RS5 Exhaust Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RS5 Exhaust Problem?

I have a 2018 RS5. With the cold weather comes the ability to see my exhaust which only comes out of the drivers side tailpipe. I have included links to two videos showing what I am describing.

Exhaust Video 1

Exhaust Video 2

I have taken the car to the dealer and at first they said that this is normal because one of the tailpipes is really just for looks. I called BS on that. I decided to video the issue and once they saw it they decided that it wasn't normal and they ordered and replaced the right side muffler. On the ticket when I picked up the car they again said that this is inline with other RS5's of similar years. Replacing the muffler made no change.

I am wondering if there is anyone that has a 2018/2019 RS5 that lives where it is cold now. Is what I am seeing normal or not? Would anyone be willing to post a video showing their car in cold weather for comparison? Either it would confirm that what my dealer is telling me is in fact true or it would contradict what they are telling me and I could show them proof that this is not normal.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 485 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveohtogo
I have a 2018 RS5. With the cold weather comes the ability to see my exhaust which only comes out of the drivers side tailpipe. I have included links to two videos showing what I am describing.

Exhaust Video 1

Exhaust Video 2

I have taken the car to the dealer and at first they said that this is normal because one of the tailpipes is really just for looks. I called BS on that. I decided to video the issue and once they saw it they decided that it wasn't normal and they ordered and replaced the right side muffler. On the ticket when I picked up the car they again said that this is inline with other RS5's of similar years. Replacing the muffler made no change.

I am wondering if there is anyone that has a 2018/2019 RS5 that lives where it is cold now. Is what I am seeing normal or not? Would anyone be willing to post a video showing their car in cold weather for comparison? Either it would confirm that what my dealer is telling me is in fact true or it would contradict what they are telling me and I could show them proof that this is not normal.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
I have a 2019 RS5 SB, live in the Chicago area, and reported the same problem to my dealer soon after I got the car. The car was on the lift so we could look at the exhaust. Only 1 pipe comes from the engine to the rear of the car. There is a Y near the rear, which splits that one pipe into two. At low speeds the exhaust flow may favor one side or the other when it hits the Y, but as the volume and speed of the exhaust gases increase, the flow will even out. It does not indicate an imbalance at the engine, and it's nothing to worry about. At least, that's what I was told 45K miles ago, and all is well.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on engine mode as well. Comfort mode means only left pipe. Dynamic mode idles out of both pipes.