Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Start up on dynamic mode issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start up on dynamic mode issue

I have set engine and transmission mode on individual to dynamic. If I turn off the engine while in this setting, when I start it back up, it stays in dynamic but engine sound is not as it should be. If I set it to dynamic, engine sound becomes normal for dynamic mode again.
I have turned off the engine while in dynamic mode and then started back up. Again same issue Engine didn't sound as dynamic mode. Moving to individual and engine started to sound as it should

Is that normal?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
captain92 (05-20-2020)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, that's normal because the car defaults to "D" and not "S" no matter what your engine/transmission setting is. Pulling back on the shifter to switch to "S" or moving the drive select to another mode with engine/transmission in Dynamic will get you back where you want to be. There's no way to change the default away from "D".
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have read about this subject previously as well. Was the same for my former S3. I set everything in the "individual" option to dynamic except engine/transmission. Then bump the gearshift from D to S after driving the car a short distance. Was doing it automatically after some time. That put me into full dynamic mode relatively quickly.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Correct, this is by design. The entire powertrain (engine, transmission and exhaust) does not retain the Dynamic setting between engine restarts. It goes back to Comfort/Auto. This is primarily to meet fuel and noise regulations. The EPA and similar regulations bodies require that cars start up in the mode that yields the tested fuel economy and keeping the exhaust flaps closed ensures that the car meets noise regulations during startup and the slightly freer flowing exhaust with the valves open may have a minute impact on fuel economy. The US doesn't really have many noise regulations, but Europe considers noise a pollutant, so there are more and more regulations. The latest EU regulations no longer allow the exhaust flaps to open below 80 kmh for example to ensure cars are quieter in residential areas.

The quickest way to open the exhaust again after a restart is to pull twice on the shifter to put the transmission in S, which puts the powertrain back in Dynamic mode. You can then pull again to put it back in D and the exhaust valves will stay open if they are set to Dynamic in your current Drive Select mode, but they don't ever start out open even if you are in Dynamic or Individual with exhaust sound in Dynamic.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-05-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
Yes, that's normal because the car defaults to "D" and not "S" no matter what your engine/transmission setting is. Pulling back on the shifter to switch to "S" or moving the drive select to another mode with engine/transmission in Dynamic will get you back where you want to be. There's no way to change the default away from "D".
Just read about the pulling back of the shifter. Will use that. Fine by me

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I have read about this subject previously as well. Was the same for my former S3. I set everything in the "individual" option to dynamic except engine/transmission. Then bump the gearshift from D to S after driving the car a short distance. Was doing it automatically after some time. That put me into full dynamic mode relatively quickly.
Everything to dynamic except engine and transmission? That's a first :-). Can you please tell why? It is interesting.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct, this is by design. The entire powertrain (engine, transmission and exhaust) does not retain the Dynamic setting between engine restarts. It goes back to Comfort/Auto. This is primarily to meet fuel and noise regulations. The EPA and similar regulations bodies require that cars start up in the mode that yields the tested fuel economy and keeping the exhaust flaps closed ensures that the car meets noise regulations during startup and the slightly freer flowing exhaust with the valves open may have a minute impact on fuel economy. The US doesn't really have many noise regulations, but Europe considers noise a pollutant, so there are more and more regulations. The latest EU regulations no longer allow the exhaust flaps to open below 80 kmh for example to ensure cars are quieter in residential areas.

The quickest way to open the exhaust again after a restart is to pull twice on the shifter to put the transmission in S, which puts the powertrain back in Dynamic mode. You can then pull again to put it back in D and the exhaust valves will stay open if they are set to Dynamic in your current Drive Select mode, but they don't ever start out open even if you are in Dynamic or Individual with exhaust sound in Dynamic.
These regulations are annoying. Love the base of the sound but with the pops and bangs of the former version it was PERFECT!
Not sure I understand, should I pull the shifter once or twice?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish exhaust value are open at all times..
Old 07-05-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
These regulations are annoying. Love the base of the sound but with the pops and bangs of the former version it was PERFECT!
Not sure I understand, should I pull the shifter once or twice?

Thanks
It depends on what you want.
  1. Start the car
  2. Put transmission in Drive, it will be in D
  3. Pull down on the shift lever, transmission will go to S and valves will open
  4. Stop if you want to say in S, or pull again if you want to drive in D, but leave the valves open
Another point to note, there's a difference between manual mode coming from D and manual mode coming from S if you like to use the manual mode. If you come from S, then you have a more aggressive throttle map and shift speeds while in manual mode.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
It depends on what you want.
  1. Start the car
  2. Put transmission in Drive, it will be in D
  3. Pull down on the shift lever, transmission will go to S and valves will open
  4. Stop if you want to say in S, or pull again if you want to drive in D, but leave the valves open
Another point to note, there's a difference between manual mode coming from D and manual mode coming from S if you like to use the manual mode. If you come from S, then you have a more aggressive throttle map and shift speeds while in manual mode.
Thanks for that!

Quick Reply: Start up on dynamic mode issue