sound . I appreciate the offer, I'll definitely take it. PM sent.

Quick Reply: 2017 S3 ECU flash question