Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no, this thread has been resurrected!

Well originally I wasn't planning on posting until the weather warmed up sufficiently (for more than a few days) so I could take the RS3 up into the mountains and drive it on the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway (border of TN/NC) and see how it really feels and compares to previous 911. But I recently drove down to Alabama and had a couple of small but interesting things occur that I hadn't noticed before or hadn't happened before.

First, I had never noticed that the RS3's clock will automatically change when you cross time zones. Pretty sweet. As soon as I got west of Chattanooga, TN into the Central Time Zone and thought about changing the clock, I noticed it was already done. It's quite quick as well (much quicker to recognize than my iPhone) but maybe that's a bad comparison.

Second, the car always "dings" when you get down to 30 miles left on a tank of gas (most of you probably already know that). The white fuel line turns red, and a yellow gas pump lights up on the dash and turns on and off periodically. You also get a little message on the NAV asking if you want it to find a gas station for you. But do you know what it does when it hits ZERO (0)? You get a REALLY LOUD 'DING' (my wife actually jumped and said what the heck was that?), the red fuel line now begins to flash constantly, you get a HUGE WARNING on the dash stating you are going to die (OK, may I stretched the truth a little on that one), the yellow gas pump goes spastic (on and off continuously) and the zero never changes. I only mention this as my 911 would actually show negative numbers which was interesting (only did it once).

And the question you all want answered is, "so how much gas was left in the tank?" It was either a gallon or 0.9, I don't remember exactly but I still had 20+ miles before true empty.

Personally I would like the car to go ding, then Ding, then D I N G .... and then 'Seriously are you out of your *#*(&! MIND? STOP this instance!'
Old 04-12-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I believed the clock gets updated through GPS, which is relatively quick provided you got GPS reception.

Not sure if I like the constant pestering with the low gas. Sometimes, it makes you more nervous in an already tensed situation as you know the next gas station may not be available for another 20 miles or so down the highway.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
+1 As an CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) I *always* worry about things being hacked, especially given the last large DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attack was made using refrigerators, etc that carelessly IMO use the Internet without the proper security precautions. I've also been watching the new "signal booster" attack that is occurring on some of these newer cars with keys like ours that allow thieves to boost the signal from your key (your car is parked outside, while you and your car key are inside) which allows them easy access to your car and drive it away.

What other Audi site are you referring to? At this point this is the only one I'm following so I'd be interested in other opinions re: other Audi sites (good or not so good). Thanks.
DDOS

IOT devices another eye roll.

Better faraday cage your remotes at night.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Doug DeMuro reviews the RS3:

Old 04-12-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by XMetal00
I believed the clock gets updated through GPS, which is relatively quick provided you got GPS reception.
That's what I assumed as well given how quick it was which I liked.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by keyeslol
.... Better faraday cage your remotes at night.
Microwave will work well .... as long as no one turns it on!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TS2131
Doug DeMuro reviews the RS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBiYn0l47XQ
Overall I thought this was a great (i.e., reasonably accurate assessment) review. However I do want to weigh in on a couple of Doug Scores. Handling = 6, in absolute terms I would agree as my 911 was much better. But in terms of 'value' (price vs performance) I would personally give it a 7. Cool Factor =6, again in absolute terms I agree but that is why I give it a 7 because of the stealth factor that 'lack of coolness' provides. I really LIKE NOT being noticed as much by the police everywhere versus the 911. Also the people who REALLY know cars truly understand and appreciate what the RS3 is. And coming out tied with the Honda S2000 on the weekend score ... NOT IN MY BOOK it doesn't!! I also thought Practicality should be a 5 versus a 4 but does have limitations for most people as the trunk really is smallish (especially for a family, not too bad for just my wife and I).
Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated on your impressions, Russ. And if Doug says that the RS3 is the best new Audi then that is fairly high praise coming from him. Time to watch the video!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, video watched. I actually learned some things (like that tip about keeping the sunroof open and the mesh screen shut to better hear the exhaust) and you could tell Doug really liked the car and that his enthusiasm for it was genuine. The lack of power seats is still perplexing to me but I know that horse has already been beaten to death. Otherwise, I think that Audi has done a pretty fantastic job with the RS3.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think Doug tends to have a 'supercar' ratings scale. For example, I think the RS3's 0-60 time was 3.8 seconds, and he only gave that an 8. And I'm pretty sure his ratings are meant to be in absolute terms - he doesn't adjust his ratings for value, since it's its own category.

Quick Reply: Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions