Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

ACC system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACC system fault

Dear all

My car is a MY15 s3, and i believe it got the technology package which included the acc function.
However, the ACC has stopped working recently.
Everytime when i started the car, it said "ACC unavailable, system fault!"
And when I am driving along, a msg will randomly appears "ACC and Audi Presense: currently unavailable. No Sensor vision."
Which is very annoying as it blocks my digital speedo and it constantly pops up. Not to mention the normal cruise control does not work as well.
I have cleaned my radar sensor and nothing has improved.
I have also contacted Audi and see how much is a new sensor and they quoted me $5000, not including labour and coding (I was like wtf).
I was wondering if it has happened to anybody before and if there are better options like if I can plug in a second hand part (i do afraid it may have some sort of protection mechanism like Mercedes and refuse to communicate with my ecu) or perform a software update before I take the car to Audi?
I believe this is the part number for my sensor: 5Q0907541G

Regards
Ricky
Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky92
Dear all

My car is a MY15 s3, and i believe it got the technology package which included the acc function.
However, the ACC has stopped working recently.
Everytime when i started the car, it said "ACC unavailable, system fault!"
And when I am driving along, a msg will randomly appears "ACC and Audi Presense: currently unavailable. No Sensor vision."
Which is very annoying as it blocks my digital speedo and it constantly pops up. Not to mention the normal cruise control does not work as well.
I have cleaned my radar sensor and nothing has improved.
I have also contacted Audi and see how much is a new sensor and they quoted me $5000, not including labour and coding (I was like wtf).
I was wondering if it has happened to anybody before and if there are better options like if I can plug in a second hand part (i do afraid it may have some sort of protection mechanism like Mercedes and refuse to communicate with my ecu) or perform a software update before I take the car to Audi?
I believe this is the part number for my sensor: 5Q0907541G

Regards
Ricky
Similar problem happened to my S3 after a seemingly innocent bump into a car ahead. There was no apparent cosmetic damage but the bumper reinforcing bars were "bent" or displaced which threw the sensor out of calibration. Dealer discovered misalignment (after spending hours trying to calibrate sensor) Body shop fixed the structural bits and Audi did the calibration. Road insurance paid and all has been fine since, 4000 km. The price given to you seems excessive if you do not have structural damage. Audi said sensor re calibration takes better part of a work day, so say 6 hrs. @ $150.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went out of alignment in the first year ('18 RS3) and was fixed under warranty - took <6 hours but understand it's a 6-7 hour job by the book. the bumper has to be r&r'd/etc. I had the same error messages. Apparently if there was rock damage to the sensor I would of been paying for the fix.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that the sensor unit is shot and I might to replace the whole unit. Do you guys think I can purchase a second hand sensor and get it calibrated by a third party repairer? I cannot justify the $5000.00 charge from Audi.