Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2013 S5 Winter Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S5 Winter Tire Recommendation

I have a 2013 S5 with the 19" 5-segment-spoke design 255/35 summer performance tires. I drive around 20000 miles per year.

Any recommendations for winter tires? Should I just get new tires like the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and have only the tires replaced every season or should I get new rims too?

If the latter, should I get 18" instead or keep at 19"? If so, what rims can you recommend matching the ones I have that came with the car? Don't need anything fancy. Looking at tirerack.com I see so many choices I am completely lost.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Winter tires

Originally Posted by rbirk
I have a 2013 S5 with the 19" 5-segment-spoke design 255/35 summer performance tires. I drive around 20000 miles per year.

Any recommendations for winter tires? Should I just get new tires like the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D and have only the tires replaced every season or should I get new rims too?

If the latter, should I get 18" instead or keep at 19"? If so, what rims can you recommend matching the ones I have that came with the car? Don't need anything fancy. Looking at tirerack.com I see so many choices I am completely lost.
I like Hartmann wheels myself (I'm on my 3rd set from them) as they are well made (made in Europe) and stand up to the potholes. My last two S cars had 19" summers, so I went with 18" for winter. If buying a package from Tire Rack, I would start with a wheel made in Europe and not one made in China. Then you can compare prices to Hartmann wheels.

My last 3 sets of winter tires - Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - a great tire for winter use.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just ordered 19" wheels from my Audi dealership for dedicated winter use. I'm excited to see them when they come in because I have yet to see an Audi with these wheels - I couldn't find pictures anywhere. All they could give me at the dealership was a part number and a sketch. I'm wondering if they're new?

As far as tires...

The tires they offered me were Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 ($355 ea), and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 ($395 ea). I read some reviews but the Alpin PA4's are new, so there isn't a whole lot of commentary out there. What I read was good, though, so I went with the Alpin PA4. The commentary was that the Alpin was a harder tire that would likely give better performance in the winter, while the Blizzak was a softer tire that would likely be better in deep snow.

I guess I'll find out first hand in a couple months.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmbcrew36
I just ordered 19" wheels from my Audi dealership for dedicated winter use. I'm excited to see them when they come in because I have yet to see an Audi with these wheels - I couldn't find pictures anywhere. All they could give me at the dealership was a part number and a sketch. I'm wondering if they're new?

As far as tires...

The tires they offered me were Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 ($355 ea), and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 ($395 ea). I read some reviews but the Alpin PA4's are new, so there isn't a whole lot of commentary out there. What I read was good, though, so I went with the Alpin PA4. The commentary was that the Alpin was a harder tire that would likely give better performance in the winter, while the Blizzak was a softer tire that would likely be better in deep snow.

I guess I'll find out first hand in a couple months.
Review: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...-Alpin-Pa4.htm
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also looking for winter tires and wheels. I like the Dunlop winter SPs a lot, based on my experience with them on my wife's BMW X5.

As far as wheels, I am leaning towards the 18" black OZ Ultraleggera. They are light wheels made in Italy, but I am not sure how they hold up in potholes.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went through this last year... the consensus I got was that the top 3 were:
-Bridgestone Blizzak
-Dunlop Sport 3D
-Michelin Alpin PA3

The PA4 is new and appears to be a little more expensive.

After doing some work, I went with the PA3s, because the reviews on Tirerack appeared to be slightly better (just slightly), and the warranty rating was better. That being said, this link suggests they are more equal now:
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Compare...ty10=4&Qty11=4

There were a lot of people advocating for the Blizzaks and the Dunlops on this board, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of these options.

As for the rims, I went with 18" for winter as it was cheaper and from my understanding better for winter driving than 19", as the sidewall is larger. You'd keep 19" if you care more about the looks. Some people go 20" inthe summer an 19" in the winter so I doubt it's dangerous, but for me the cost differential led me to go 18" since I don't care as much how the rims look when covered in snow and mud. If you go 18", you would obviously need separate rims (this is also cheaper to change every season since less work and less damage than having to swap rims every season). Don't go crazy on rims during winter, just get the cheapest ones that look ok.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Toronto S5; 10-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Continental DWS. Great in the snow and will last 50K Also a very good summer tire..
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wreck111
Continental DWS. Great in the snow and will last 50K Also a very good summer tire..
An all-season tire will NEVER be a good as a dedicated winter tire.
It also will NEVER be as good as a performance summer tire in the summer.

OP you cant lose with WinterSports or Blizzaks.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Modern low profile tires have stiff beads and sidewalls vs gradpas balloon tires 40 yrs ago , so seasonal swapping like in their day is a no go on a high performance car like this with its oem summer only rubber. The summer tires will be weakened and manufacturers are vague about it because they dont know how ham fisted any particular tire changing jockey is , but the shorter the sidewall, the riskier it becomes with more than a couple dismounts, I have heard, esp heavy cars like S4/5 with its shoreter sidewall OEM XL load range specified tire.

Last edited by Inclined; 10-19-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alzor wheels are available in the five rotor style and 17" and 18" for reasonable price and fit the S5.

http://www.alzorwheels.com/style-628/

Hartmann makes similar styles in 17", 18" 19".

http://shop.achtuning.com/Hartmann-H...eels-Audi.aspx

My 2013 S5 came with 18" Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires in 245/40/18 size. I will replace the Michelins with Hakka R snow tires in 225/45/18. The narrower the snow tire the better. 215/50/17 would be a good size for 17".

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...akkapeliitta+R

I have had several sets of Hakkas, including the studded ones, and have never been disappointed with their performance, compared to the Blizzaks I have had. They are a little more expensive than the Blizzaks, but worth it, and they are available everywhere. Tire Rack does not sell Hakkas or Alzor or Hartmann.

Quick Reply: 2013 S5 Winter Tire Recommendation