Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New Audi owner - winter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi owner - winter issues?

This is my first Audi - had 2 Acura TSX (last 2 generations) before this, and all Japanese prior to that...
Two things I have noticed immediately, having purchased this car in the last few weeks during a cold spell in Winnipeg:
  1. I have washed the car twice, and both times all 4 windows have frozen shut completely. Is that par for the course with these cars? Never had that happen on another car that I can recall.,
  2. Both times I have washed the car, I have lost at least one of the little plastic lug nut covers - are they supposed to be that loose that a car wash wand blast will blow them off?
Any suggestions and/or input greatly appreciated. Hoping I am not going to have to open and wipe all the windows every time I wash my car from September through April...
Old 01-01-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Microfiche
This is my first Audi - had 2 Acura TSX (last 2 generations) before this, and all Japanese prior to that...
Two things I have noticed immediately, having purchased this car in the last few weeks during a cold spell in Winnipeg:
  1. I have washed the car twice, and both times all 4 windows have frozen shut completely. Is that par for the course with these cars? Never had that happen on another car that I can recall.,
  2. Both times I have washed the car, I have lost at least one of the little plastic lug nut covers - are they supposed to be that loose that a car wash wand blast will blow them off?
Any suggestions and/or input greatly appreciated. Hoping I am not going to have to open and wipe all the windows every time I wash my car from September through April...
I've never lost lug nut covers... unless you're using a pressure washer, that seems unusual.

Frozen windows? Is it excessively colder than when you had your TSX? I've never washed my S3 in freezing temps.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was washing the car in a typical coin operated wand wash, but certainly not spraying it a few inches from the lug nut covers or anything - probably a foot or 2 away?
And no, I have been driving an Acura TSX for the past 5 years at least, and I wash my cars at least weekly usually.
This is Winnipeg - freezing temperatures can start in September and run until April, so not washing a car in freezing temperatures isn't really an option!
I read through the forums a bit and found a suggestion to take a credit card and run it between the rubber and the windows at the bottom only - and that was not easy. There was quite an ice bond built up in that area.
It almost seems like there is an indentation there that holds water? I had wiped the car down, though I did not roll all the windows down and wipe the rubber gaskets. That seems excessive?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I use vaseline to ease removing the little buggers. Maybe they were not pushed in all the way?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have much for the frozen windows as I keep her in a garage. But as for the lug nut covers. I hate those, swapped them out for 20 of these. They run between $20 and $30 on ebay, and look soooooo much better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20X-Univers...1aKlB8&vxp=mtr

Last edited by lmariorod; 01-01-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have washed the car twice, and both times all 4 windows have frozen shut completely. Is that par for the course with these cars? Never had that happen on another car that I can recall.,
My windows are often frozen shut with frost/snow, and have had it happen with quite a few cars.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tjacoby
My windows are often frozen shut with frost/snow, and have had it happen with quite a few cars.
Interesting - however the fact remains that I have owned a large number of cars in my 40 years of driving, and have never had all 4 windows frozen closed every time I washed a vehicle.
As I noted, I generally wipe my vehicles down after washing, so that might be part of the reason.
I certainly never worried about it much when I lived in the Lower Mainland for a number of years - a different case in Winnipeg.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well at least the windows don't try to roll down a 1/4" when you pull the door handle. When the windows are frozen shut on cars that do that, I cringe every time thinking something is going to break or burn out.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Windows Frozen

I had a 2006 Audi A6. I am in MI. Loved the car, but the windows froze in the winter all of the time. I have owned about 13 different manufacturers' cars and this is the only one I had a problem with. Drove a Lincoln for five years afterwards. Last Dec I bought a 2017 Audi A6. Again love the car. And again, the windows freeze and won't go down when there is snow, freezing rain, or heavy dew that then freezes. Didn't Audi figure this out in the 11 years since my last one was manufactured? Frustrating as I have to show an ID to go through a gate to get to work in the morning. I am the only one that has to open my door. In addition, the folding mirrors freeze in the folded position. I have told the dealer about both of these and they just shrug as if it is normal and don't do anything about it.

Microfiche - I recently purchased a tool used to break into locked cars. I work the tool in between the bottom rubber seal and the window and run the tool along the seal and that works. The tool costs around $8.00 on line.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I removed the plastic lug bolt covers last time I swapped out my winter rubber. IMO the exposed bolt heads look mechanically beautiful.

Quick Reply: New Audi owner - winter issues?