Any BMW to Audi Converts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I fear you have been infected by AMG fever

The C43 uses a fixed 31:69 front to rear torque split, and has open diffs. You need to buy the V8s before you get the good AWD stuff, as your description above fits the system in the E63.

No offence, but I don't think you can have compared an S5 cabriolet with a Sport diff, S adaptive suspension and Dynamic steering against a C43 cab, because we tend to be in the ballpark on views and "The C43 is also a lot more responsive and more fun to drive." doesn't compute at all. I have not driven the updated 2019 version, but the main change is using the larger turbochargers from the E43, which is a good thing as I preferred the feel of the E43 over the C43. The brakes in the S5 always felt a lot better than those used on the C43 as well. Where the C43 is more responsive is when in Comfort mode vs D mode on the S5 - but I would never drive either car in those modes myself.

And the C43 feels crude compared to the S5, apart from that I quite liked it ...
I completely missed that he was looking at the cabs and yes, I got too excited by the 4MATIC+ system . I feel the C43 has overall more character and with MY19 it is improved like the rest of the C-Class, and got more power as well, but yes, the AMG-light models aren't really my cup of tea, so I may have overstated it a bit.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-05-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I fear you have been infected by AMG fever

The C43 uses a fixed 31:69 front to rear torque split, and has open diffs. You need to buy the V8s before you get the good AWD stuff, as your description above fits the system in the E63.

No offence, but I don't think you can have compared an S5 cabriolet with a Sport diff, S adaptive suspension and Dynamic steering against a C43 cab, because we tend to be in the ballpark on views and "The C43 is also a lot more responsive and more fun to drive." doesn't compute at all. I have not driven the updated 2019 version, but the main change is using the larger turbochargers from the E43, which is a good thing as I preferred the feel of the E43 over the C43. The brakes in the S5 always felt a lot better than those used on the C43 as well. Where the C43 is more responsive is when in Comfort mode vs D mode on the S5 - but I would never drive either car in those modes myself.

And the C43 feels crude compared to the S5, apart from that I quite liked it ...
I think that's changing for 2019. I believe the C43 is getting the 4Matic +. But again, the C43 is not as good of a daily as the S5. The S4/S5 are literally the definition of the perfect daily driver. It's quick, gives you some sort of emotion with the quiet pops, and is super super comfortable. You can't defy the laws of physics. There is just too much weight over the front axle of the Audi, and the engine is pushed too far forward in front of the front axle. The B9 has made significant strides, but it's still lacking in the 'soul' department.

I've also started having problems with my iPhone XS Max and the Bluetooth connection.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
I think that's changing for 2019. I believe the C43 is getting the 4Matic +.
That's what I had in mind, but unfortunately that's not the case yet. I jumped the gun, @Glisse is correct. AMG is going 4Matic+ across their entire lineup. The all-new E53 has 4Matic+ and the new GT 4-door, 43, 53, 63 all have 4Matic+, but the C-Class has to wait for the all-new generation. I'm guessing the next generation C-Class AMGs will all have 4Matic+, including the C63, but also likely no V8TT anymore.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's what I had in mind, but unfortunately that's not the case yet. I jumped the gun, @Glisse is correct. AMG is going 4Matic+ across their entire lineup. The all-new E53 has 4Matic+ and the new GT 4-door, 43, 53, 63 all have 4Matic+, but the C-Class has to wait for the all-new generation. I'm guessing the next generation C-Class AMGs will all have 4Matic+, including the C63, but also likely no V8TT anymore.
Well, that sucks. I agree. I think the V8 is on its deathbed. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can count me among the converts, though in the strictest sense my last car wasn't a BMW, but very close to it. Had a 5-speed manual 2006 Mini Cooper, the last year they were essentially British assembled BMWs. Drove it 14 years and put 173,500 miles on it. Would still be driving it if booth window motors had not failed less than a month apart. Hadn't fixed the driver's window when the other one went out, a sure sign it was time to finally pull the trigger after looking for about 3 years. Really wanted another stick, but they don't make 5 speeds anymore and I wasn't married to the idea of a 6 gear. Never the less, the first few had sticks. Here's what I tried before settling on the A5:

Fiat 124 (no leg room & too much engine vibration felt in stick)
BMW Series 2 (much better drive train than the Fiat but no where as much fun to drive as the Mini).
Alfa Romeo Guilia (Super fun car to drive but likely not reliable)
Audi A5

I still probably would have bought a BMW except for one thing. The local BMW dealerships (two of them owned by same company) here in Las Vegas are nearly unanimously considered the worst BMW dealerships in North America. Had several people tell me that they're so bad that it takes all the fun out of buying a new car. "If you really want the German luxury car buying experience, need to get a Porche or Audi". My own experience the day I test drove the 2-Series confirmed that observation, took them an hour to find keys to a car with a stick, then the salesmen who rode with me couldn't even tell me what factory the car was assembled in.