Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hbcucat
That's all that matters at the end of the day! Glad you're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to having an S3 as a daily again. The looks are killer, gas mileage decent, and performance is great for a daily.
So I'm curious, I am *assuming* that the S3 does NOT suffer from the same low end lag? Is it geared differently (assuming it is)?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
So I'm curious, I am *assuming* that the S3 does NOT suffer from the same low end lag? Is it geared differently (assuming it is)?
So I went from an S3 to an RS3 right at end of my S3 lease. And it seemed like the lag in the RS3 was significantly worse, but that could be due to how hard the turbos kick in with you gas it. But I believe the RS3 has bigger turbos and the engine etc. is set up for high revs which result in slightly less punch down low in daily driving situations. Someone here probably could tell you more of the technical differences but yes, it seemed there was a bit more lag with the RS3 relative to what I was expecting coming from the S3. I did a review on YouTube, and well, a lot of Audi fans thought I was bashing the RS3 but in reality I was just trying to say the car was not an ideal daily drive for me personally...

Video got over 200k views i just realized... damn
Well at least people will see I'm not an Audi hater when I post a video buying my used S3..

Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, my wife (who has a degree in interior design) convinced me to go with that combination and I really, really like it as well so thanks.

Your next question (re: low end lag) has a multipart answer: in (D)og / (D)ocile / (D)rag / you get the idea, I find it barely acceptable for this time of car and I only use it in heavy traffic where I am not going to get anywhere fast anyway. While Stage 1+ ECU tune may help some, I have to agree with others that a DCU tune would probably be extremely beneficial once it becomes available. This will have to be a personal financial decision for me since the dealership is VERY non-friendly or understanding when it comes to mods.

Putting the car into (S)port / (S)weet / (S)upercharged mode, is much, much better but then my only first world complaint / concern is how long it holds the gears before shifting (especially 3rd). I absolutely love and have NO low end lag when using the car in (S) mode and using Manual (DSG). That's when I get the best of both worlds and really love the car a LOT!
This is good to hear about sport mode and no lag. I always drive in manual mode anyways and plan on going into manual mode from S mode for the higher idle revs as well.

I'd imagine that getting rid of the secondary cats would help a little as well? Maybe someone can chime in on that
Old 08-30-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to everyone but I had cataract surgery yesterday for the left eye and the right is scheduled in a couple of weeks so hopefully my spelling is OK.

Michael818, please keep in touch as I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. As I'm getting older too and my eyes are now being worked on, I was seriously considering one last Porsche fling myself ... possibly, so I will be very anxious to hear about your experiences in the Cayman GTS as it was on my list as well. Which Porsche forum do you usually frequent as I used to follow them all.

The Porsche's were absolutely awesome on those mountain drives. Basically my wife and I preferred her Boxster S on the Tail of the Dragon and the Turbo on the Cherohala Skyway with its sweeping curves and high elevation (over 6,000 ft, well that is for us). Hope to hear from you soon.
Hi again,

I usually frequent Planet 9, I always liked the give and take on that forum. Rennlist is okay but too serious and Dorkiphus I basically avoid. I'm not anticipating getting into the car before March at the earliest. I'll probably put the RS3 up for sale after the new year and hope someone wants a pristine car with low mileage and some extras like AudiCare already paid for. The winter wheels and tires will probably go separately. I wish I could keep both cars but that's just not possible for me. I will check in as things progress.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, that's an easy answer. You DEFINITELY MUST break it in first ***OR*** you should DEFINITELY NOT break it in!!

The group is very split on this answer as it's been discussed previously. I basically followed the break-in plan with some higher RPMs periodically later in the break-in period and ONLY AFTER thoroughly warming up the engine, oil, etc first. So far .... so good!
Thanks Russ.
I also opted to break it in....even after I floored the car during the test ride. I hope there were not too many test drives before me. I got it with 30 miles on it.
Loving it so far!
P
Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by michael818
Hi again,

I usually frequent Planet 9, I always liked the give and take on that forum. Rennlist is okay but too serious and Dorkiphus I basically avoid. I'm not anticipating getting into the car before March at the earliest. I'll probably put the RS3 up for sale after the new year and hope someone wants a pristine car with low mileage and some extras like AudiCare already paid for. The winter wheels and tires will probably go separately. I wish I could keep both cars but that's just not possible for me. I will check in as things progress.
Thanks as I never used Planet 9 and I looking forward to hearing your comments as you move forward. Best of luck selling your RS3; you shouldn't have too much of an issue IMO.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by prs3p
Thanks Russ.
I also opted to break it in....even after I floored the car during the test ride. I hope there were not too many test drives before me. I got it with 30 miles on it.
Loving it so far!
P
Glad to hear that you're really enjoying the car so far.

I usually go half way into a break in period (in this case 500+ miles) before I start adding higher and higher RPMs to really seat everything well. Have fun!

I do understand the counter arguments on newer engines and tighter tolerances but this process has always worked for me so it is one I usually follow.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Russ, you'd be proud of me. Despite getting an APR Stage 1 93 octane tune almost a month ago, I've actually been generally following smart break in policy with the car. At around 900 miles now and have opened it up some but never gone 100% WOT or gotten anywhere near redline to date. THAT is about to change of course. Had the car since the end of June but my work trips have left the RS stranded in the garage. Hoping to get to an area in southern Ohio known as Hocking Hills sometime during the long weekend. Best place in Ohio to drive. Car magazines like Car & Driver and Road & Track even come down from Michigan to test exotics in the Hocking Hills area. Know your semi close Tail of the Dragon is world famous but understand it's usually crowded and fairly low speed overall due to the super winding nature. Hocking Hills is the closest thing to the Nurburgring that I have here! Going to let the horses out of the stable...............
Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
Russ, you'd be proud of me. Despite getting an APR Stage 1 93 octane tune almost a month ago, I've actually been generally following smart break in policy with the car. At around 900 miles now and have opened it up some but never gone 100% WOT or gotten anywhere near redline to date. THAT is about to change of course. Had the car since the end of June but my work trips have left the RS stranded in the garage. Hoping to get to an area in southern Ohio known as Hocking Hills sometime during the long weekend. Best place in Ohio to drive. Car magazines like Car & Driver and Road & Track even come down from Michigan to test exotics in the Hocking Hills area. Know your semi close Tail of the Dragon is world famous but understand it's usually crowded and fairly low speed overall due to the super winding nature. Hocking Hills is the closest thing to the Nurburgring that I have here! Going to let the horses out of the stable...............
I'm in Blacklick. I'll roll with you if you want. I'll bring the Lambo or my S3...
Old 08-31-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hbcucat: That sounds awesome! However, found out through a friend that ALL the campsites in the Hocking Hills area are booked solid for the weekend. Meaning loads of campers and tourists driving about. Doesn't seem like a good weekend for a joyride there after all. Damn the luck. May have to take off in the middle of the week for that joyride. Thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply: Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions