Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 T-Boned by lady backing up out of her driveway...How do I handle State Farm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance will pay the minimum they feel necessary. You CAN ask for higher-level repairs, but you have to pay the difference.

Also, you can sue the other party for resale value loss because of the damage and repairs that will be on record. Speak to a lawyer.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
Insurance will pay the minimum they feel necessary. You CAN ask for higher-level repairs, but you have to pay the difference.

Also, you can sue the other party for resale value loss because of the damage and repairs that will be on record. Speak to a lawyer.
You have to read and understand your policy, because none of what you wrote is universally true.

Example - I have an older Audi as a "beater" - a 2008. It has 159k on it now, had about 14xxxx when I hit a deer last summer. The initial estimate insurance gave me included using aftermarket parts. I work for Audi, so did not want to use anything aftermarket. A 4 minute conversation with the adjuster, and it was taken care of to my satisfaction. I never met with anyone, most things were done via text in fact, including me submitting a walkaround of the car and the damage. Once the shop got into the repairs, there were a few other minor things that needed to also be fixed as a result of the incident. Once again, easy. Body shop sent the info to insurance, insurance company issued a further supplemental check for this stuff within 24 hours. This was all handled with Progressive fwiw, and I had no broker, just direct with the company.

I live in PA, which does not allow for diminished value claims to the best of my knowledge. The lawyers here can answer specifically, but most states as I'm aware, do not have such provisions. Yes you can try and sue the other party for diminished value directly. What you'll spend on fees, not to mention what you'll spend in time, is likely larger than what you'l recover in damages, if the other party has the ability to pay in the first place.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 06-21-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
You have to read and understand your policy, because none of what you wrote is universally true.

Example - I have an older Audi as a "beater" - a 2008. It has 159k on it now, had about 14xxxx when I hit a deer last summer. The initial estimate insurance gave me included using aftermarket parts. I work for Audi, so did not want to use anything aftermarket. A 4 minute conversation with the adjuster, and it was taken care of. I never met with anyone, most things were done via text in fact, including me submitting a walkaround of the car and the damage. Once the shop got into the repairs, there were a few other minor things that needed to also be fixed as a result of the incident. Once again, easy. Insurance company issued a further supplemental check for this stuff. This was all handled with Progressive fwiw, and I had no broker, just direct with the company.

I live in PA, which does not allow for diminished value claims to the best of my knowledge. The lawyers here can answer specifically, but most states as I'm aware, do not have such provisions. Yes you can try and sue the other party for diminished value directly. What you'll spend on fees, not to mention what you'll spend in time, is likely larger than what you'l recover in damages, if the other party has the ability to pay in the first place.
Thank you for all the replies. My own insurance company wrote it for 6 hours of work to fix it. Country Mutual, but I took it to the only certified Audi body shop today and he wrote it for 24 hours. So that will be the first rub but I am already on a daily call regiment till this is handled. I will just be a nuisance till I get what I need.

I am very upset with CPD not writing the other driver for being on her phone. I sent my insurance company and hers video surveillance of her on her phone when the accident occurred but only hers seems interested in seeing it.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by LostAudi
Thank you for all the replies. My own insurance company wrote it for 6 hours of work to fix it. Country Mutual, but I took it to the only certified Audi body shop today and he wrote it for 24 hours. So that will be the first rub but I am already on a daily call regiment till this is handled. I will just be a nuisance till I get what I need.

I am very upset with CPD not writing the other driver for being on her phone. I sent my insurance company and hers video surveillance of her on her phone when the accident occurred but only hers seems interested in seeing it.
Good luck with it. This is, unfortunately, the time where you find out how good the company you have is. Any questions, lmk, and stay tough, so it's fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Good luck with it. This is, unfortunately, the time where you find out how good the company you have is. Any questions, lmk, and stay tough, so it's fixed to your satisfaction.

I just got off the phone with State Farm the other drivers Insurance, and she told me I could file a diminished value claim, and since I work at a dealership group I should be able to provide proof. OK i am starting to feel better as long as fault is placed properly. Is there any second route I can go if they place blame improperly?
Old 06-30-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey man. sorry this happened. 2 months into my 2017 s3 ownership, a grandma hit me dead on in my quarter panel on the freeway (i was dead stopped in traffic, she claimed that the brake pedal 'accelerated' the car... yeah ok granny)
So yeah. Make sure you find a reputable bodyshop, don't 100% rely on yelp reviews or online reviews, talk to them and make sure they sound like non-sleazy people.

Also, make sure that you file for diminished value claim. Your car is relatively new, so you should get some pay out because your accident will go on record, and the market value will drop because of that. For your reference, I got about 6 grand for the diminished value payout.
Hope it helps.