Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 DCT is funky?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: Aspen (where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 DCT is funky?

So currently my DD is an rs3. I have a few other cars in my family with DCTs and maybe its just me, or maybe my car is broken, but the car shifts like crap. Whether it just refuses to upshift entirely, misses shifts, downshifts when it really shouldn't, absolutely redlining the engine etc. And its not just when the car is in automatic, in manual mode (with sport) the car still tends to not want to shift, up or down. Sometimes the car will even say it shifted up a gear, but only about 5 seconds later does that gear actually engage... Sometimes in reverse the car is extremely jerky, driving slow etc. I understand the DCT in the RS3 is more performance oriented, thus the jerky nature would be there, but imo the transmission is not performance oriented what so ever. The only time the car actually wants to shift is in launch control... I want to go to the dealer and have the car checked out, I just don't know if this is just me, or maybe a weakness with the RS3. I read somewhere that the TCU is not coded very great, could this be causing all these "issues". My RS3 just passed 1,500 miles and I have had the car for about a month a half. I am finding more and more concerns the more I drive the car. The brakes are extremely squirley at high speeds, suspension is not great (but not bad either haha). Love the 5 cyl though and imo pretty great steering feel and weight for a moderately priced sports sedan....

Last edited by tfsh; 06-20-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I've done quite a few miles in the TT RS and RS3 in various driving situations including aggressive driving in the canyons. The DSG in either car is not the greatest to be honest. For background I DD a 2013 RS5, do weekend canyon carving in the R8, have driven M4s with the DCT just to name a few. All the named cars have amazing performance dual clutch transmissions. Having said that, I didn't quite experience it as bad as you describe. There is certainly some lag, but refusing to up/down shift hasn't been my experience and the lag is more like a second and not 5. There might be something askew with yours.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would have yours checked bro. This is not normal. If you've seen the reviews, they all praise the transmission. Definitely have it checked.

I can't comment from personal experience as my car is still in the break in period so I haven't even used the manual shifting/pedals but I will today just to give you my impression although I won't be able to do full throttle as I limit my revs to 5K RPM since I'm at 1200 KMS still
Old 06-21-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it seems like the TCU controls the speed in which the car shifts based (at least partly) on the amount of throttle you're giving the car. Under wide open throttle shifts are always the fastest. When you're just feathering the gas in daily driving it'll be slightly delayed, even under dynamic mode S.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Location: Aspen (where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano)

Originally Posted by Krillien
it seems like the TCU controls the speed in which the car shifts based (at least partly) on the amount of throttle you're giving the car. Under wide open throttle shifts are always the fastest. When you're just feathering the gas in daily driving it'll be slightly delayed, even under dynamic mode S.
What about if say you bring the car through 1st to 3rd (in manual/sport) and then let off and upshift? Mine outright refuses to do this 9.9/10 times.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfsh
So currently my DD is an rs3. I have a few other cars in my family with DCTs and maybe its just me, or maybe my car is broken, but the car shifts like crap. Whether it just refuses to upshift entirely, misses shifts, downshifts when it really shouldn't, absolutely redlining the engine etc. And its not just when the car is in automatic, in manual mode (with sport) the car still tends to not want to shift, up or down. Sometimes the car will even say it shifted up a gear, but only about 5 seconds later does that gear actually engage... Sometimes in reverse the car is extremely jerky, driving slow etc. I understand the DCT in the RS3 is more performance oriented, thus the jerky nature would be there, but imo the transmission is not performance oriented what so ever. The only time the car actually wants to shift is in launch control... I want to go to the dealer and have the car checked out, I just don't know if this is just me, or maybe a weakness with the RS3. I read somewhere that the TCU is not coded very great, could this be causing all these "issues". My RS3 just passed 1,500 miles and I have had the car for about a month a half. I am finding more and more concerns the more I drive the car. The brakes are extremely squirley at high speeds, suspension is not great (but not bad either haha). Love the 5 cyl though and imo pretty great steering feel and weight for a moderately priced sports sedan....
That is DEFINITELY NOT normal; have it checked ASAP! I have 5-6K miles on mine and have never had those types of issues.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I tried the manual mode in my RS3 today and this shifts both upshifts and downshifts were instant man so I'm certain there is something wrong with your car. Have it checked
Old 06-25-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got mine yesterday. Indeed, DSG, is one of the most uncomfortable robotic transmission in slow speeds but what you are experiencing sounds like a problem.
What other robotic transmissions you've had experience with?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tfsh
What about if say you bring the car through 1st to 3rd (in manual/sport) and then let off and upshift? Mine outright refuses to do this 9.9/10 times.
This may be normal. If it is you are trying to force the car beyond its design limits. Had lots of experience with this kind of thing with my last 6 speed DSG in an Audi A3. Every time I would exceed the design limits I would simply not do that action again in the future. I ended up with a set of rules that kept me out of trouble. All my rules became habits that I carried with me when I began driving the RS3.

In this case it appears that you figure you can shift into any gear (say 4th) at any time. Sadly this is not true. What you are doing (trying for 4th) is something that I would never attempt because I would expect that it would run into the design limit of the car. I have not tested this particular limit, but it sounds like something that the car is not able to do. Of course the fact that you have tried it 10 times seems to indicate that it is not possible. There could be a fault, but this scenario looks similar to what I have come across in the past.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steve111b
This may be normal. If it is you are trying to force the car beyond its design limits. Had lots of experience with this kind of thing with my last 6 speed DSG in an Audi A3. Every time I would exceed the design limits I would simply not do that action again in the future. I ended up with a set of rules that kept me out of trouble. All my rules became habits that I carried with me when I began driving the RS3.

In this case it appears that you figure you can shift into any gear (say 4th) at any time. Sadly this is not true. What you are doing (trying for 4th) is something that I would never attempt because I would expect that it would run into the design limit of the car. I have not tested this particular limit, but it sounds like something that the car is not able to do. Of course the fact that you have tried it 10 times seems to indicate that it is not possible. There could be a fault, but this scenario looks similar to what I have come across in the past.
Hey man, I apreciate the comment, however, im not sure if I understand what you are saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, 4th gear follows 3rd gear?.... (lol) the car is design to shift from 3rd to 4th, or 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th etc.... its the sequence of the gears, if your saying the car wont change gears and thats normal clearly something is NOT. How am i forcing the car beyond its design limits lmao. Its a RS model car, its meant to change gears, not just crawl along at 5mph in 1st gear... there is a gearbox in the car for a reason, i'm pretty sure most cars are designed that way (i can think of the Koenisegg Regera and a few direct drive cars (like some entry level subarus) as the only car with a ICU that dont have gears...)

Quick Reply: RS3 DCT is funky?