Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Tire and Wheel Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire and Wheel Repair

Just got home yesterday from a nice Saturday afternoon ride in the country. When I went to get gas I saw this (see picture). Asked my wife if she had hit a curb, " Yes, but not very hard". Car only has 2600 miles. I know I will need a new tire, but how about the wheel? I cannot go years looking at this. Can it be fixed, or will I just have to get a new one? Also, if it can be fixed should I get that done before I get the new tire, or should I be able to do both at the same place? Would the dealer be a good place to start, or would that be the most expensive place I could find? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ouch......hopefully someone is selling an OEM wheel on here because they bought after markets.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch, that's a real bad curb'n .

FYI, ECSTuning sales OEM wheels as well as aftermarket
Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, that's grounds for divorce.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that is an easy fix! find someone in your area that fixes wheels! all it is just paint and a little sanding will fix it
Old 08-09-2015, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, definitely need a new tire, looks like she really dug hard into the sidewalls, only a matter of time before they fail... she DEFINITELY felt that, it wasn't just a "little bump". And considering how much of the wheel is scratched... she wasn't driving at a crawl either... looks like it completely at least half a rotation against the curb, the metal scraping would have been quite loud.

You won't need a new tire, like the other poster said, just getting it sanded and repainted should make it look good as new. Although I'm not sure of the cost comparison of that versus just trying to buy a single wheel from someone who has replaced their stock wheels with aftermarkets.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi A3 Wheels Rims Wheel Rim Stock OEM Replacement

Also has info on wheels.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all of the help and the links.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default An once of prevention...

Check this out: RimPro-Tec | Gallery

Haven't used, but something to consider.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Antarius
... she DEFINITELY felt that, it wasn't just a "little bump". And considering how much of the wheel is scratched... she wasn't driving at a crawl either... looks like it completely at least half a rotation against the curb, the metal scraping would have been quite loud.
I don’t fully agree. Back in the early 2000’s after having driven cars and suv's with high sidewall/high aspect tires for years, I got my first low profile/low sidewall tire car (a 2002 Altima). I was living in an area where I seldom parked at the curb and the first time I did virtually the same thing happened. I heard no sound, but when I got out I saw the damage. Needless to say I instantly modified my driving and haven’t had an issue since now that I know it is possible that they sell wheels that protrude further than the tire. With the old, higher profile tires, the rubber was a sort of a barrier or guard that protected the wheel, so I had no problem intentionally getting right up against the curb so passing cars wouldn't clip my passenger side mirror as had happened a few times.
The damage in the OP's photos looks very low speed to me. At higher speed you would not see the individual scrapes, just a ground down appearance IMO.

Quick Reply: Tire and Wheel Repair