Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Bought a new 2015 s3

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Those cars aren't for sale. They crush them afterwards. I'm having second thoughts about Monsoon gray. All the while I'm looking at Daytona Gray thinking that's the color I'm getting.
I remember looking at Monsoon Gray, looking at its look on AudiUSA configurator not realizing how off its color palette is. There the monsoon gray looks like it has a green hue to it that makes it look nice.

Seeing Monsoon Gray in person, it looked just like the leased Harbor Gray Metallic Sonata I returned.

I stopped looking at Monsoon gray right then, in fact I don't look at any of the Grays because at the end of the day, they all look Gray. Which is too common a color these days.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I remember looking at Monsoon Gray, looking at its look on AudiUSA configurator not realizing how off its color palette is. There the monsoon gray looks like it has a green hue to it that makes it look nice.

Seeing Monsoon Gray in person, it looked just like the leased Harbor Gray Metallic Sonata I returned.

I stopped looking at Monsoon gray right then, in fact I don't look at any of the Grays because at the end of the day, they all look Gray. Which is too common a color these days.
IDK... Something about the Daytona. At this point I'm going to stick it out with the Monsoon Grey. White is too flashy, Black too hard to keep clean, Light silver is even more popular than dark silver. Didn't realize that there were 3 different blacks. Gonna look at the panther black. I never owned a black car., I'm just going by what others said when they say that black is hard to keep clean. My neighbor's dont seem to have an issue keeping their black cars clean. Oh well.... Thanks

Last edited by Spoonie G; 09-05-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those cars aren't for sale. They crush them afterwards. I'm having second thoughts about Monsoon gray. All the while I'm looking at Daytona Gray thinking that's the color I'm getting.
The Daytona launch edition cars are 100% for sale. They are all configured the same way, Premium Plus with a special Daytona 1 package (including Daytona Gray paint, red calipers, black/red seats, and 19" sport package with magride). These have all been produced and will not be orderable moving forward. Both the Daytona Gray paint and the red calipers will be specific to the launch edition.

If you want Daytona, that would be the best way to get it without paying for Audi Exclusive paint.

THere is a threat on Fourtitude with more details: Fourtitude.com - Daytona Grey Launch Editions Spec request
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
The Daytona launch edition cars are 100% for sale. They are all configured the same way, Premium Plus with a special Daytona 1 package (including Daytona Gray paint, red calipers, black/red seats, and 19" sport package with magride). These have all been produced and will not be orderable moving forward. Both the Daytona Gray paint and the red calipers will be specific to the launch edition.

If you want Daytona, that would be the best way to get it without paying for Audi Exclusive paint.

THere is a threat on Fourtitude with more details: Fourtitude.com - Daytona Grey Launch Editions Spec request
Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IDK... Something about the Daytona. At this point I'm going to stick it out with the Monsoon Grey. White is too flashy, Black too hard to keep clean, Light silver is even more popular than dark silver. Didn't realize that there were 3 different blacks. Gonna look at the panther black. I never owned a black car., I'm just going by what others said when they say that black is hard to keep clean. My neighbor's dont seem to have an issue keeping their black cars clean. Oh well.... Thanks
I don't think Daytona is a bad choice if you can get it. It's the only Gray exception I would make if it was available to the A3, simply because it's a really dark gray so it blends the line between if you're not sure on a gray car or a black car, Daytona sits right on both sides based on the lighting.

The other grays will look like gray in the sun, even Monsoon.
White is too boring IMO
and the only black that looks interesting to me is that Phantom Black Pearl, I would say that this and the Mythos Black Metallic are better choices than the plain solid Brilliant Black.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panther Black Crystal has a purple hue to it. And it costs more than the other paint options almost by double. $1075.00.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I switched to Panther Black Crystal. Looked online but pics never (rarely) represent the actual real life color. The Panther Black Crystal pics did look good though. The Moonsoon grey looked bland. Maybe I should go to the dealer and look at the other models that share the same color. Thanks
Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Panther Black Crystal. Looked online but pics never (rarely) represent the actual real life color. The Panther Black Crystal pics did look good though. The Moonsoon grey looked bland. Maybe I should go to the dealer and look at the other models that share the same color. Thanks
I ordered the monsoon grey, after going back and forth with the sepang blue. My thoughts are I want my car to not stand out and look flashy, but be a sleeper car that blends in with the crowd (mostly unless you know what your looking at) I borrowed a monsoon grey a3 for a weekend a few months ago, and it looks great in the light and out of it. Its a lighter color that wont be as hot during the summer months (in Texas) Blue cars just come across as more flashy to me (and I'm not really a flashy kind of person) Another thing to think about (with this particular car) is that if you're tall like me (you can see where the black glass sunroof ends abruptly before the end of the roof-line and switches back to the car paint color. This looks very odd to me on all of the light colored cars (monsoon grey and darker make it much less noticeable)
My other thought on panther black, is it looks nice is person, but is very dark and you pay (I think 1100+ for it?) Currently my car and my wife's car are both a shade above black (carbon steel grey) and they look great, but get dirty very quickly, about a week before dust starts settling on it making it look dirty (even when it hasn't rained!)