Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Haldex Increased Traction Setting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
I suppose we just have to agree to disagree. As I said I had driven several A3 quattros (latest Haldex) practically brand new and they all did this. Perhaps specifically in Comfort/Auto modes. To be honest I don't think I've tried them in Dynamic. They all had a momentary brief slip of the front wheels in the rain when flooring them from a stop, especially with the steering turned slightly. I have a nasty intersection near my house with a stop into a major road with lots of traffic and I have to make an immediate left and gun it sometimes to force my turn. My RS5 regularly did a 4-wheel spin there in the wet, but quickly hooked up, while the A3s all briefly slipped the front wheels for a fraction and then the power was transferred to the rear and they hooked, but not as good.
Okay, I think I might understand why we disagree. I think our definition of slippage may be different.

When I said I have not experienced any noticeable slippage when launching from a stop on a wet road when the haldex is not broken. I meant no tire screeching nor any traction control light flashing. When the haldex is broken, it will screech/hop and the traction control light flashes like crazy.

BTW, I have no doubt that the torsen will be quicker to react vs. the haldex v when the cars are under very slipper conditions. In fact, I have had so many issues with haldex reliability that I will go for a 4 or 5 or another brand if the haldex breaks down for a 3rd time.

Last edited by VWVW; 04-08-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by VWVW
Okay, I think I might understand why we disagree. I think our definition of slippage may be different.

When I said I have not experienced any noticeable slippage when launching from a stop on a wet road when the haldex is not broken. I meant no tire screeching nor any traction control light flashing. When the haldex is broken, it will screech/hop and the traction control light flashes like crazy.

BTW, I have no doubt that the torsen will be quicker to react vs. the haldex v when the cars are under very slipper conditions. In fact, I have had so many issues with haldex reliability that I will go for a 4 or 5 or another brand if the haldex breaks down for a 3rd time.
Yeah sounds like you were thinking of something else. I'm not defining slip. Slip has a very clear definition, in this particular case we are talking about tire slip, which means the force applied to the tire exceeds the available traction and therefore it slips. There are other slip scenarios like a clutch slipping, but that's a different story and yes, I never said traction control would come on. I simply described the reactive nature of Haldex which needs to detect slip in the front wheels first under most scenarios before it decides to shift power to the rear, so naturally you'll get at least a bit of slip in the front wheels.