Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKIII Discussion forum for the 2022 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3

Rs3 2024 - gear 2 jolting gear box when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rs3 2024 - gear 2 jolting gear box when accelerating

Hey guys
i I have just received my brand new rs3 last week (in Australia
gand since then I have noticed the gear box is making a jolting sound/feel. This specifically happens when I’m in gear 2 and accelerating. I believe it may be happening in 3rd gear also.
the car has been driven about 200km.
just wondering if anyone has had similar issues to this with the new rs3?
Thanks
Old 01-26-2024, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome. I’m not sure what a jolting sound is, but, here are a few thoughts: 1) it seems to me like the RS3 takes a bit of time to warm up and shift when expected; 2) because the RS3’s power comes a bit higher in the rev range than some other vehicles, the transmission may hold gears longer than you might initially expect; and 3) the 5 cylinder has its own unique sound and feel. The simplest thing to do (at least here in the U.S.) would probably be to take it to the dealer, have them drive it, and ask if it’s behaving normally. You might also try some different drive modes and see if that resolves/changes what you are experiencing. Basically, the engine/transmission combination in the RS3 may sound and feel different than other vehicles you’ve had in the past. Without having someone with RS3 experience drive the car , it might be diffIcult to know whether your car is behaving normally. Good luck.

Matt
The following users liked this post:
AdamSheikh (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you saying it's jolting when shifting? Or when in gear? Latter is very concerning, former is potentially so.

Assuming the former, does it always do it? Or only in some situations?

The way DSGs work is it has all the even gears on one side of the transmission, and all the odd gears on the other. The way a DSG shifts so fast is it "queues up" what it thinks is the next gear you want so that when it's time to shift, it just switches to the other side of the transmission and is already in gear. So if you're in third, it predicts based on throttle position, speed, etc. whether you will want second next or fourth next. If it guesses "wrong" it has to switch the gear that is queued up quickly, and this can feel like a jolt. It happens most often with sudden opposite inputs - so for example you are coasting in third then all of a sudden floor it, or are accelerating then suddenly slam on the brakes.

But if that's not describing what's happening I have no idea what it is...
Old 01-26-2024, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

To be fair, some partial throttle shifts in the middle of the rev range can lead to a bit of a "kick" in between gears in my experience. I believe it's mostly to do with how soft the engine, trans, and pendulum mounts are on these cars stock. There's a lot of torque being generated for a transverse mounted engine/trans, so there's a ton of drivetrain movement to contend with. Audi went with softer mounts to keep NVH down.

That said, the shifts should be fast and imperceptible under normal loads and conditions, as well as at full throttle shifting near redline. Otherwise, something may indeed be an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Chasriff (01-28-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice a clunk sound when going slow in the cold car as it shifts in to second. The bigger issue is when the car is not warmed up fully and you try to accelerate on an on ramp to the highway the car cuts out like it’s not getting fuel and loses power for a moment. Similar to accelerating then suddenly taking your foot off the gas, but causes the car to then drop in to third hard but off the power….odd. Just turned 5k miles on 23 RS3. Taking in to Audi this week for this issue and a recall.

2023 RS3
Old 04-26-2024, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only clunk I get is downshifting 3---2nd in sport mode. If I don't downshift manually earlier and put 2nd gear to higher revs and wait until it downshifts itself, the 3--2nd is a bit harsh shift. I also noticed if in sports mode and I brake hard to stop, the shift is not bad at all, its only using sports mode in traffic coming to a slow stop. In comfort mode the shift is not bad at all, very smooth.

The jolt he may be talking about is the sudden onset of boost. The factory boost setting in comfort mode is very limp limp and then a sudden kick once the gas is pressed far enough. I did this on accident first time I test drove the car and was like "ops".... After I tuned the car with JB4 the power onset is much more linear, car is boosting even at low revs a bit.