Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2019 RS3 rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 RS3 rotors and pads

Good morning. I have a couple questions about the 2019 RS3 (US sedan). I remember reading a few posts concerning the longevity of the brakes rotors on last year's car (2018 MY). I recall complaints from owners that their rotors required replacement around the 20k mile mark just from normal driving (not track). Did Audi correct this with the 2019MY RS3? My second question - is it possible to change the stock pad and rotors over to a conventional metallic setup? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ntstambo2
Good morning. I have a couple questions about the 2019 RS3 (US sedan). I remember reading a few posts concerning the longevity of the brakes rotors on last year's car (2018 MY). I recall complaints from owners that their rotors required replacement around the 20k mile mark just from normal driving (not track). Did Audi correct this with the 2019MY RS3? My second question - is it possible to change the stock pad and rotors over to a conventional metallic setup? Thanks.
Mine were replaced at 8000 miles under warranty. Grinding horribly, and in the wet wouldn't stop for the first mile or so till they dried out.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

What do you mean by "conventional metallic"? Like an aftermarket pad? If so no more difficult than any other brake pad/rotor change.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a4 4snow
What do you mean by "conventional metallic"? Like an aftermarket pad? If so no more difficult than any other brake pad/rotor change.
I'm just trying to find out if I'm stuck with carbon ceramic brakes. I don't know what my options are as far as what the car will accept, so it's hard to tell you exactly. What can I change without this car throwing codes?

I literally just got the car yesterday and I want to keep it as close to factory as possible. I'm only asking to understand what my options are for when the time comes, or if I have issues with the rotors like others have reported.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just trying to find out if I'm stuck with carbon ceramic brakes. I don't know what my options are as far as what the car will accept, so it's hard to tell you exactly. What can I change without this car throwing codes?

I literally just got the car yesterday and I want to keep it as close to factory as possible. I'm only asking to understand what my options are for when the time comes, or if I have issues with the rotors like others have reported.
Just changed mine a couple weeks ago at almost 32,000 miles, pads only. Rotors are v3. Car is a 2018 that was produced late in 2017 (arrived 11/29/17). I went with the EBC Red Stuff pads for the B7 RS4 as there aren't really any aftermarket pads for the RS3 as of yet. I just heat shrinked the OEM plug to the new pad's sensor wire. (RS4 sensor plug is different than the RS3 plug)
1500+ miles later and everything works amazing!
BTW, there's a giant thread on the pad/rotor issue somewhere in this forum....

Last edited by EXELR8; 06-05-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EXELR8
Just changed mine a couple weeks ago at almost 32,000 miles, pads only. Rotors are v3. Car is a 2018 that was produced late in 2017 (arrived 11/29/17). I went with the EBC Red Stuff pads for the B7 RS4 as there aren't really any aftermarket pads for the RS3 as of yet. I just heat shrined the OEM plug to the new pads.
1500+ miles later and everything works amazing!
BTW, there's a giant thread on the pad/rotor issue somewhere in this forum....
Ahh, thank you...that's exactly the type of thing that crossed my mind with changing out the carbon ceramic OEM setup. I think I looked at that same thread originally and read about some of the issues before buying the car. I'll look again to see if that work around is explained, thanks again!
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...-pads-2970227/
Old 06-05-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ahh, thank you...that's exactly the type of thing that crossed my mind with changing out the carbon ceramic OEM setup. I think I looked at that same thread originally and read about some of the issues before buying the car. I'll look again to see if that work around is explained, thanks again!
I assume you are talking carbon ceramic pads (not even sure if OEM is using this) and not Ceramic Brakes? As far as I know 2019 never offered Ceramic brakes as an option, only in previous years they offered this.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Does your car actually have carbon ceramic brakes? These are an expensive option, and it seems unusual to order it with CCB and then want to take them off and replace them with the standard brakes. Typically, if you were going to track the car very regularly, it may makes sense to do this. But for road use, the wear problems you seem to be talking about are for the standard brakes. The carbon ceramic brakes will last a long time, particularly the rotors, and you must use the matching pads.

Source: GuideAutoWeb: Audi RS3 CCB
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a chance to get a good look at it outside earlier and thank God, I finally got some good news. I had Paul from SupremePower here and we've been focused on the exhaust. I just assumed this car had the ceramic brakes. I remember seeing them before and just assumed the car had them....one less thing to worry about.

Quick Reply: 2019 RS3 rotors and pads