Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-09-2016, 11:32 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

tire downsize / all season replacements / axis wheels from tirerack

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire downsize / all season replacements / axis wheels from tirerack

currently have summer tires and oem stock 19" wheels on a3 prestige cabriolet. live in northwest w/ mild winters, some occasional light snow and usually a few weeks of sub freezing temps. so i'm thinking summer tires aren't enough, but don't really have need for full on winter tires so thinking downsized 18" conti DWS06 all seasons for year round use.

also not a particularly aggressive driver so don't think i benefit a ton from the 19" wheels and super low profile tires, though they are attractive wheels. so thinking of 18"x8" matte grey Axis Sport XQ wheels from tirerack as year round replacements.

QUESTIONS ON TIRE SIZE:my oem tires are 235/35/19, so we know those fit. the stock/recommended 18" tire is 225/40/18 which results in a 1.5% reduction in diameter and corresponding mis calibration of speedometer.
--why would i not want 235/40/18? they'd be the same width as oem 19's and almost exact same overall diameter as oem 19's thus virtually no speedometer variance. also slght extra width MIGHT help slightly avoid curb rash.
--can tire size be changed in MMI to correct speedometer variance with tire size changes?
--does the prestige, sport package, s-line have suspension and or brake changes to wherein these choices would cause any problems?

as far as i understand there is no TPMS hardware that i need to transfer to new wheels. my understanding is it calculated tire pressure variances some other way that doesnt include the typical TPMS stuff.
--is this correct?

QUESTIONS ON WHEELS: 18"x8" matte grey Axis Sport XQ wheels from tirerack -- http://goo.gl/X9It4Y XQ ? Axis Wheels i like that they are 18's and hopefully get a slightly less aggressive/more comfortable ride. like their look. i like that they are 1/3 the cost of oems as far as damage risk replacement goes. might even buy an extra as insurance.
--or are they crappy wheels that will cost me more in the long run?
--thoughts on Axis brand and model???
--are centercaps replaceable on aftermarket wheels? assuming so. where is the best place to get audi centercaps? are they a universal size?
--if i get the tire wheel combo from tirerack and have them mount and balance them, what should i expect to pay a shop to install them. shouldn't take more than a few min since they are already mounted.

and finally, should i keep and store the 19's for possible change of mind and/or resale? or sell them? any guess as to what i'd sell them for?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here are pics

current wheels and Axis Spot HQ pic
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My 2 cents. You already have 19" wheels with summer tires. Use them April thru October. Buy new 18" wheels and winter tires for November through March.

If you have an issue of switching and storing the off-season wheels and tires, then one set and all-seasons are your solution. But for best performance, you should use summer and winters tires.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with DennisMitchell and currently do exactly that with my S3 here in Ohio. I love my 19 inchers with summer Contis but not when the temp dips below about 40 F. I know soon I will be switching to my 18 wheels with Dunlop performance winter tires soon. I put my summer wheels/tires in the basement after a good washing. Don't want to leave the grime on them. I did this same thing with my last car. Saves the nice wheels from getting mucked up due to ice and snow and the summer tires then last much longer. And I have the peace of mind driving in the winter months with a proper snow tire, albeit a performance oriented version.