Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 2018 - how to make pops/crackles/shots from the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 2018 - how to make pops/crackles/shots from the exhaust

Hi.
I'm the new owner of the RS3 2018 (made on the end of 04.2018) with SPORT EXHAUST.
The car is a perfect machine in this cars segment ;-).

I did about 2200 km, but have problems with making pops/crackles/shots from the exhaust when downshifting gears in dynamic mode.
I saw many yt films, where guys are able to make shots from the exhausts just after high throttling or downshifting.

In last month, I was able to make it only once during downshifting from 3 to 2 gear without using the power and it sounds great.

How to make it evey time I want?

Best regards.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would like to know if possible on S3 as well
Old 07-20-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you in Sport mode - pull the shifter back until your gear indicator shows S2/S3/S4 instead of D2/D3/D4? I only get the full Sport Exhaust experience in Sport mode, although I could probably also get this if I modify the Individual settings.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe that we have a misunderstanding.

I'm focused mostly on dowshifting.
Imagine that you take of the leg from the power, then you can observe for example about 2.0-3.0k rev/min, next make downshift...do you hear shots from the exhaust?

Best regards.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lukmat: saw your other post about shift lights and how you were not in full manual mode to get the full effect. I have noticed on my RS3, and only had it for a month now, that the exhaust pops and crackles much more in the Sport Auto mode, not in the manual mode even in the Sport setting. Does that make sense? You can shift to manual (paddle shifters) from the normal Drive mode or the Sport mode of course. But when I am in Sport mode (auto shift) the exhaust is much livelier than if I go into the manual mode while in Sport. I LOVE the exhaust not while in Sport mode (again, non manual) so have been driving like that more often. In my former S3, I used manual mode almost exclusively. Not sure if this experience is shared or noticed by other RS3 driver.

Last edited by Fixeroh; 07-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Fixeroth.
Thank you for your comments.

I will check the auto shift sport mode much more.

Best regards.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

lukmat, which model version RS3 have you watched yt clips about? You cannot compare the former RS3 generation to this one. The pops and crackles in the former one are a few levels above.
Moreover, youtubers usually attach microphones to the rear part of the next to the exhaust so in the video you'll hear the pops and crackles much better than in reality.
When I test drove the car, one of the most disappointing issues of the car was the sound. I expected much more pops and bangs.

After a month of ownership, I got to love the bass of the lower RPMs sound. I'm still missing the pops and bangs I had in my 2014 A45 but we, human beings, are getting used to everything.

The only way I can reproduce the pops ans crackles constantly is when the car stopped and the mode is in dynamic and I press on the throttle till 4000 RPMs. In spirited driving, while in manual mode, I couldn't here anything.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Eran.
As you, I started loving the lower rpm sounds.

One thing I love in sports cars is when you downshift and hear while reducing the speed, the engine spins with low bass sounds...
I've noticed that low bass sounds are much better in normal (D mode) drive mode, rather than in dynamic mode (more ugly mettalic sound - it is strange but true). ;-).

Regards.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is the comparison I could have found between the current and the former RS3:
Old 07-25-2018, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The most bad thing is, that there are NO crackles with aggressive gear downshifting - I've tested it in all settings ;-(.

Eran, thank you for your involvement ;-).
Regards.

Quick Reply: RS3 2018 - how to make pops/crackles/shots from the exhaust