2012 Audi A5- EPC Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 Audi A5- EPC Light issue

Hello,
Recently purchased a 2012 Audi A5 S-Line with 68.5K. I new before hand that car had issues so that was my bargaining chip to a really low price as I wanted this car for as a project car.

Issue I'm having is that when the car revvs close to 4kRPM, EPC light comes on and I get a warning on dash to not exceed that RPM, no CHECK ENGINE light. Car drives fine whether lights are on/off, but just cant go past 4kRPM. I usually just switch off/on the car and lights go away. I've searched around and other owners have a bit of a different symptom; check engine light, rough idle/sputtering which ends up being something completely different.

Took it to a "Audi Shop" (not dealer) for diagnostics to which they ran a scan and they determined that symptoms and codes that computer picked up was related to two oil pressure sensors; one sensor having low voltage and one having no voltage at all. Paid the shop almost $200 for diagnostics. Went to an Audi dealer afterwards to purchase the sensors mechanic had pointed out and replace them on my own.

Drove the car for couple of blocks revving past 4kRPM and no issues. Parked the car, turned car off/on drove again and issue came back when nearing 4kRPM. One suggestion I got by a friend of mine (which has an Audi RS5) is to disconnect the battery for about 10min so that ECU can go through the relearn process. Is this true?

Additionally, i read elsewhere that it can be also that the oil pump is going out.

Has anyone had similar issue, if so what was done by you or your mechanic to correct the problem. and if you dont mind, how much did it end up costing you to repair? So far for me it has been $120 for both sensors + 200 diagnostic (which I think they diag the engine wrong)

any recommendations on where to start looking???