Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

My new to me 2017 S3! Have some concerns though.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new to me 2017 S3! Have some concerns though.

Hello! I got a CPO 2017 Navarra Blue S3 (with Tech package, sports seats package, B&O sound system, reso delete, dynamic package, and black optics packge) exactly 1 month ago. I freaking love this car! It's incredibly fast, makes great sound (love the resonator delete), looks great, and Virtual Cockpit is AMAZING. To get more into detail, I wasn't exactly looking for an S3 specifically (I was lightly shopping around for m235i's and its competitors) but saw this one pop up. It had a lot of miles for being a 1 year old car (37k, the dealer knew the owner and said the prev owner commuted from portland to seattle often), but since most miles were freeway miles, I thought it was fine.

Now here is where I ran into some problems. 3rd day after I bought the car, side assist and rear parking assist was 'restricted' , and stopped working. I called my dealer but they didn't have any loaners available until 2 weeks later, so I turned the parking assist/ side assists off until then. Also, my windshield wipers were insanely squeaky - and living in seattle, squeaky wipers, let alone new wipers, are very embarassing and annoying because it rains every other day, if not every day here. And on top of that, my driver side windows were clicking whenever I completely closed it.

Now I'm thinking, uh... wow. I didn't see any of these problems during my extended test drives and at the time of purchase - are these just 'Audi' problems? :P Good thing I have my CPO warranty for a few years!

Now I took my car in this monday, and got it back on friday. So they fixed the windows, and the sideassist/parking sensors. Here are the 'red flags' though - they said there has been 'body work' done on the bumper, and whoever touched it last didn't put the brackets back in for the side assist. WEIRD. Carfax/Autocheck didn't say anything about ... body works? Anyway, it seemed to be working good now (although juuust moments ago, side assist was 'restricted' for 30 seconds or so which I thought was weird. It was raining pretty hard, so I'll let that pass. As long as it's working 90% of the time). They said they did not reproduce the wipers. Well no ****! It wasn't raining in any of the days that it was at the dealer. It seems to only squeak badly when it's raining. (Also, I know I can buy new blades or buy rain x and what not. HOWEVER, you guys can't deny the fact that it's a new car and the wipers should NOT be squeaking already).

So.. I'll probably call them this coming monday again, to report the wiper issue, as well as the side assist turning off for a little bit. Other than that, the car has not had any mechanical problems, drives great all the time. One question for you guys is, it seems like sometimes when the car starts itself from the "auto start stop" function, the car stutters rarely, sort of like hesitation to get going. You guys ever get that?

Here's a picture of mine! It's beautiful. Hope to be more active here!
Old 06-09-2018, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Old 06-09-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BEAUTIFUL car... welcome!

Sounds like you need an error scan - so I'm not sure about the electronic errors, but sounds like a mis-calibrated sensor. Definitely have the dealer scan the car for errors.

I can definitely help you on the minor point about the wipers - sounds like its new blades - yes, an A3/S3 thing. I solve this with a blade one inch shorter than stock on the driver side, completely stopped the chatter and squeaking on both my '15 and '18.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
BEAUTIFUL car... welcome!

Sounds like you need an error scan - so I'm not sure about the electronic errors, but sounds like a mis-calibrated sensor. Definitely have the dealer scan the car for errors.

I can definitely help you on the minor point about the wipers - sounds like its new blades - yes, an A3/S3 thing. I solve this with a blade one inch shorter than stock on the driver side, completely stopped the chatter and squeaking on both my '15 and '18.
i might try this out. My 2018 A3 has had a squeaky driver side wiper from day one. Now with 3500 miles it still squeaks everytime it rains lol weird
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, it's a common issue with the wiper blades. Best is to change them but not back to an oem ones.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous S3! Enjoy!
Some good advice in the other posts about what will hopefully be a temporary problem.

Originally Posted by heartbeat91
Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice color. Enjoy
Old 06-10-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OMG. My CPO S3 wipers do the same. Brought it to the dealer and they could not reproduce. Then changed anyway and gave it back. Rained that day and they still squeak.

WTF. Guess I will try aftermarket blades.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh wow. so you guys are saying this is a STOCK problem with s3s? that's .. embarassing!
I know blades are relatively cheap. It's not even about that :P

but.. if there is no choice - any blade recommendations?

also! do you guys keep front plates? do you guys just use the bracket holder fromt he dealer, or is there a less intrusive aftermarket one that hooks to the tow hook? For my BRZ (my prev car) I bought an after market one that hooks to the tow hook, just so the dealer doesn't drill holes into my bumper to get the stock plates up.

thanks guys! nice to meet you all
Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To reiterate, I was was no saying different brand, that didn't help me - as I stated above: " I solved this with a blade one inch shorter than stock on the driver side, completely stopped the chatter and squeaking on both my '15 and '18."

Quick Reply: My new to me 2017 S3! Have some concerns though.