Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

so.. got rear ended. need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gamegenie
You should only taken your car there to get a quote. Get a quote from them, get a quote from the certified Audi repair center, and another quote.

Did you get your insurance involved? Your insurance should be helping you with this, they determined the fault is the other driver, they will help get your car repairs and go after the other insurance for the deductible and repair fees.

I did this back when I was in an accident with my Hyundai Sonata I was leasing. I got a quote from 3 different shops including the dealer collision repair shop. Ultimately took it to the Dealer's collision repair shop to get resolved as the other driver who was a fault insurance was footing the bill. My insurance made it easy for me, they did the heavy work, and provided me the damage estimator, and I provided him the quotes collected from the repair shops.

With my A3 any issue I get, (primarily door dings, and rear bumps from *******s) I take my car to the certified Audi Collision Center for damage repair. I'm not dealing with no 3rd rate shop to work on my car.
oh boy. So since my car has already been towed to Bellevue Collision center, I don't know if I can go shoppin for quotes. I will ask my lawyer if it's still possible, but I bet it's likely they'll say it's too late.

Yes, I did get my insurance involved, but I did hire lawyer (because my dad insisted that I do for a collision like this because the injuries were non-zero, and the repairs will probably over 10k). So long story short, the other party's insurance liability is not enough, so my lawyer is using my insurance with geico, and will be subrogating deductibles and all charges to the other insurer (as you have already said). My only problem, as stated above, is that my lawyer recommends that I do not wait until the audi certified shops are available because I do not have rental coverage on my insurance, and the other insurer's liability is low. So at the end of the day, they will still subrogate the rental fees (i actually just picked up a ****ty nissan versa today, $522 for 2 weeks. wow. ) thru the other insurer, but I was told to get something cheap because at the end of the day I don't have rental coverage and it'd be out of pocket until subrogated.

So ... yes, i will ask my lawyer if i can still have multiple shops for quotes first thing in the morning. Anything else?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

update: got a call from geico claims adjuster today. initial estimate is $12k, and will most definitely rise after they take the car apart to see what electrical component (sensors and stuff) damage there is. The guy also said he'd guess 30 days for the repair. oof, nissan versa for 30 days. just shoot me...

one thing that felt bad was, geico person said that they had a trunk piece from another s3 (from the junkyard or something probably) that they would use to replace mine from the crash. I fought hard to just get a new one, but apparently this is policy and I can't really do anything. However, the body shop guy at Bellevue Collision center told me that if it looks anything short of flawless, then they will not accept it and request ordering a new one. So.. I've come to peace with that. For now, this is what's getting ordered from the local audi dealer: bumper, inner/outer rear right quarter panel, and tail lights.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Insurance co will want to nickle and dime, of course, especially GEICO. They did that with me long time ago with my Lexus, I forced them to use a new rear bumper after I was mildly rear ended.
If it was my car, I would get it fixed properly with OEM parts at a certified shop out of pocket, and then send them the bill. They have no leg to stand.

Originally Posted by heartbeat91
update: got a call from geico claims adjuster today. initial estimate is $12k, and will most definitely rise after they take the car apart to see what electrical component (sensors and stuff) damage there is. The guy also said he'd guess 30 days for the repair. oof, nissan versa for 30 days. just shoot me...

one thing that felt bad was, geico person said that they had a trunk piece from another s3 (from the junkyard or something probably) that they would use to replace mine from the crash. I fought hard to just get a new one, but apparently this is policy and I can't really do anything. However, the body shop guy at Bellevue Collision center told me that if it looks anything short of flawless, then they will not accept it and request ordering a new one. So.. I've come to peace with that. For now, this is what's getting ordered from the local audi dealer: bumper, inner/outer rear right quarter panel, and tail lights.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zebekias
Insurance co will want to nickle and dime, of course, especially GEICO. They did that with me long time ago with my Lexus, I forced them to use a new rear bumper after I was mildly rear ended.
If it was my car, I would get it fixed properly with OEM parts at a certified shop out of pocket, and then send them the bill. They have no leg to stand.
I asked my lawyer this, and they said if I do that I might not get reimbursed, because their policy is essentially their definition of 'making me whole again'. A 'used' trunk that is in pristine condition meets that policy goal for them, and that's why they can do this. I personally.. have come to peace with this, as long as the body shop (who is an extremely nice person and said he WILL not tolerate any used trunks that show any signs of imperfection. So if it comes to that, then all he has to do is reject the trunk and request that I get a new one. I'm cool with it. I just want my baby back.. it's going to be a long 30 days.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heartbeat91
I asked my lawyer this, and they said if I do that I might not get reimbursed, because their policy is essentially their definition of 'making me whole again'. A 'used' trunk that is in pristine condition meets that policy goal for them, and that's why they can do this. I personally.. have come to peace with this, as long as the body shop (who is an extremely nice person and said he WILL not tolerate any used trunks that show any signs of imperfection. So if it comes to that, then all he has to do is reject the trunk and request that I get a new one. I'm cool with it. I just want my baby back.. it's going to be a long 30 days.
I would not listen to this lawyer, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

This matter is between you and the lady that hit you, however, her insurance co has assumed liability for damages she causes while driving. You are under no obligation to agree to any of her insurance co "policies".
They count on most people yielding to their tactics. I have gotten paid off multiple times by insurance companies without having to sue them, granted all were clear cut cases: rear ended, hit while parked, wheels damaged while mounting new ties. In all cases I paid out of pocket, faxed them the invoices, then got paid.

I didn't read the whole thread regarding how you will get paid over the $10k. Her assets are on the line for liability in excess of her policy's coverage. It's not the wild west, one way or another you will get the $ you spend on repairs if you go to court, both her and her insurance co know this, so it's highly likely they will promptly pay invoices you submit to them.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting that they want to use "used" parts for the repair. In our state, if the car has less than 10,000 miles on it the law says the replacement parts must be new. From the look of the car, you will need a complete rear quarter panel. This starts near the roofline and will require a lot of cutting and welding. Cutting this from a salvage car and making it fit properly is a lot more work to get right than getting the new panel from Audi. Fight the insurance company to get the repair done properly.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
Interesting that they want to use "used" parts for the repair. In our state, if the car has less than 10,000 miles on it the law says the replacement parts must be new. From the look of the car, you will need a complete rear quarter panel. This starts near the roofline and will require a lot of cutting and welding. Cutting this from a salvage car and making it fit properly is a lot more work to get right than getting the new panel from Audi. Fight the insurance company to get the repair done properly.
Just the trunk. everything else, including the RQP you are concerned about, will be new from the nearby audi dealer. The trunk shouldn't need any welding.

also, my car has near 40k miles on it, so that law won't work, even if i lived in your state. I've tried requesting for a new one, but it seems there is no way, and I've already accepted it. Again, if it's anything short of flawless, the bodyshop will reject it.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just to give you an idea on how fast the cost will add up. The picture below is of my wife's A4. It was backed into while parked. The only apparent damage was to the front fender next to the headlight assembly. This repair ended up costing just over $9200!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19hole
Just to give you an idea on how fast the cost will add up. The picture below is of my wife's A4. It was backed into while parked. The only apparent damage was to the front fender next to the headlight assembly. This repair ended up costing just over $9200!
OUCH!! I'm assuming it took out a bunch of the sensors up front along with front fender and side panels?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Russ, It ended up needing a new fender and front bumper cover. There was a small scratch on the headlight lens that they would not fix, so that got replaced also. When they painted the new fender and bumper cover they ended up painting the hood and right fender to make sure the blending was done properly. No sensors replaced, but a lot of small brackets behind the fender panel. When I got it back and opened the hood, you couldn't tell that any of the bolts holding the fender on had even had a wrench on them. The service guys at the dealership couldn't believe that there was any body work done to the car.

Quick Reply: so.. got rear ended. need advice!