Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2013 Audi S5 Reliability Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi S5 Reliability Questions

Hey guys,

Thanks for those who took the time to read this post. I am thinking about buying a 2013 Audi S5 with 30K miles on it, one owner and from a dealership.

I am concerned about the reliability and wanted to test the forum on my concerns.

1.) Gearbox malfunction: Does the gearbox malfunction apply to the 2013 year model? Is it the same transmission as 2012 or 2011, or a different one?

2.) Electrical and computer issues: I haven't found anything on this topic specifically, but have any of you had any electrical issues?

3.) Carbon build up: I know this is a recurring problem for any DI car, but how bad is this problem with S5s, does the Supercharger help reduce the carbon build-up?

5.) Major oil leaks from seals and gaskets or other areas: Has anyone experienced any major oil leaks from this engine block?

6.) Any other problems I may not know of: If there is something I missed, please let me know.

Thanks,
HS
Old 09-12-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Car!

I have a '13 S5 now for 5+ years. July 2012. I've had no serious issues.

The '13 S5 is an s-tronic tranny or dual clutch and no issues here, it shifts quick and smoooooth. The '11/'12 S5 were 6 sp. tiptronic.

The only electrical issues I had were when the 4.5 year old battery was no longer holding a good charge because of all my short trips and radar detector and dash cams. New battery and all is well.

No carbon build-up and car feels strong as when new. I do try and always get Top Tier fuel and occasionally toss a can of VW G17 fuel additive into the tank.
Audi G17 fuel additive

No oil leaks ever.

You say dealership, but no mention if its an Audi dealership. If not, make sure to price in the s-tronic 35K service...its expensive, but a must do. My car also had to have the cat reprogrammed, by the dealer, to avoid premature cat failure and a CEL.

This is one wonderful car and I cannot see myself getting rid of it for anything else, even the new B9.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. How much is the s-tronic service?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Harsh Singh
Thanks for the reply. How much is the s-tronic service?
Anywhere plus or minus 1K. Shop around different Audi dealers.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default LOL. How do you program a catalytic converter!😆?

Originally Posted by lmariorod
I have a '13 S5 now for 5+ years. July 2012. I've had no serious issues.

The '13 S5 is an s-tronic tranny or dual clutch and no issues here, it shifts quick and smoooooth. The '11/'12 S5 were 6 sp. tiptronic.

The only electrical issues I had were when the 4.5 year old battery was no longer holding a good charge because of all my short trips and radar detector and dash cams. New battery and all is well.

No carbon build-up and car feels strong as when new. I do try and always get Top Tier fuel and occasionally toss a can of VW G17 fuel additive into the tank.
Audi G17 fuel additive

No oil leaks ever.

You say dealership, but no mention if its an Audi dealership. If not, make sure to price in the s-tronic 35K service...its expensive, but a must do. My car also had to have the cat reprogrammed, by the dealer, to avoid premature cat failure and a CEL.

This is one wonderful car and I cannot see myself getting rid of it for anything else, even the new B9.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Thru ECU...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...tware-2907293/
Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 50k miles on my 2013 S5 Prestige. There have been no failures of any kind. Front brakes were replaced at 48k miles, backs still good. I have a manual 6-speed, so the first service of any importance is at 55k for new plugs. It still drives like new.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bought a 2013 S5 with 31k. Put 10k on her in the last year and a half and the car has been absolutely solid.

Only complaint is that the right B&O door speaker has had an intermittent rattle. Audi fixed this before the warranty went out, but it came back. Took the door panel off and could not locate it for the life of me. I believe it’s the cover, but I honestly haven’t been motivated to pull it off again.

I’ve been contemplating selling her off since I’ve moved out of the city, but I don’t know if I can bring myself to do it. The car is phenomenal. 10/10.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there any reason to avoid the 2013 ? Any changes after the first year of facelift
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The S-tronic was available pre-2013 on verts which had the V6T. There were "updates" that make the 2013+ gearboxes more reliable. The earlier boxes suffered from the electronics side of the Mechatronic, corrosion specifically, to some of the electrical contacts. They now sell just the electrical side of the mechatronic if you encounter a failure for about $350. Installation not included of course

Other than that, carbon buildup is a thing an any DI auto, Audi or otherwise. How much you value precision and performance will dictate how often you have a carbon clean done.

Front suspension bushings seem to be another area of contention but are easily replaced and can be an issue across the A5/S5/RS5. There are little niggling issues like squeaks and rattles, most are easily fixed by the owner.

One owner sold by dealer or otherwise, I'd get a full maintenance history from said dealer. I think that'll give you a better determination of build quality on this particular car. If it's been in for a lot of little fixes, probably best to move on. Also make sure all the services were performed. Likely that they were but best to check.

Quick Reply: 2013 Audi S5 Reliability Questions