Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 > Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII
Reload this Page >

Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3

Notices
Audi A3 / S3 /RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3

Reply

 
 
 
Old 05-14-2018, 03:23 AM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Snappy Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 41
Default Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3

So I had a 2018 BMW M4 Competition Convertible. My dream car since I was a young teen was to have an M car after I sat in one for a little ride (it was an E36 M3) and was stunned by the power.

Fast forward to last year, I was able to afford the car of my dreams.

My expectations were very high for BMW in terms of quality and whatnot.

- The default modes at startup are beyond stupid, the car defaults to Sport Steering (which is very heavy for parking and day to day maneuvering) but comfort suspension and comfort engine throttle so every time you get in you have to click the steering wheel button twice to set it in comfort which is what you'd want your daily driver to be in OR you can program one of the two M buttons to be in Comfort for everything but this makes you lose out on one of the M buttons which you can set it for other/better driving modes

- I had the full leather and all the bells and whistles, but the quality is very cheap. Like if I accidently just touch the steering wheel with my fingernail which is not very long anyway I'd get a a big scratch on the steering wheel that I have to treat and it would never be in a 100% pristine condition anymore.

On the driver's seat, there is like a little matte aluminum plastic piece near the headrest, well, after 7 months of ownership, the colors already started fading away as if this was some 5 or 7 year old car

- BMW's quality control is non existent, I got the car delivered and as soon as I get in for my first drive, I notice the car swerves to the right ikf you let go of the steering wheel for a brief second. I know this issue was widespread on Bimmerpost and BMW released a steering rack software update to fix this so I took the car back to the dealer and told them not to bother with the alignment just update the software, they didn't listen to me and performed an alignment only which off-course, didn't fix the issue only then did they do the software update which fixed the issue. But my point is, I had to spend a lot of time and hassle with multiple visits to the dealership on a brand new 2018 car to get this fixed. As if BMW just mass produces these cars with no quality checks.

- Next, the paint. It first started after 3 months of ownership where the driver's door's handle's paint started chipping off. I took it to a reputed garage and they had to remove the entire handle and re-spray it as they told me the paint chipped off.,

Next, I noticed on the corner of the bonnot, there is like a black line, so I thought this is dirt or just needs polishing, took it to the garage again and they told me the paint chipped off as well so they had to respray it.

You see, I am 34, but I still have this childish mentality of wanting to have the best, it's mine!! if you know what I mean.

So in March of 2017, I bought my first M4 Convertible 2017 model, it was the standard not the competition pack one. I loved the car, loved the paint (Yas Marina Blue), got lots of compliments from people about the color........

After about a month, BMW releases the LCI Refreshed model with the BMW Icon headlights which look way better IMHO. brighter ambient lighting, M logos embossed in the seat in black, and a lot of other small updates. My car immediately lost the shine of being the best latest baddest M car. When I buy a new car, I expect to drive it at least 2 - 3 years before a new model is out which would make my current model outdated.

So I quickly sold my car for a 12K loss back to the dealership before it loses more once people know about the LCI refresh and ordered the LCI 2018 model but this time with the Competition Pack and M Performance Exhaust.

After the car arrived 4 months later, the first thing I realized is that same Yas Marina Blue Color isn't as blue and popping as my previous one. At first I thought this is all just in my head and I kept quiet. After another month, BMW makes another update to the LCI models now they have touch screen which is much easier to use especially with Apple Car Play!! so I complained that this is not fair, I paid so much money for my car and just next month BMW releases a new update to the infotainment system. I tried a lot but BMW didn't do anything about it, I was expecting them to at least update my screen to the touch screen version.

Before selling it, I went to the dealership and I saw my old 2017 car that I sold there again, the person who bought it from them back then sold it back to them again, and as I expected, now that I've seen them both side by side, my old car had a much richer color that really blows your mind away, my 2018 M4 had like a pale blue color, you know like you have a blue car but due to fog or haze it kind loses its color saturation and looks kinda washed out? that's exactly how mine was.

What I am trying to say here is, BMW has no consistency in terms of quality or the features you get, it just keeps getting updates any month and it's about you and your luck as to what features you can get.

Finally, after giving my car a wash, it was bright and shiny outside so as I was drying it, I noticed that on the front left splitter, the paint in one area was bulging out more than others as if it wasn't sprayed evenly.

- The next point is that all the BMWs we've owned me and my wife look exactly the same inside, she had a 428i Convertible and I had an M4 Convertible, she then swapped her car to an X5 and I got another convertible but the 2018 LCI model, they all have the M Package (it's standard here in Dubai) and so everything inside is the same, the steering wheel, infotainment, interior, even the M badges, it just got kind of boring.

- In terms of power, yes it's super powerful but I can never make use of the power on the roads. You see, I don't track my car, all I want is a zippy and fast and good looking car to drive around when I need to go on about my business but with all that power, the M4 even being on Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires has serious issues putting the power down. If you keep DSC on or even the M Dynamic Mode which is supposed to allow *some drifting* it kills the power. Turn off traction completely and the car would just skid and make burnouts, yes it's fun, but you just can't use all those 450 HP that it has.

We needed some cash in my family so I ended up selling it back to the dealership at a great loss and after test driving many cars and doing research, I ended up ordering a 2018 Audi RS3 Saloon. I test drove it and love how it can put the power down with the Quattro system. I love its interior quality and virtual cockpit and the paint seems of better quality (at least visually) than BMW's and that Catalunya red that I saw at the dealership is just car pr0n, I fell in love instantly)

another thing is that here in Dubai Audi's are super rare so they hold their value way better than BMW who's used car market is literally filled with thousands of cars


So glad to be joining the Audi family, this is going to be my first Audi and I can't wait till I get it hopefully within a week.

If you're interested, this is the previous M4 that I had (my friend is reviewing, I don't appear on camera in those videos):



Last edited by Snappy Phoenix; 05-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Snappy Phoenix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
russbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Smoky Mtn Area of Tennessee
Posts: 537
Default

Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
So I had a 2018 BMW M4 Competition Convertible. My dream car since I was a young teen was to have an M car after I sat in one for a little ride (it was an E36 M3) and was stunned by the power.

Fast forward to last year, I was able to afford the car of my dreams.

My expectations were very high for BMW in terms of quality and whatnot.

- The default modes at startup are beyond stupid, the car defaults to Sport Steering (which is very heavy for parking and day to day maneuvering) but comfort suspension and comfort engine throttle so every time you get in you have to click the steering wheel button twice to set it in comfort which is what you'd want your daily driver to be in OR you can program one of the two M buttons to be in Comfort for everything but this makes you lose out on one of the M buttons which you can set it for other/better driving modes

- I had the full leather and all the bells and whistles, but the quality is very cheap. Like if I accidently just touch the steering wheel with my fingernail which is not very long anyway I'd get a a big scratch on the steering wheel that I have to treat and it would never be in a 100% pristine condition anymore.

On the driver's seat, there is like a little matte aluminum plastic piece near the headrest, well, after 7 months of ownership, the colors already started fading away as if this was some 5 or 7 year old car

- BMW's quality control is non existent, I got the car delivered and as soon as I get in for my first drive, I notice the car swerves to the right ikf you let go of the steering wheel for a brief second. I know this issue was widespread on Bimmerpost and BMW released a steering rack software update to fix this so I took the car back to the dealer and told them not to bother with the alignment just update the software, they didn't listen to me and performed an alignment only which off-course, didn't fix the issue only then did they do the software update which fixed the issue. But my point is, I had to spend a lot of time and hassle with multiple visits to the dealership on a brand new 2018 car to get this fixed. As if BMW just mass produces these cars with no quality checks.

- Next, the paint. It first started after 3 months of ownership where the driver's door's handle's paint started chipping off. I took it to a reputed garage and they had to remove the entire handle and re-spray it as they told me the paint chipped off.,

Next, I noticed on the corner of the bonnot, there is like a black line, so I thought this is dirt or just needs polishing, took it to the garage again and they told me the paint chipped off as well so they had to respray it.

Finally, after giving my car a wash, it was bright and shiny outside so as I was drying it, I noticed that on the front left splitter, the paint in one area was bulging out more than others as if it wasn't sprayed evenly.

- The next point is that all the BMWs we've owned me and my wife look exactly the same inside, she had a 428i Convertible and I had an M4 Convertible, she then swapped her car to an X5 and I got another convertible but the 2018 LCI model, they all have the M Package (it's standard here in Dubai) and so everything inside is the same, the steering wheel, infotainment, interior, even the M badges, it just got kind of boring.

- In terms of power, yes it's super powerful but I can never make use of the power on the roads. You see, I don't track my car, all I want is a zippy and fast and good looking car to drive around when I need to go on about my business but with all that power, the M4 even being on Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires has serious issues putting the power down. If you keep DSC on or even the M Dynamic Mode which is supposed to allow *some drifting* it kills the power. Turn off traction completely and the car would just skid and make burnouts, yes it's fun, but you just can't use all those 450 HP that it has.

We needed some cash in my family so I ended up selling it back to the dealership at a great loss and after test driving many cars and doing research, I ended up ordering a 2018 Audi RS3 Saloon. I test drove it and love how it can put the power down with the Quattro system. I love its interior quality and virtual cockpit and the paint seems of better quality (at least visually) than BMW's and that Catalunya red that I saw at the dealership is just car pr0n, I fell in love instantly)

another thing is that here in Dubai Audi's are super rare so they hold their value way better than BMW who's used car market is literally filled with thousands of cars


So glad to be joining the Audi family, this is going to be my first Audi and I can't wait till I get it hopefully within a week......
Thanks for the detailed explanation; it was very informative and I'm looking forward to once you receive your RS3 what your impressions are of it. One thing I know that will impress you once you break your RS3 in is when you use launch control. There is no squealing of the tires just 100% traction instantly which results in a catapult like launch from 0-60 mph / 0-100 kpm. My wife was stunned by how fast the car felt as it very deceptive but it is an absolute joy to own and drive. Hopefully there will be no issues and you will get your car soon. Best of luck and welcome to the group.

I had no idea that Audi's were much rarer in Dubai so thanks for sharing that fun fact.
russbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 AM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
HighwayHum72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: So Cal Mountains
Posts: 20
Default

Hope you enjoy the new Audi. Let us know your first impressions.
HighwayHum72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:49 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,826
Default

If you think that the RS3 is going to be any better from an interior quality standpoint then I think you will be disappointed. The RS3 is still based on Audi's cheaper less expensive models the A3, You will always see A3 in the RS3 no matter how much you option it out. I just sold my S3 for a BMW and my experiences are the polar opposite compared to yours. I hated the S3, after a few weeks of ownership I grew seriously bored with the car. Enjoy your RS3. For some reason I don't think you will see the RS3 as being that much different than the M4 in the long run.

Here's a vid of someone who sold his RS3 after one week of ownership. FWIW I was in the market for an RS3 priced vehicle. After owning an S3 for 3 years I didn't even consider the RS3. Too small of a vehicle and I'm tired of Audi.
Spoonie G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 AM
  #5  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
uniqueMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 41
Default

Nice explanation. And surprised to see had quality/issues with M. I been owning BMW and M for a while and so far flawless. Actually, M quality is above regular BMWs.
Anyways, Congrats on RS3. Cannot wait for some pics and videos
Enjoy !!!
uniqueMR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,122
Default

BMW is no longer what it is cracked up to be. They've lost their ways a long time ago. BMW is all about volume these days. They make leasing attractive so most BMWs are getting leased and customers get into a new one every 3 years. A while back I saw the statistics for the 3/4 series. Something like 75% lease, whereas only about 40% of Audi's are leased. I'm hearing similar bad quality stories from Mercedes owners and I'm hoping Audi/VW are not going down the same road. I have a German mechanic friend who owns his own shop. He mostly works on BMWs and Mercedes and he has horror story after horror story on what's going on with modern BMWs and Mercedes. We live in a throwaway society and BMW caters to it. Gone is the German high-quality engineering.

The BMW M vehicles still drive well, though, mostly, but after having owned performance Audis for the last 13 years I have no desire to go back to RWD. Everybody brags about the performance on paper, but nobody admits that most owners can't realize the performance, because the car can't put the power down. I'd rather have less power, but be able to put it down. Interestingly, even BMW M and AMG have finally come to this conclusion and gave the new M5 and E63 a trick rear-biased AWD system. I'm not a big fan of the Audi/VW MQB platform with the forward-biased Haldex system, but S/RS4 and up they are rear-biased just the right amount, especially with the rear sport differential, to power-oversteer and power-slide it once in a while for some fun, but they are always ready to hunker down and put all the horses on the pavement.

Also the quality and refinement is very different in the A4 and up. I've driven the TTRS and I'm going to drive the RS3. They are fun and tossable, but you can feel that they are based on an A3. I'm currently in an A5 Sportback loaner, because my RS5 is in the shop. They first gave me an A3 and once I found out my car is gonna be in the shop for a while I asked for a different loaner. The difference between an A3 and A5 is very noticeable. Same engine, but they drive very very differently. The A5 is refined, the drivetrain feels more solid and even the sound is better. I'm always curious about the base cars, because that's what the RS are ultimately built on. The RS3 and TTRS have the glorious 5-cylinder engine that somewhat makes up for it, but at the end of the day it's still based on the A3.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.
superswiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:20 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,826
Default

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
BMW is no longer what it is cracked up to be. They've lost their ways a long time ago. BMW is all about volume these days. They make leasing attractive so most BMWs are getting leased and customers get into a new one every 3 years. A while back I saw the statistics for the 3/4 series. Something like 75% lease, whereas only about 40% of Audi's are leased. I'm hearing similar bad quality stories from Mercedes owners and I'm hoping Audi/VW are not going down the same road. I have a German mechanic friend who owns his own shop. He mostly works on BMWs and Mercedes and he has horror story after horror story on what's going on with modern BMWs and Mercedes. We live in a throwaway society and BMW caters to it. Gone is the German high-quality engineering. The BMW M vehicles still drive well, though, mostly, but after having owned performance Audis for the last 13 years I have no desire to go back to RWD. Everybody brags about the performance on paper, but nobody admits that most owners can't realize the performance, because the car can't put the power down. I'd rather have less power, but be able to put it down. Interestingly, even BMW M and AMG have finally come to this conclusion and gave the new M5 and E63 a trick rear-biased AWD system. I'm not a big fan of the Audi/VW MQB platform with the forward-biased Haldex system and relative cheapness being the low entry into Audi, but S/RS4 and up they are rear-biased just the right amount, especially with the rear sport differential, to power-oversteer and power-slide it once in a while for some fun, but they are always ready to hunker down and put all the horses on the pavement.
This isn't 2015 BMW has added back the driving performance. Newer models have gotten their Mojo back and when the current 3 and 5 will be replaced, it will be as dynamic as BMWs of yore. BMW offers AWD and I'm willing to bet that almost any AWD system is better than the Haldex system that I had in my S3. To each his own I guess. But I replaced an S3 with a freaking BMW SUV and the SUV is faster, Gets better MPG, Significantly cheaper to insure even though it cost $10k more, has a much nicer exhaust note, the thing even has a tighter turning circle, I even like the ZF trans better than my S3's dual clutch trans.. I was actually in the market for a BMW 540i but after driving that vehicle it reminded me more of a Lexus than a BMW. Then I drove the new X3 M40i and the excitement was there again big time. The SUV also puts a bigger smile on my face than the S3 ever could have.

Last edited by Spoonie G; 05-14-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Spoonie G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,826
Default

I don't want to hijack this thread but I can write a book about the things that I didn't like about my S3. My first embarrassment was when I tried to do some revs for some buddies and quickly found out that the car will not rev past 4k rpms. lol. My buddies got to hear what 4k rpms sounds like on an Audi S3 which wasn't exciting at all.
Spoonie G is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 4,122
Default

Originally Posted by Spoonie G View Post
This isn't 2015 BMW has added back the driving performance. Newer models have gotten their Mojo back and when the current 3 and 5 will be replaced, it will be as dynamic as BMWs of yore. BMW offers AWD and I'm willing to bet that almost any AWD system is better than the Haldex system that I had in my S3. To each his own I guess. But I replaced an S3 with a freaking BMW SUV and the SUV is faster, Gets better MPG, Significantly cheaper to insure even though it cost $10k more, has a much nicer exhaust note, the thing even has a tighter turning circle, I even like the ZF trans better than my S3's dual clutch trans.. I was actually in the market for a BMW 540i but after driving that vehicle it reminded me more of a Lexus than a BMW. Then I drove the new X3 M40i and the excitement was there again big time. The SUV also puts a bigger smile on my face than the S3 ever could have.
I've edited my post and mentioned the new AWD M5. I'm definitely keeping an eye on them. I'm not knocking the driving performance at all. I actually like driving the M4, but the car overall just doesn't impress me. Comparing what you have to an S3, is also very unfair. I had an S3 for a long weekend road trip into the mountains and let's just say I was very underwhelmed. Much in line with your comments, but if you talk about the X3 M, you should compare it to the SQ5 to be fair or the Porsche Macan. You may change your opinion.
superswiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:56 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,826
Default

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
you should compare it to the SQ5 to be fair or the Porsche Macan. You may change your opinion.
I drove an SQ5 and it felt slow and sloppy in comparison. The SQ5 isn't in the same performance league as the M40i. The SQ5 is significantly slower. I'm not an SUV man. After taking a test drive of the SQ5 I came to the conclusion that SUVs aren't for me. The ride, drive, and feel were awful. I test drove a BMW X3 30i, and just by that test drive I ordered the M40i. The X3 felt so much more composed than the SQ5. And the fake exhaust tips on the SQ5 are awful. As for the Mecan? You'd have to spend about $20k more than the X40i to get a Macan that can accelerate as good as the M40i. Plus the Mecan was too small, doesn't know what it want's to be... is it a car? an SUV? The Mecan just seemed a little too small and dainty looking IMO. Plus the interior was old-school. The Mecan that cost the same price as the X3 M40i is significantly slower. and its perceveid better handling isn't enough to make up the performance deficit IMO.
Spoonie G is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I sold my BMW M4 and switching to an RS3


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: