Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Rns -E Voice Commands Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rns -E Voice Commands Problem

Hello. I recently bought Audi A3 '12 with Rns -E navigation plus system.
I have this problem. When I press the speech button in my steering wheel the system understands only the CALL command. As I see in my manual it should understand and other commands like HELP,RADIO etc. But mine works only with CALL.
My phone works perfect with bluetooth, and I have 0220 version in RNS.
Can anyone help me please?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the new RNS-E version as well and only calls are supported. Never heard you could use it for anything else?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FredrikA3
I have the new RNS-E version as well and only calls are supported. Never heard you could use it for anything else?
Are you sure? Because I see videos with voice commands you use to control your RNS system.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Giannis Goutzamanis
Are you sure? Because I see videos with voice commands you use to control your RNS system.
If you activate the voice and don't say anything it will tell you the possible commands. Mine are only call related.

I cannot do another test as the car got sold yesterday.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FredrikA3
If you activate the voice and don't say anything it will tell you the possible commands. Mine are only call related.

I cannot do another test as the car got sold yesterday.
Probably you are right. If I activate the voice and don't say anything after some seconds it turns off. It understands only the phone commands.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, have 2009 a3 with rns-e and mfsw with voice and factory bt . can not get sds to work with nav or any execpt phone.
regards Phil
Address 56: Radio Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 035 192 S HW: 8P0 035 192 S
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H77 0650
Revision: 04S Serial number: AUZBZ7H4115954
Coding: 0209757
Shop #: WSC 00067 210 75633

2 Faults Found:
02261 - Data Medium
014 - Defective - Intermittent
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
Old 02-15-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

also my manual has Full section on SDS comands, for all functions ?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by killphil
also my manual has Full section on SDS comands, for all functions ?
So, SDS commands should be supported, but they never worked well. However I was still only able to get it working to call contacts. Opening Siri was a much better solution for me.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi so incredible infos
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Enable FULL SDS

HI, I HAVE rns-e plus and high line MFS and OEM BT ,. I want to enable full SDS .I have copied the 660 software to a cd .But i already have the 650 SW and i can see the SDS file on the Map DVD, (IT LOOKS THE SAME AS THE 660 SW) My concern is if I update with the 660 SW CD Will my Maps DVD with the 650 SW still work.
Also ,where is best place to pick up the Mic wires ?
Many thanks Phil

Originally Posted by Flakmunky
Taken from my post over at Navplus.us

Info for others coming along later...

All of this information comes from various threads on the navplus.us forum, however 'SDS' is too short a search term which makes it very hard to find the information so I thought a post with the full term in the title might make it easier for other noobs like me in future...

Enabling the Speech Dialogue System (SDS)

I have just got SDS working in my A4. I downloaded the update CD (from here) burnt it to a CD-R (ISO-9660) and finalised the disc. The update took some time and appeared to have hung but it eventually went on and when it finished I had the SDS menu options.

I then recoded the Bluetooth module (from 1xxxx to 1xx0x) and after that pressing the PTT gave me a beep, then after 10 seconds or so the woman would give a list of commands, so I knew it was all working I just needed to rewire the microphone.

I had a couple of spare repair wires (000-979-009) which I put in to the following positions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.G6HNI

MIC +ve ---> RNS-E MIC IN +ve ---> C7
MIC -ve ---> RNS-E MIC IN -ve ---> C1

And then used Scotchbloks to tap in to the Microphone wires.

Anyway, after I had the mic wired in, everything worked fine and as it should. In fact the microphone quality seems to have improved slightly but maybe that is down to too many beers after the install?!

Many, many thanks to all the kind people who post to this forum as they have helped me to install options which would have cost close to £3000 from Audi for approx. £650.

Regards,

fM

NOTES:

I couldn't recode the BT immediately (because my laptop needed rebuilding) and after flashing the SDS firmware I got some strange behaviour which disapeared when the BT was coded properly.

Basically until the BT was coded the RNS-E started complaining that the navigation disc was incompatible. Resetting the unit (hold Radio + Setup for ~6 seconds) and removing the disc showed the map, but as soon as I tried to set a destination it would hang.

Other people who hadn't recoded the Bluetooth module stated that the DIS displayed Speak and then immediatley afterwards Phone. Perhaps they didn't try using navigation?

Anyway, the brown trouser moment lasted until I coded the BT unit, whereupon all of the problems disappeared. To check if everything is working prior to pulling the unit and rewiring the mic, pressing the PTT should give a beep, then after 10 seconds or so the woman will say "Pardon?" and then after another 10 seconds or so a list of possible commands.

My experience suggests that if you don't like SDS you will have to 'downgrade' to the non SDS firmware and then recode your BT back as the two cannot co-exist, even if the mic is disconnected from the RNS-E.