Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
View Poll Results: Classic S5 or 2013 New S5
I like the classic 2010-2012 S5 Look w/ V8
62.59%
I like the new 2013 S5 Look with the 3.0 Supercharger
37.41%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

2009-2012 S5 vs 2013 S5

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Exactly why I'm awaiting the 2012.5/2013 S5 with s/c V6 and s-tronic. The V8 certainly has a great sound, but that extra Hp is only useful for high speed on the autobahn or track. Give me stronger torque lower in the rev band for daily driver needs. I do wish they had stayed with the original styling however.

Originally Posted by PeterJay
I could never understand why the need for the V-8. My Supercharged V-6 has got all the "giddy-up" the law allows or you would ever honestly need. Less weight, better gas mileage, better engine over all.
Unless you live near the Autobahn or in Montana, where and WHY do you need more speed ?? All it will buy you is trouble or an early ticket to the "Pearly Gates".
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterJay
I could never understand why the need for the V-8. My Supercharged V-6 has got all the "giddy-up" the law allows or you would ever honestly need. Less weight, better gas mileage, better engine over all.
Unless you live near the Autobahn or in Montana, where and WHY do you need more speed ?? All it will buy you is trouble or an early ticket to the "Pearly Gates".
The 3.0T is known to be a bit underrated by Audi, so the S5 will actually be slightly faster with the 3.0T than with the 4.2 V8. Exhaust note is really the only advantage that the S5's 4.2 has over the 3.0T.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudisandAlfas

Except for the sound of a V8 I prefer more efficient forced induction engines for their ability to add cheap power. .
Owners of the Supercharger V6 are posting really low MPG. Seeing the MPGs, the V6 superchargers seem to eat more gas than the V8. I'm constantly getting 18.5 - 19 MPG for city driving on my V8 and heard the guys driving the V6 are pissed they are getting very low MPG, some claiming 12MPG. So, I don't think its cheap power.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
....So, I don't think its cheap power.
I think what he meant by "cheap power" is that you can get big HP gains with any forced induction car compared to a naturally aspirated engine. For example, it's cheap and easy to increase the boost pressure on a turbocharged car or a supercharged car and get big gains. To get the same kind of increase in power on a naturally aspirated engine would be much, much more expensive.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beakerz
I think what he meant by "cheap power" is that you can get big HP gains with any forced induction car compared to a naturally aspirated engine. For example, it's cheap and easy to increase the boost pressure on a turbocharged car or a supercharged car and get big gains. To get the same kind of increase in power on a naturally aspirated engine would be much, much more expensive.
Yeah, I know what you mean. For Audi, they save money and put that in their pocket, but not your pocket LOL.

For the S5 buyers/consumers, you will be paying higher prices for next year's model even with a cheaper engine, and more gas money for city driving. And in the long run, it's still a debate which will be a more reliable engine - naturally aspirated? or forced induction? I'm still voting for naturally aspirated engine for long-term reliability. How much will it cost to repair a broker supercharger once it's out of warranty? BMW extended their warranty for their turbos - will Audi do the same? Right now, it does not look like it.

In the end, consumer like you will be paying much higher, while Audi will pocket the profits for giving you a cheap engine for the S5. LOL.

Last edited by ayap; 11-22-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Owners of the Supercharger V6 are posting really low MPG. Seeing the MPGs, the V6 superchargers seem to eat more gas than the V8. I'm constantly getting 18.5 - 19 MPG for city driving on my V8 and heard the guys driving the V6 are pissed they are getting very low MPG, some claiming 12MPG. So, I don't think its cheap power.
Uh, no............my 3.0 V-6 gets amazing mileage, mainly because of the way I drive. Sanely.
I routinely get 23 mpg...........comb.hwy./ city.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The form of the current S5 is more seductive. But the upcoming S5 offer several significant improvements both in interior appointments and engine fuel efficiency.

The upcoming model offers enough of the original for me to still consider purchasing a S5. It is still a beautiful machine.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. For Audi, they save money and put that in their pocket, but not your pocket LOL.

For the S5 buyers/consumers, you will be paying higher prices for next year's model even with a cheaper engine, and more gas money for city driving. And in the long run, it's still a debate which will be a more reliable engine - naturally aspirated? or forced induction? I'm still voting for naturally aspirated engine for long-term reliability. How much will it cost to repair a broker supercharger once it's out of warranty? BMW extended their warranty for their turbos - will Audi do the same? Right now, it does not look like it.

In the end, consumer like you will be paying much higher, while Audi will pocket the profits for giving you a cheap engine for the S5. LOL.

I've actually owned 6 different turbo cars over the years and 3 supercharged cars. None of them ever once had an issue with the turbo/supercharger, so I don't see that as a concern at all. Sure, there's more complexity in a forced induction car, but the components are very robust and reliable. Not to mention an engine designed for forced induction is inherently "overbuilt" to withstand the additional loads associated with boost pressure.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are pros and cons to smaller FI engines and bigger NA engines. "Cheap horse power" does not equate to a "cheaper engine" and there are no data to support the myth that NA engines has better reliability over FI engines. Its all about how well they are engineered and build.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you all out of your mind preferring the older v8 over this gem of a v6SC?

It not only delivers better performance and is easier on fuel but it sounds a bit like a Porsche 911 near the limiter.

Quick Reply: 2009-2012 S5 vs 2013 S5