Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
I drove an SQ5 and it felt slow and sloppy in comparison. The SQ5 isn't in the same performance league as the M40i. The SQ5 is significantly slower. I'm not an SUV man. After taking a test drive of the SQ5 I came to the conclusion that SUVs aren't for me. The ride, drive, and feel were awful. I test drove a BMW X3 30i, and just by that test drive I ordered the M40i. The X3 felt so much more composed than the SQ5. And the fake exhaust tips on the SQ5 are awful. As for the Mecan? You'd have to spend about $20k more than the X40i to get a Macan that can accelerate as good as the M40i. Plus the Mecan was too small, doesn't know what it want's to be... is it a car? an SUV? The Mecan just seemed a little too small and dainty looking IMO. Plus the interior was old-school. The Mecan that cost the same price as the X3 M40i is significantly slower. and its perceveid better handling isn't enough to make up the performance deficit IMO.
Fair enough. I'm not into SUV/CUVs at all myself. I just heard great things about the SQ5 and the Macan. I don't feel inclined to drive either one, nor the X3. I had Q5 loaners in the past. I can see the appeal to be higher up to see better over all the other monstrosities on the roads, but raising the center of gravity in a car just isn't my thing. Enjoy your X3, though.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok another point I am adding to the OP.

You see, I am 34, but I still have this childish mentality of wanting to have the best, it's mine!! if you know what I mean.

So in March of 2017, I bought my first M4 Convertible 2017 model, it was the standard not the competition pack one. I loved the car, loved the paint (Yas Marina Blue), got lots of compliments from people about the color........

After about a month, BMW releases the LCI Refreshed model with the BMW Icon headlights which look way better IMHO. brighter ambient lighting, M logos embossed in the seat in black, and a lot of other small updates. My car immediately lost the shine of being the best latest baddest M car. When I buy a new car, I expect to drive it at least 2 - 3 years before a new model is out which would make my current model outdated.

So I quickly sold my car for a 12K loss back to the dealership before it loses more once people know about the LCI refresh and ordered the LCI 2018 model but this time with the Competition Pack and M Performance Exhaust.

After the car arrived 4 months later, the first thing I realized is that same Yas Marina Blue Color isn't as blue and popping as my previous one. At first I thought this is all just in my head and I kept quiet. After another month, BMW makes another update to the LCI models now they have touch screen which is much easier to use especially with Apple Car Play!! so I complained that this is not fair, I paid so much money for my car and just next month BMW releases a new update to the infotainment system. I tried a lot but BMW didn't do anything about it, I was expecting them to at least update my screen to the touch screen version.

Before selling it, I went to the dealership and I saw my old 2017 car that I sold there again, the person who bought it from them back then sold it back to them again, and as I expected, now that I've seen them both side by side, my old car had a much richer color that really blows your mind away, my 2018 M4 had like a pale blue color, you know like you have a blue car but due to fog or haze it kind loses its color saturation and looks kinda washed out? that's exactly how mine was.

What I am trying to say here is, BMW has no consistency in terms of quality or the features you get, it just keeps getting updates any month and it's about you and your luck as to what features you can get.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Fair enough. I'm not into SUV/CUVs at all myself. I just heard great things about the SQ5 and the Macan. I don't feel inclined to drive either one, nor the X3. I had Q5 loaners in the past. I can see the appeal to be higher up to see better over all the other monstrosities on the roads, but raising the center of gravity in a car just isn't my thing. Enjoy your X3, though.

Here's a cut and paste of a reply that I had to someone who had the same view in regards to SUV's. Not only did I pick the X3 M40i over the SQ5, I also picked the X3 over the Audi S5 Sportback. The S5 Sportback also didn't put a smile on my face like the my X3's does. Also look at the vids on the bottom, You have an old outdated opinion in regards to the vehicle type . The most exiting vehicle I could find (within my price range) this year was a freaking SUV.

"I used to subscribe to lower ride height, Less weight, smaller vehicle = better handling just like everyone else. But then I've come to realize that once you get past a certain handling level, street comparisons pretty much become moot. The X3 M40i is beyond that handling level.

I used to have a 2015 Audi S3 a Lancer EVO X MR (among other vehicles) and my X3 puts a bigger smile on my face than both of them, especially the Audi S3. I've taken turns at very high speeds that didn't even come close to the vehicles potential. I asked myself? How fast do I really need to go? The cornering speed was far faster than any speed that I'm comfortable with doing on the street and I wasn't anywhere near the vehicles potential. I've taken switchbacks trying to expose the high-ride height and high center of gravity and those too ended up being pointless because again, it would take some racetrack style driving for me to find out what the limits are.

I've watched tons of M40i reviews and some of the "small car" guys talk about that you can feel the weight. I love to see how that weight actually effects street performance given our speed limited roads. I'm willing to bet that the extra weight that they claim to feel, will never be able to be exposed on the streets in any way shape or form. We simply don't drive on the streets like we do a race track. And to be honest, I doubt most people (especially the small car guys) will even be able to exploit the smaller cars better handling to where it would be noticeable on the street. And if they are able to do so, then they are driving at "arrest me" speeds.

I drove a 540i last year at a BMW autocross event and it handled nice, but the overall presentation seemed more like a Lexus than a BMW. It didn't offer any excitement. Surprising considering it has the same engine as my current car.

Compared to my Audi S3, my X3 is better in every way. But I've yet to have driven both cars near (or at) the limits to determine which is better at the handling limits and that is the point. As a reference my X3 M40i is faster than my S3, gets better fuel mileage than my S3, is more stable at "arrest me" over 100mph speeds (anything over say 120, the Audi felt like a death trap if the road wasn't perfectly straight, or so I heard. The X3 also has a tighter turning circle than the S3, and it also significantly cheaper to insure go figure? The advantages of the S3 didn't outweigh the disadvantages, and the main advantage of better handling I could never exploit on the streets

That doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to separate a car like a Camry from better handling cars on the street. The body roll, diving under braking, and ABS kicking in during seemingly normal braking is enough to let you know that you aren't driving an exceptional handler.

My advice is to not get caught up in this smaller car is better crap. You end up limiting yourself and your choices in the process."

Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the exact car I ordered guys:

Looks kinda orange in color in the showroom light in person but red when you're in the sun or in low light

Old 05-14-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix
This is the exact car I ordered guys:

Looks kinda orange in color in the showroom light in person but red when you're in the sun or in low light

BEAUTIFUL, FLAWLESS. Cannot wait for some exhaust note and videos
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uniqueMR
BEAUTIFUL, FLAWLESS. Cannot wait for some exhaust note and videos
Thanks bro, these are the specs:

Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sick! that is a car that will allow you to become a much more skilled driver if you so wish. excellent excellent choice and many smiles per gallon!
Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Here's a cut and paste of a reply that I had to someone who had the same view in regards to SUV's. Not only did I pick the X3 M40i over the SQ5, I also picked the X3 over the Audi S5 Sportback. The S5 Sportback also didn't put a smile on my face like the my X3's does. Also look at the vids on the bottom, You have an old outdated opinion in regards to the vehicle type . The most exiting vehicle I could find (within my price range) this year was a freaking SUV.
Not outdated at all and you are absolutely correct about what you wrote in your reply. I don't disagree with it at all. But here's the difference. I do drive at the limit regularly. I have lots of deserted canyon roads at my disposal free of law enforcement where I get to properly enjoy these cars and then there are the tracks. I drive these roads in many different cars and there is a world of difference between when I drive it in the R8 vs even the TT-RS. Track width and low to the ground weight makes all the difference. I'm also from Europe, so I drive the German Autobahn regularly. I did European Delivery with my RS5 for example. If you don't have the same opportunity to drive these cars like I do, then you are absolutely right. Most of these cars are overkill for regular driving or even the occasional spirited driving for most people. It sounds like you've found the vehicle that suits YOUR situation and driving style best. I feel a lot of people are not honest to themselves about what fits their situation best. I don't understand folks who buy high performance cars and then spend most of of their time in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way to/from work. I've given up commuting a long time ago and most of my driving these days is for pleasure. Of course I've got to run my daily errands and that's why my primary car is still the RS5. Best all around package I've ever driven so far.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-14-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats op. I too have had many top end cars within their class. Integra Type R. Evo MR, M3. Had some others in there like 328's 335's, but i recently went over to Audi when the RS3 launched here in the US. I too felt like BMW has been all about volume and their cars are "throw away." I think the technology in Audi is far superior to BMW and the fit and finish feels a step above what BMW offers. I basically agree with your stance and your experiences.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not outdated at all and you are absolutely correct about what you wrote in your reply. I don't disagree with it at all. But here's the difference. I do drive at the limit regularly. I have lots of deserted canyon roads at my disposal free of law enforcement where I get to properly enjoy these cars and then there are the tracks. I drive these roads in many different cars and there is a world of difference between when I drive it in the R8 vs even the TT-RS. Track width and low to the ground weight makes all the difference. If you don't have the same opportunity to drive these cars like I do, then you are absolutely right. Most of these cars are overkill for regular driving or even the occasional spirited driving for most people. It sounds like you've found the vehicle that suits YOUR situation and driving style best. I feel a lot of people are not honest to themselves about what fits their situation best. I don't understand folks who buy high performance car and then spend of of their time in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way to/from work. I've given up commuting a long time ago and most of my driving these days is for pleasure. Of course I've got to run my daily errands and that's why I my primary car is still the RS5. Best all around package I've ever driven so far.
agreed. when we purchase our vehicles based on our driving environments the payoff is there. I live in a mountain / lake community where my daily commute consists of 15 miles of canyon roads. The vehicle for me is the TT.

Quick Reply: Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3