Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Sanity check - almost stalling my A3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanity check - almost stalling my A3?

Ever since I've been in my 2015 A3 Premium Plus, I have felt that it has a weird issue with the transmission. I've brought it up to my service adviser, but he sort of shrugged it off.

In short, my A3 exhibits some of the negative aspects of a manual... you know in a manual car when you’re in gear and you take your foot off the accelerator, it kind of jumps around since the gear is still engaged? I absolutely get that experience in my A3 at low speeds. And the transmission seems to be somewhat aggressive when breaking (using the engine to slow down the car). The service adviser cited that's how the Direct Shift Gear feels.

And lately, when I shift from R to D--even if I am fully stopped during the gear change--the car initially feels like it's about to stall. I'm pretty sure one of these days it absolutely will. Never experienced anything like this in an automatic transmission car before. AND when I've been in A3 loaners, they don't have this strange feel to them.

One final data point -- sometimes, not always, when I turn off the engine with the push button, it feels like my car shudders as it shuts off. Not a nice clean shutdown, but something I'd expect from an older car.

So, I guess my sanity check is this -- does this really sound like how an Audi should be? Am I being overly aware of my car, perhaps?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine behaves exactly the way you describe. My old 2010 TT, which also had a DSG, behaved similarly but not nearly to the same extent.

I've found that it's worst when going from reverse to forward, to the point that I need to come to a complete stop before switching gears. This wasn't the case in my TT. A rolling shift from backward to forward causes such excessively harsh lurching / thunking from the transmission that I'm afraid it's going to eat itself if I continue to do it.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:31 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Va_TTer
I've found that it's worst when going from reverse to forward, to the point that I need to come to a complete stop before switching gears.
Same here.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Remember, the DSG is not an automatic, but an automated manual. It has no torque converter to absorb the minor clutch engagements, etc. I have DSGs on both my S3 and my Golf, and love them for the awareness and control DSG gives me.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same issue of almost stalling when going from R -> D on my 2016 A3 2.0T Quattro with 22k miles on it. It has been happening from the beginning randomly maybe once a week or every couple of weeks and I cannot find out what exactly makes it happen. I've talked to 2 different Audi service advisors and they all say they don't know what it is and if they cannot reproduce it, they won't be able to fix it.

Any new finding/advise on this?
Thanks... HoSsEiN
Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ho3iN
Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same issue of almost stalling when going from R -> D on my 2016 A3 2.0T Quattro with 22k miles on it. It has been happening from the beginning randomly maybe once a week or every couple of weeks and I cannot find out what exactly makes it happen. I've talked to 2 different Audi service advisors and they all say they don't know what it is and if they cannot reproduce it, they won't be able to fix it.

Any new finding/advise on this?
Thanks... HoSsEiN
The manual for my 2015 A 2.0T Quattro says with the DSG transmission to wait for a count of "2" (if I recall correctly) when going from R --> D. I do that and have never had a problem.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audios00
The manual for my 2015 A 2.0T Quattro says with the DSG transmission to wait for a count of "2" (if I recall correctly) when going from R --> D. I do that and have never had a problem.
hmm... that is interesting!
I'll see if I can find it in my manual... Thanks for the reply.