Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Tires .... Did You Know That ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
My torque wrench for wheel work is set to 90 lb ft of torque. Believe that's pretty standard for most passenger vehicles and sports cars with traditional lug nuts or bolts. Pickup trucks, another story. Remember to retighten after a few days driving. Did you ever get one of the plastic bolt cap/cover extractor tools from Audi? Makes popping those covers off super easy. As I recall, you could not find yours. Considering the caps are plastic, I may buy some to have around as spares if I ever lose any or break any doing wheel work.
Yes, I will re-tighten on Friday (at least that's my plan). I did not ever find the tool so I purchased some needle nose pliers to keep in my Audi tool kit. I will pester the dealership eventually (it's an hour+ away).
Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it's 90, which is pretty standard. I think the general rule of thumb is 90-100 is good.
Thanks for verification on the 90 - 100 lbs (120 - 135 nM) of torque setting. Much appreciated!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
Yes, I will re-tighten on Friday (at least that's my plan). I did not ever find the tool so I purchased some needle nose pliers to keep in my Audi tool kit. I will pester the dealership eventually (it's an hour+ away).
It looks like this is a Bill of Materials issue with Audi - they tend to ship the same tool regardless which wheels you have. I got the metal tool, which is supposed to be for the non-black optics S3 (for removing the single center hub and bolt cover). My black optics S3 wheels needs puller for the individual bolt covers. I never bother to complain as the correct puller is less than $5.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The cap removal "tool" is just a tiny loop of wire - its probably there, just not very obvious. Easy to get online for a couple bux if you can't find it.

I've never heard of tires filled with foam - that's a new one. I'm going -1 on my car to get a bit more impact resistance with 18's.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spinnetti
The cap removal "tool" is just a tiny loop of wire - its probably there, just not very obvious. Easy to get online for a couple bux if you can't find it.

I've never heard of tires filled with foam - that's a new one. I'm going -1 on my car to get a bit more impact resistance with 18's.
That's the problem, the cap removal "tool" is there, just the wrong one provided for my specific car.

FYI - here's a video on what's inside a Pirelli tire with foam =>
Old 07-18-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what the cap removal tool is supposed to look like on the RS3

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1444_.jpg
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westmc
This is what the cap removal tool is supposed to look like on the RS3

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1444_.jpg
That's also supposed to be the same tool for my S3 with the black optic package. However, I was supplied with this tool instead => https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by XMetal00
That's also supposed to be the same tool for my S3 with the black optic package. However, I was supplied with this tool instead => https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
This is what is in my tool kit as well INSTEAD of what WESTMC posted which is what I should have had. The needle nose pliers work very well fortunately.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just a continuing followup .... I received a confirmation email today from the additional insurance for tires/wheels/keys/etc. that a check for the full amount has been approved and will be mailed to me tomorrow from Texas. I should receive the reimbursement by the end of next week.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excellent news Russbert! Nice to see something works as expected.

On the plastic cap removal tool which westmc posted, I recommend getting 1 or 2 over using needle nose pliers. The Audi tool slides over the sides of the individual caps and 2 flanges click over the base of the plastic cap on the open end. Makes it mega easy to remove the caps without scratching them or perhaps distorting their shape. Just a suggestion on my part. Can't really see them when pushed back into place but doubt you want to mess then up in any way. I did NOT find that tool in my RS3. But I found it in my wife's Q7 and used that to aid in removing both front wheels when I installed my air splitter. Pretty sure your Audi dealer will just give you one if you ask nicely. Mine better anyway considering how much money they've made off of us.

Quick Reply: RS3 Tires .... Did You Know That ....