Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New audi Owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New audi Owner with questions

hello Audi owners,

So I just purchased my first 2018 Audi A3 Premium semi new 1500 miles and I have a few questions:

1. I am trying to find out what option package the Audi came with? can I purchase addition options (navigation, MMI, Audi connect)? If so how?

2. why does the Quattro have 220 hp and the non-Quattro only have 186hp? whats the easy way of upgrade / adding more hp?

3. why is it when I input my vin on the audi website it says only USA audi / cant locate vin?

4. why is there a lag when I punch it (gas pedal lol)? I thought the dual clutch would have a quicker response.

looking forward to chatting and possibly tuning our Audi...excited
Old 05-21-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dangittimes
hello Audi owners,

So I just purchased my first 2018 Audi A3 Premium semi new 1500 miles and I have a few questions:

1. I am trying to find out what option package the Audi came with? can I purchase addition options (navigation, MMI, Audi connect)? If so how?

2. why does the Quattro have 220 hp and the non-Quattro only have 186hp? whats the easy way of upgrade / adding more hp?

3. why is it when I input my vin on the audi website it says only USA audi / cant locate vin?

4. why is there a lag when I punch it (gas pedal lol)? I thought the dual clutch would have a quicker response.

looking forward to chatting and possibly tuning our Audi...excited
Welcome and congrats on your new A3! I'll try to answer some of your questions:
1. You can look up the features and options of your car by using this VIN decoder: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Alternatively, if you want to get a bit technical you can look for the PR Code sticker found at the back of the front page of your car's warranty booklet or side wall of the spare wheel well in the trunk. Punch in the codes found on the sticker in this PR Code decoder: PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

No, the factory will not sell your not do they sell you add-on options for your car except accessories.

2. Because your car is just the base model. There are lots of companies that offer performance upgrades. Understand that once you touch your car's ECU and your car gets flagged down with a TD-1 at your dealership, your car's warranty may become void.

3. Try my response to Question #1.

4. The lag you feel is characteristic of turbocharged engines. You'll feel this lag especially if your car does not have a dynamic or sport mode. The lag isn't that bad compared to earlier turbo engines.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
1. You can look up the features and options of your car by using this VIN decoder: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/vindecoder.php
Alternatively, if you want to get a bit technical you can look for the PR Code sticker found at the back of the front page of your car's warranty booklet or side wall of the spare wheel well in the trunk. Punch in the codes found on the sticker in this PR Code decoder: PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

No, the factory will not sell your not do they sell you add-on options for your car except accessories.

2. Because your car is just the base model. There are lots of companies that offer performance upgrades. Understand that once you touch your car's ECU and your car gets flagged down with a TD-1 at your dealership, your car's warranty may become void.

4. The lag you feel is characteristic of turbocharged engines. You'll feel this lag especially if your car does not have a dynamic or sport mode. The lag isn't that bad compared to earlier turbo engines.
Well said
Old 05-21-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265

//

first off, thank you so much for the information (more questions to follow lol)

2. Does the ecu shot a code when plugged in to a diagnostic?
2a. Do aftermarket mods (downpipe, exhaust, intake) void warrenty
2b. Why do the quattro have more hp when it has the same engine (or does it)?
2c. Cant you switch the ecu from performance to base?

4. So suggestion on getting ride of the lag?
4a. Whats the difference in turbos (exhaust powered turbo and normal turbos.. never had a turbo before)

thank you so much for educating me!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

2. ECU does not necessarily "shoot" a code if the tune is done "properly", but when the dealer looks at the ECU code (if and when you have an issue) and if it doesn't match with those on their list, you'll get flagged.
2a. Aftermarket mods only void the warranty on those items unless they can prove that those mods caused other failures, then they can void whatever that was caused by the mods. But it's mostly useless to do mods such as downpipe without the proper tune to go with it, in which case, the tune will cause you to be flagged.
2b. It's so you'll have to pay up to get the more powerful engines - nothing is free. Otherwise, everyone would be buying the base model if there's no difference in performance.
4. Get a tune, but it will void your warranty.

I feel that all of these questions should have been asked prior to your purchase, not after the fact. If you want to keep the factory warranty in check, there's little you can do to improve what you already have. Best is to sell it and switch to the Quattro or S3.

Last edited by XMetal00; 05-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by XMetal00
2. ECU does not necessarily "shoot" a code if the tune is done "properly", but when the dealer looks at the ECU code (if and when you have an issue) and if it doesn't match with those on their list, you'll get flagged.
2a. Aftermarket mods only void the warranty on those items unless they can prove that those mods caused other failures, then they can void whatever that was caused by the mods. But it's mostly useless to do mods such as downpipe without the proper tune to go with it, in which case, the tune will cause you to be flagged.
2b. It's so you'll have to pay up to get the more powerful engines - nothing is free. Otherwise, everyone would be buying the base model if there's no difference in performance.
4. Get a tune, but it will void your warranty.

I feel that all of these questions should have been asked prior to your purchase, not after the fact. If you want to keep the factory warranty in check, there's little you can do to improve what you already have. Best is to sell it and switch to the Quattro or S3.
//

thank you for the info. It has been awhile since i purchased a "newer " vehicle. I am just trying to get other opinions from other Audi owners (ppl that i talk to in person say different, that is why I am asking in here). Just wanted to see what options I have and what others have done to their A3's...
Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my mistake on using the verbiage of "shooting" lol darn it i meant coding or flashing...did i get that right? I thought that if you code/flash upgrade you can also return to factory setting or something like that?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

my mistake on using the verbiage of "shooting" lol darn it i meant coding or flashing...did i get that right? I thought that if you code/flash upgrade you can also return to factory setting or something like that?
"Return to Factory Setting" is a loose term that all the tuners throw out there. Saving your factory code first and then returning to that saved code is the proper way to do it, but Most don't bother to save your original factory code. Instead, they just flashed back whatever version they may have on their database, which may or may not be the same version you originally had on your car. So, do your research on which tune/tuner will actually save your original code for future reflash. Also, there are "flash counters" in the ECU that the dealers can see how many times the ECU have been flashed - so that gets a bit complicated as well.

Last edited by XMetal00; 05-22-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

//

first off, thank you so much for the information (more questions to follow lol)

2. Does the ecu shot a code when plugged in to a diagnostic?
2a. Do aftermarket mods (downpipe, exhaust, intake) void warrenty
2b. Why do the quattro have more hp when it has the same engine (or does it)?
2c. Cant you switch the ecu from performance to base?

4. So suggestion on getting ride of the lag?
4a. Whats the difference in turbos (exhaust powered turbo and normal turbos.. never had a turbo before)

thank you so much for educating me!!!
The response is a lot better if you drive in sport mode. Pull the shifter to D, then pull back once more to engage S. Audis are known to be a little sluggish in regular drive mode.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XMetal00
Best is to sell it and switch to the Quattro or S3.
this is a slippery slope as well.

Congrats on the A3, a great car!

Quick Reply: New audi Owner with questions