Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

This gives me hope... Android auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This gives me hope... Android auto

http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-put-android-auto-on-your-hyundai-sonata-ri-1721399208

Hopefully Audi does the same for us.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by easymacgyver
http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-put-android-auto-on-your-hyundai-sonata-ri-1721399208

Hopefully Audi does the same for us.
I share your desire, but I would not count on it. I would think that the MMI in the A3 could be updated to have this feature, but I don't see why they would spend the money to develop it when people like us have already bought the car. It would seem that they would like to have this on new models to attract new buyers.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Meh, that AA upgrade is touch screen. Touch screen in the car sucks. I'd rather use MMI. Newer is not always better. AA or CP with MMI connectivity could be good. Regardless, it's always better to wait for 2.0, 1.0 of things like this usually suck.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I not interested in a touch screen for the car. Always smudged and smeared from day to day contact. Looks awful.

All I want is a mirroring option.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

The android auto demo in the mqb s3 was not touch screen, it worked through the mmi and looked quite good. They have already done some amount of work on it. Not sure why it got delayed. With the German auto makers purchasing Nokia maps, they seem to be getting away from partnering with Google and Apple.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't see the need for it.

You can currently pair your android/iOS device via Bluetooth and you can access all your media through the MMI media area.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gamegenie
I still don't see the need for it.

You can currently pair your android/iOS device via Bluetooth and you can access all your media through the MMI media area.
It's not about media, it's about all the other stuff. For one thing, using AA would use your phones data plan 100%, so no need for this cheapo monthly dataplan nonsense. Also, no need to get the navigation package to get good map integration. Potentially in the future they will allow apps like Waze to use AA, which would be awesome (cops up ahead, construction, traffic backup).

The biggest potential win is Android is updated a heck of a lot more than most in-car MMI/nav systems. Car mfgr's have never been great about pushing out updates very often.

At the very least, having AA as an option is great, because you can use it if you want otherwise just use the standard MMI.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being in Tech, I've thought about this a lot.

Presently, like sheep, we still fork out the $3k+ it costs to buy their crappy tech, and I believe that this still works for them financially, until people stop asking for it as an option AND/OR AOA gets more direct feedback AND/OR the other car companies pull further ahead of Audi/VW/Porsche - they won't spend the R&D to catch-up (even to catch-up to 2010 - when the iPad came out).

If they are really, really smart (and I hope that this is true), they will outsource to more consumer focused tech providers (Apple, Google, god-forbid Microsoft) - I suspect that this will actually bring down their costs and increase our experience - everyone wins.

But right now, we're still stuck in 2001 because we keep paying for this ****e.

Mic-drop/ Soap-box step down
Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, one more thing (/Steve Jobs Turtle Neck and Glasses)

and hopefully it's an open platform, so we can have an app store for car info-matic systems... oh man, dare I dream.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is no one is putting the pressure on Audi to do something.

The current 8V MMI is capable of a lot more than what it's currently can do.

There should be no reason for Audi customers to have to resort to VAG-COM to make changes that should accessible in the car menus.

If a California based car company like Tesla Motors can provide OTA software updates to it's cars why the hell isn't Audi doing this?

Established auto makers should be ahead of the curve here and I agree with you arU4ic they are still living in 2001, maybe even 1997 at best.

Quick Reply: This gives me hope... Android auto