Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

USB detection problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB detection problem

Yesterday was the second time that I entered the car, started it and the media display showed a message saying "no device detected/connected" although there's a usb stick that is pluged into one of the sockets that I hear music from every day.
Closing and starting the infotainment center did not help. I have also tried to shut down the engine and restart it with no success.
Today, when I started the car, music came from the usb stick normally.
It happened, also, few months back. Same scenario. Started working after half an hour of vehicle shutdown.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah - I have a 2017 s3, with the same thing. Randomly my center console USB will not recognize. I took it in to the dealer last week, but obviously they couldn't reproduce it, and couldn't fix the problem.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

This is a common issue.....seems to be the software boots up, but sometimes doesn't recognize when a device was plugged in. This is on my 2016 TT, which is sharing the MQB wiring architecture. Usually a restart of the car works, or just be patient and wait a few minutes. On occasion it has failed to recognize on an entire drive, then works fine next trip. I don't think there is really anything for your dealer to "fix", it's just a software bug that likely will never be 100% corrected. If you are charging your phone, it's an issue. But for playback I just you Bluetooth for the occasional time I can't get a connection. Sometimes a MMI restart can affect the connection issue as well. Thankfully it's not a common issue, but mildly annoying when it occurs. I try to not let small things like this get to me. Hope you can do the same.