Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 Suspension

Hey guys.

Just recently ordered an RS3 in Canada and optioned for the RS Sport package. As some of you know, the sport package removes the magnetic suspension and adds in a fixed RS suspension. Do you guys think the RS suspension will be too stiff for daily driving? I am located in Vancouver BC.

Thanks for any insight
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are supposed to be stiffer than the S3 with magnetic ride and I find that car on the edge of bearable. In fact that was the deciding factor on why I did not choose this option.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

The suspension on this car seems a mystery to me. It appears that in some markets (like UK, Spain, etc), the fixed suspension is standard, and the magnetic ride is an option, so why it's the opposite in North America is puzzling. Test drive reports are all over the place in terms of daily driving. Personally, I was scarred by the suspension when I had a 2003-2004 era RS6 - that was punishing. You felt every crack, tar line, or expansion joint, and even small potholes made you wince. The roads here in Seattle are not great, so mag ride for me.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great question - and there is no answer yet. I'm also in Vancouver, ordered through OpenRoad, and my RS3's sitting in Halifax with the fixed Sport Suspension. I'm coming from a 2015 S3 with Mag Suspension. My rep 'promised' me my wife wouldn't hate the Sport Suspension, but no one really knows.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tophalope
The suspension on this car seems a mystery to me. It appears that in some markets (like UK, Spain, etc), the fixed suspension is standard, and the magnetic ride is an option, so why it's the opposite in North America is puzzling. Test drive reports are all over the place in terms of daily driving. Personally, I was scarred by the suspension when I had a 2003-2004 era RS6 - that was punishing. You felt every crack, tar line, or expansion joint, and even small potholes made you wince. The roads here in Seattle are not great, so mag ride for me.
I concur that the regional differences are damn confusing where it's an "upgrade" or at least an option to change to the opposite variant. It would seem that the adjustable magnetic ride would be the more expensive option and thus be the "upgrade". I've heard that the Dynamic Plus pack here in the US is designed essentially as a "Track Pack" which would make sense as far as the Carbon Ceramic brakes, the increase to the speed limiter, and the fixed suspension. Another observation I've made is that it appears to be easier to lower a car with the fixed suspension due to the Magnetic ride variants tripping error codes when the ride height is changed too much, which makes sense given how magnetic ride systems track suspension travel to adjust on the fly.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tjacoby
Great question - and there is no answer yet. I'm also in Vancouver, ordered through OpenRoad, and my RS3's sitting in Halifax with the fixed Sport Suspension. I'm coming from a 2015 S3 with Mag Suspension. My rep 'promised' me my wife wouldn't hate the Sport Suspension, but no one really knows.
How's the S3 with the magnetic ride? Is it still comfortable for daily driving?

I was hoping maybe one of the European owners would chime in on this post about the fixed suspension, since it seems like the last RS3 is built on a very similar platform.

In the end I still think I'd opt for the Sport Package... need to get that 280 km/h limit increase and carbon engine cover right?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sc604
How's the S3 with the magnetic ride? Is it still comfortable for daily driving?

I was hoping maybe one of the European owners would chime in on this post about the fixed suspension, since it seems like the last RS3 is built on a very similar platform.

In the end I still think I'd opt for the Sport Package... need to get that 280 km/h limit increase and carbon engine cover right?
I cant remember which of his videos he stated it and I cant bring myself to watching them again without suck starting a pistol but he says that he wishes he would have picked the magnetic suspension and that the fixed is a bit too firm.

My wife has a 2016 S3 and I can tell you that I drive it on its softest setting and that is right at my limit for firmness when I hit rough roads.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read an article somewhere regarding an interview with the head of Audi Sport. He stated the sport suspension was not as stiff or harsh as the mag ride's dynamic setting. The sport suspension was supposed to be the perfect compromise for the platform. TTRS included of course. I have a S3 with mag suspension and drive it all the time in dynamic suspension mode. Everything is set to dynamic actually during most of the year except transmission. That I can change quickly tapping the gearshift. I'm quite OK with the ride and Ohio roads aren't great by any means. I do switch to comfort mode in the winter when my winter wheels and tires are mounted.

The speed governor removal included with the Dynamic Plus package is not difficult to remove electronically. Although I recently canceled my RS3 order and decided to keep my S3, I found it really hard to justify the price on the Plus package overall. But if you can afford it then have fun with it!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I read an article somewhere regarding an interview with the head of Audi Sport. He stated the sport suspension was not as stiff or harsh as the mag ride's dynamic setting. The sport suspension was supposed to be the perfect compromise for the platform. TTRS included of course. I have a S3 with mag suspension and drive it all the time in dynamic suspension mode. Everything is set to dynamic actually during most of the year except transmission. That I can change quickly tapping the gearshift. I'm quite OK with the ride and Ohio roads aren't great by any means. I do switch to comfort mode in the winter when my winter wheels and tires are mounted.

The speed governor removal included with the Dynamic Plus package is not difficult to remove electronically. Although I recently canceled my RS3 order and decided to keep my S3, I found it really hard to justify the price on the Plus package overall. But if you can afford it then have fun with it!
This article was in Road & Track (concerning the new TTRS) and it convinced me to go with the fixed suspension. I like that is in the sweet spot for the car's design, that it is less complicated and for me, it makes the RS 3 even more RS. I doubt that it will be much stiffer than my RS 4, but will find out soon enough!

Reil says he prefers the TT RS with fixed dampers, like the car we're driving today. Magnetorheological dampers are also available;

Comfort mode is a bit more forgiving, and Dynamic mode, that much stiffer. But the passive dampers seem just right, even on cracked tarmac. You can definitely feel the road surface through the structure and the seat, but it isn't unpleasant. I hesitate, afraid to sound like a wimp, but tell Reil that many new sports ears seem too stiff for their own good. Softer, comfort-oriented modes often get better traction on uneven asphalt. He nods again. "Too much stiffness comes with a penalty. Most production ears don't have enough wheel travel. So when the car is overly stiff and you're on a surface with a lot of variation, the wheels aren't actually touching the surface as often. It's simple. When you lose your grip, you lose time." We've been driving for several hours when Reil pulls into a parking area near an autobahn on-ramp for a break. When it's time to get back in the ear, I suggest we switch places. He seems surprised--it apparently hadn't occurred to him. Obviously he isn't often a passenger. But Reil cedes his seat, and I follow his directions around a traffic circle and sprint onto the autobahn.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken-yyz
This article was in Road & Track (concerning the new TTRS) and it convinced me to go with the fixed suspension. I like that is in the sweet spot for the car's design, that it is less complicated and for me, it makes the RS 3 even more RS. I doubt that it will be much stiffer than my RS 4, but will find out soon enough!
You'll definitely have to report your findings to us! Would be helpful if Audi could first supply you with the car however. Sorry for your wait.

Quick Reply: RS3 Suspension