Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Driven: 2018 RS3 vs 2018 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I've already driven the new RS5. Took it out a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, it didn't quite do it for me compared to the old one. It lost a lot of what made the old one great for me. That naturally aspirated, high revving screaming engine paired with the awesome track focused S-tronic just puts a lot more smiles per miles on my face. The old RS5 has a lot of R8 DNA, but is overall a more usable package as a primary car. The engine is essentially a smaller version of the V10. The new RS5 was kinda boring in comparison. There are certainly parts about it that are better, but overall I prefer my old one by quite a bit. The ZF8 in the new RS5 while being the best implementation of the ZF8 yet that I've driven just doesn't match the old S-tronic for feel and driving enjoyment. The new one is perhaps a better commuter package, but I don't commute. Most of my driving besides daily errands is mostly for pleasure and the old RS5 has been the best road trip car I've owned so far. Ready to play at a moments notice if a fun road presents itself after some mundane highway driving.
I haven't driven the older RS5, but was able to take the TTRS, RS5 and R8+ out for spins. I ended the RS5 test drive early - I'm sure it's a very competent car, but what was the words I saw on another forum: it's a great A->B car, not a great A->A car. I like my cars small and manic, and hoping we'll see some interesting electric options in the next few years. The potential of very low centre of gravity, great weight distribution, massive torque at launch, and the promise of sub 2s launches is all appealing.

Great writeup of the S4/RS3 debate, and congrats on a sharp RS3!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I haven't driven the older RS5, but was able to take the TTRS, RS5 and R8+ out for spins. I ended the RS5 test drive early - I'm sure it's a very competent car, but what was the words I saw on another forum: it's a great A->B car, not a great A->A car. I like my cars small and manic, and hoping we'll see some interesting electric options in the next few years. The potential of very low centre of gravity, great weight distribution, massive torque at launch, and the promise of sub 2s launches is all appealing.

Great writeup of the S4/RS3 debate, and congrats on a sharp RS3!
Thanks! I appreciate it. It is a shame to hear from multiple that the new RS5 is a disappointment. I have driven an 18 S5 (another car I considered) andI have a feeling I know what you are talking about. To me it felt like a luxury sport coupe instead of a sport luxury coupe. The key difference being the first word is where it felt like the emphasis was put, that and the fact that it felt like it was never going to tempt me to do something fun. I was hoping the RS5 would have been different, but it appears that Audi didn't put enough focus on sporty attributes.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteshadow89
Thanks man!

Thank you!

I noticed that in my S3. The DCT reminds me a little of a manual in the sense of having to finesse it from a dead stop at times, but with the updated TTRS and RS3 DCT's they are still pretty smooth off the line when driving around town. People that buy RS models want a livable car that has the highest tier of driving dynamics from Audi, which is why I am dumb founded that the RS5 has a ZF 8 auto. Wow, that is bad.
Couldn't agree more. I had no idea they were getting rid of the DCT across the board. ZF's are pure garbage. Quick to upshift and that's it. They do not feel good at all to drive, either in traffic or spirited (or both). I guess they weren't making enough on brake jobs.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice review and photography.

Regarding this comment you made: I also have to admit I appreciated the versatility of the RS sport exhaust. Was nice to have the ability to set the engine sound to dynamic to hear more of that glorious exhaust note, and when you want things to be quieter you set the engine sound to comfort which leaves the baffle closed.

I was under the impression the drive select Engine Sound impacts the soundaktor not the exhaust flaps. Is this a specific RS Sport Exhaust detail, that you speak of?

cheers