Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Hard Wire Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 Hard Wire Time

Got my 2018 RS3 yesterday (Florette Silver). First thing I want to do is hardwire my Valentine radar detector and dash cam. Curious if anyone has done this yet, and any recommendations for routing wires to fuse box. Intend to mount both up behind or close to rearview mirror like I did in my Macan.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone recently posted a link to a company that makes mirror mounts for V1s and other detectors. A bit pricey, but looks like a nice solution. I'm going to be looking to hardwire my V1 as well, once I get my car...

https://www.blendmount.com/

scot
Old 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zzcett
Someone recently posted a link to a company that makes mirror mounts for V1s and other detectors. A bit pricey, but looks like a nice solution. I'm going to be looking to hardwire my V1 as well, once I get my car...

https://www.blendmount.com/

scot
Thanks. I prefer to avoid brackets etc. as they typically take up more space and are more obtrusive than I like. My main objective right now is how to get the power wires to the fuse box in the engine compartment. The owner's manual shows some cars have fuses in a panel to the left of the steering column, but that panel on my car says "air bag" so I'm not about to try to pry it off to see what is in there....yet. I've always tucked the wires up under the front edge of the headliner, then down behind the A pillar cover to the dash, then to wherever the nearest fuse or power source is located.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Have 2017 Q3 but my comment applies to every car I have mounted the V1. I prefer to mount on the drivers sun visor. V1 works great both to front & rear. Also out of sight. Run wire down the drivers A pillar to any fuse that is only hot when ignition is on. My local tech did this in a few minutes for a charge of only $20. If your local tech cannot do this find one that does. I have installed the V1 in about 20 cars this way & the install has never been as long as an hour. Have no experience on cameras but I assume wiring could be done the same way.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keninblaine
Thanks. I prefer to avoid brackets etc. as they typically take up more space and are more obtrusive than I like. My main objective right now is how to get the power wires to the fuse box in the engine compartment. The owner's manual shows some cars have fuses in a panel to the left of the steering column, but that panel on my car says "air bag" so I'm not about to try to pry it off to see what is in there....yet. I've always tucked the wires up under the front edge of the headliner, then down behind the A pillar cover to the dash, then to wherever the nearest fuse or power source is located.
Yeah- that's actually pretty much what I've done in my mk1 TT and B5 S4. So, depending on fuse box access in the RS, I'm open to new methods, if need be.

-scot
Old 08-11-2017, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tonight I took off the panel to the left of the steering column that says "airbag" on it. Turns out it does provide access to the interior fuse panel, and there is no airbag there. Go figure. I routed my wires as described earlier, under the front edge of the headliner and under the weatherstripping along the A pillar cover, then into the end of the dash where I had removed the end panel. It is very similar to the way I did my Macan. Tomorrow I hope to wrap it up by finding a switched spare fuse socket to provide power to my Valentine and dashcam.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tonight I took off the panel to the left of the steering column that says "airbag" on it. Turns out it does provide access to the interior fuse panel, and there is no airbag there. Go figure. I routed my wires as described earlier, under the front edge of the headliner and under the weatherstripping along the A pillar cover, then into the end of the dash where I had removed the end panel. It is very similar to the way I did my Macan. Tomorrow I hope to wrap it up by finding a switched spare fuse socket to provide power to my Valentine and dashcam.
I'm hoping not to take this completely off topic, but I'm in the early phases of considering new vehicle purchase (VW R4 vs Audi S3 vs RS3. I've been a 3-series Bimmer driver forever but absolutely LOVE my wife's new 2017 A4 Quattro, except that it's just too placid. The Catalunya Red RS3 is absolutely GORGEOUS (at least the pics; I've yet to see one in the flesh). Then again, I'm relatively conservative.

I have a 60 mile one way commute on 101 in Sonoma/Mendocino Counties 6 times a month, and if I set my cruise control at 77 or 78, the CHP have never bothered me. Not once, and I've driven passed them ready to pounce, hidden behind favorite trees or billboards dozens of times. 3-series Bimmers are as common as Honda accords here, but, oh, that red RS3!! I'm not on a first name basis with any CHPer, but common sense tells me the lust for snaring one of those would be much higher.

My experience with radar detectors is over a decade old. In an era where the big kills are accomplished with hand-held Laser instant-on units, do you really think a V1 helps keep you insurable?

Thanks so much.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finished the hard wiring for my V1 and dashcam this morning. It was almost exactly the same setup and ease as I had with my Macan. There was a convenient empty fuse slot that is switched. Both wires tucked up under the headliner and A pillar on their way to the end of the driver's side dash. I used the 13mm bolt that secures the dashboard as a grounding point.
Now that that's done, its time to put some more miles on this baby so I can really drive it. Currently at 105. Still trying to get more familiar with different VC views, Apple Car Play, Audi Connect etc etc. Its a little obscure to me, being new to Audi. Maybe it is like switching from PC to Mac.

Last edited by keninblaine; 08-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished the hard wiring for my V1 and dashcam this morning. ..... Maybe it is like switching from PC to Mac.
LOL! I was just researching dashcams this AM so naturally I'm curious as to what you use, pros/cons, how long you've had it, etc. BTW, what's the breakin period for the RS3?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by russbert
LOL! I was just researching dashcams this AM so naturally I'm curious as to what you use, pros/cons, how long you've had it, etc. BTW, what's the breakin period for the RS3?
Here's what I bought 2 years ago for my Macan, and have now moved to the RS3. It just does its thing and I hope to never need it. I don't do anything with it, other than once or twice a year looking at the clips on the memory card to make sure it has been working.

Amazon Amazon

Break in period is 600 miles before higher revs, and 1000 miles for full break in. I'm at 185.

Quick Reply: RS3 Hard Wire Time