Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

A few silly questions about the new S3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few silly questions about the new S3

Ok so really liking the new S3 but am on the fence about a few of the options. I mean I could afford a Prestige but would feel better if I could keep it close to base. I want the car and don't want to feel like I NEED things that I know I don't. For example I often need Nav but I don't want to using any multi media stuff so I am considering going after market on that.

So first questions: The screen still comes with the car with no Nav right? and does anyone know any after market Navs that work well, anything that will integrate? I think it is kind of robbery to charge $2500 for Nav when we all know the tech is cheap these days.

Second question is about the magnetic ride/performance package? Is it a must have? and what about the 19 inch wheels? don't they make the ride harsher? what is the benefit of them? Is it just cool looking?

and finally the B&O stereo....is it worth it? Is the stock one bad?

Would appreciate any input and will try to repay if I end up buying one.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with the mag ride, the B&O, and that's it. Every review I saw/read said the mag was a welcome addition. My area is known for bad roads with lots of potholes. So I'm already looking for 18's. A 35 sidewall is just not enough cushion for where I live. As far as the B&O some reviewers said it was great others just good. I went with it, I've never had the upgraded audio. However if it was the $5k that it is in the A6 or A7 I'd prob pass.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a 2010 Q5 without B&O and a 2014 Q5 with. This was after having a 2011 A4 with B&O. It is a very worthwhile upgrade in my opinion assuming you listen to quality music. If you are just listening to radio (AM, FM, Satellite), I would say you are not going to appreciate its upgrade value. With CD, SD card, or bluetooth music like Pandora or Slacker (with high quality bit rate selected in app) you will love the B&O option.

In regard to Navigation, you are not going to find a good alternative that will display on the built-in screen. While it is possible to display screen with some third party device, the integration into the car's controls may not be there. You may be able to use voice control thru a smartphone hookup, but it will be awkward to use. Go look at Crutchfield.com and they offer aftermarket navigation for some vehicles. To get the features of the Audi MMI Nav, you could spend $1000 to $2500. But they don't have one for Audi yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meestursparkle
Ok so really liking the new S3 but am on the fence about a few of the options. I mean I could afford a Prestige but would feel better if I could keep it close to base. I want the car and don't want to feel like I NEED things that I know I don't. For example I often need Nav but I don't want to using any multi media stuff so I am considering going after market on that.

So first questions: The screen still comes with the car with no Nav right? and does anyone know any after market Navs that work well, anything that will integrate? I think it is kind of robbery to charge $2500 for Nav when we all know the tech is cheap these days.
Not sure if it comes with the screen or not. If you don't want to spend the $2,500 don't get it. It's up to you to determine if it's worth it or not. For me its worth it.

Second question is about the magnetic ride/performance package? Is it a must have? and what about the 19 inch wheels? don't they make the ride harsher? what is the benefit of them? Is it just cool looking?
More than just cool looking. A must have if you want to control the softness/stiffness of the shocks. Plus they look 10000 times better than the 18" wheels. I also picked the magnetic ride. But you sound like you don't need it.

and finally the B&O stereo....is it worth it? Is the stock one bad?
Its worth it, but if you are pinching pennies, or not really that into music. Don't get it. And yes.. I optioned for the B&O stereo.

Why not just get a stripped out base model A3? You sound like you're only willing to get what you need. The S3 in base form is a luxury purchase.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I looked up Audi has 3 sounds systems available.

- Standard Sound system
- Audi Sound system
- Bang and Olfusen sound system.

By default for AudiUSA customers, you get Audi Sound System.

In Audi Europe, the Audi Sound System is another option like B&O , their default is standard.

I realized this once when I looked at the UK Audi configurator and then the US Audi Order Guide specifically state we have the 'Audi sound system (180 watts, ten-speakers including subwolfer)'

With that stated, plus the comments I read from other forums how Audi's sound system was equivalent to Bose. I think I can live with not optioning Bang and Olufsen.

I'm sure my old 128kbp and 192kbp mp3s wouldn't have saw the benefit of a 800watt sound system.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Screen is standard on all a3 s3 cars it is how many of the car functions are shown and setup like stereo settings stations etc it's how they were able to get the dash to be so minimalistic.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

S3 with nav = 7 inch screen
S3 without nav = 5,8 inch screen.

B/O is a good option if you really appreciate sound quality. Standard system sound good as well.

I had magnetic ride on my TTS, and it an option I personally don't recommand. MG is really too stiff for roads here (Quebec). Itīs a nice add on for places like Florida where roads are "perfect". If I had to choose, I'll take it just for the 19" wheels
Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eltook
I had magnetic ride on my TTS, and it an option I personally don't recommand. MG is really too stiff for roads here (Quebec). Itīs a nice add on for places like Florida where roads are "perfect". If I had to choose, I'll take it just for the 19" wheels
I thought that the Magnetic Ride gave you the ability to make the suspension soft or hard if you want. I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the stiffest setting "Comfort" is still too harsh?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
I thought that the Magnetic Ride gave you the ability to make the suspension soft or hard if you want. I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the stiffest setting "Comfort" is still too harsh?
I don't received my S3 yet, but on my TTS, the suspension is stiff and magnetic ride made it stiffer when activated. So sport suspension is stiff enough with no needs to have it stiffer with the magnetic ride. If you go lapping now and then, go with it all the way. If you use your car only as a DD, I personally think its unnecessary, unless you want 19" wheels.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by eltook
I don't received my S3 yet, but on my TTS, the suspension is stiff and magnetic ride made it stiffer when activated. So sport suspension is stiff enough with no needs to have it stiffer with the magnetic ride. If you go lapping now and then, go with it all the way. If you use your car only as a DD, I personally think its unnecessary, unless you want 19" wheels.
Does your TTS have a "Comfort" setting? Seems like the Magnetic ride in your TTS and the one on the S3 are two different animals?

Quick Reply: A few silly questions about the new S3