Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS sports fixed suspension and RS sports exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS sports fixed suspension and RS sports exhaust

Need some guidance.... what are the main differences between their standard version... beside the price.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4-GTR
Need some guidance.... what are the main differences between their standard version... beside the price.
Well the fixed suspension is in place of the magnetorheological dampers. The mag suspension offering in this case allows for adjusted presets via the Audi Drive Select system (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Individual)(And Economy mode in some markets). So in comfort mode the ride compliance can be made softer and when Dynamic mode is selected the dampers will firm up for maximum sport capability. The fixed suspension is just that a fixed damper rate on the suspension, most likely set to a medium hard level.

There's not much information about the "Standard" exhaust option other then the fact that it would include silver exhaust tips instead of the black. The standard exhaust will be something of a rarity for two main reasons. 1. The engine sound of the Inline 5cyl is a defining reason many have chosen the RS3 in the first place so people would tend to accentuate that aspect with the Sport exhaust selection. 2. In the US market at least it comes as part of the "Dynamic" package which is prerequisite for many of the other option boxes to be checked (Dynamic + package, Black Optic package, RS Design package) so I expect almost everyone to end up with the Sport Exhaust.

For what it's worth it appears that the Audi Dynamic Plus option pack (In the US) is sort of a Track Pack, in that it includes Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Fixed Suspension Dampers, Increase of the top speed limiter. The fixed suspension is almost certainly easier to tinker with as far as replacing the shocks/springs with coil-overs. I've read about some issues replacing suspension components on Mag ride vehicles due to the sensors for the magnetic system no longer being aligned/calibrated or even able to work with the newly installed components. Having said this it does appear that companies like H&R do indeed make lowering springs for the MAG equipped vehicles but specifically call out the difference with specific part numbers and ride height differences.

Last edited by Zephyr007; 07-15-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zephyr007
Well the fixed suspension is in place of the magnetorheological dampers. The mag suspension offering in this case allows for adjusted presets via the Audi Drive Select system (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Individual)(And Economy mode in some markets). So in comfort mode the ride compliance can be made softer and when Dynamic mode is selected the dampers will firm up for maximum sport capability. The fixed suspension is just that a fixed damper rate on the suspension, most likely set to a medium hard level.

There's not much information about the "Standard" exhaust option other then the fact that it would include silver exhaust tips instead of the black. The standard exhaust will be something of a rarity for two main reasons. 1. The engine sound of the Inline 5cyl is a defining reason many have chosen the RS3 in the first place so people would tend to accentuate that aspect with the Sport exhaust selection. 2. In the US market at least it comes as part of the "Dynamic" package which is prerequisite for many of the other option boxes to be checked (Dynamic + package, Black Optic package, RS Design package) so I expect almost everyone to end up with the Sport Exhaust.

For what it's worth it appears that the Audi Dynamic Plus option pack (In the US) is sort of a Track Pack, in that it includes Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Fixed Suspension Dampers, Increase of the top speed limiter. The fixed suspension is almost certainly easier to tinker with as far as replacing the shocks/springs with coil-overs. I've read about some issues replacing suspension components on Mag ride vehicles due to the sensors for the magnetic system no longer being aligned/calibrated or even able to work with the newly installed components. Having said this it does appear that companies like H&R do indeed make lowering springs for the MAG equipped vehicles but specifically call out the difference with specific part numbers and ride height differences.
I ordered and RS3 with the standard exhaust. From the April 6 press release Audi says: "In addition to its power output, Audi’s five-cylinder engine is known for its firing order and sound. The 1-2-4-5-3 ignition sequence produces a special rhythm and a distinct engine note that can be controlled by opening the flaps of the standard RS exhaust system."

I am assuming that the "Sport Exhaust" ads black tips and makes the exhaust even louder/distinctive.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blueshift
I ordered and RS3 with the standard exhaust. From the April 6 press release Audi says: "In addition to its power output, Audi’s five-cylinder engine is known for its firing order and sound. The 1-2-4-5-3 ignition sequence produces a special rhythm and a distinct engine note that can be controlled by opening the flaps of the standard RS exhaust system."

I am assuming that the "Sport Exhaust" ads black tips and makes the exhaust even louder/distinctive.
That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if it's possible that it could be TOO loud. When I test drove an AMG CLA45 a few years back I drove one with the Sport exhaust and I remember it being pretty damn loud. Much more than stock.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Obviously "too loud" is going to be entirely subjective, but in my opinion, the sport exhaust is just an enhancement. There's a bit more pop and gurgle, and it is noticeably louder, but not nearly as loud as some of the custom exhaust setups out there.

Mechanically, the standard variant has the valves, etc. The only change for the sport exhaust is the black tips and one added loop on the left hand exhaust structure. I'll see if I can dig up the pics that were posted showing it.

Here's a link to the best comparison I've found between stock exhaust, stock sport exhaust and sport exhaust with some additional modifications.

These are the pre-Facelift versions, so there's been a little tweak in the sound of the new ones, but this video is great because they got 3 cars lined up in exactly the same acoustic environment, so it gives you an idea of the difference in loudness between the different configs. Most other videos stick together cars in various locations, so they aren't as good of a comparison as this.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great info and thanks to all of you.
Does the sports exhaust increase horsepower? Or does it increase the turbo lag on the other hand?

The sports suspension is a pretty expensive option for me even it came with the creamic brake discs and I will skip for sure.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4-GTR
Great info and thanks to all of you.
Does the sports exhaust increase horsepower? Or does it increase the turbo lag on the other hand?

The sports suspension is a pretty expensive option for me even it came with the creamic brake discs and I will skip for sure.
I gotta believe based on the size of the loop, and just on general principle, that the difference would be negligible if any. I'm pretty sure this is an audio-only modification.

Totally agree on the suspension. I probably would have added it as a standalone, but rolled in with the brakes was a no-go for me.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackAce
I gotta believe based on the size of the loop, and just on general principle, that the difference would be negligible if any. I'm pretty sure this is an audio-only modification.

Totally agree on the suspension. I probably would have added it as a standalone, but rolled in with the brakes was a no-go for me.
The cost of those Carbon Ceramic brakes make that Dynamic Plus package a tough pill to swallow indeed. I would have liked the individual tire pressure monitoring and the Carbon engine cover, but those are things that can probably be sorted out after the fact. Since for me the car will likely become my daily driver the magnetic suspension is probably the better choice, even though the roads here in the DFW Metroplex are quite good.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am thinking that the cost of ceramic bakes would have been more expensive than the $4500 option if it were not for swapping from magneto suspension to a fixed "tuned" suspension. Im betting the standard suspension other countries are getting are being sold off as an upgrade in the US. Im guessing if we had the option to build out the car with individual options that the cost of ceramic brakes and magneto suspension would bring the car to over 70k and its not competitive at that price point.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr007
The cost of those Carbon Ceramic brakes make that Dynamic Plus package a tough pill to swallow indeed..
Interesting marketing by Audi US; in Canada we can spec the Fixed suspension without Carbon Fibre brakes. The fixed suspension also brings the carbon fibre engine cover and the 280km/h limiter. I have to think the replacement & maintenance costs are high for Ceramic.

Quick Reply: RS sports fixed suspension and RS sports exhaust