Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017
View Poll Results: Should I buy this S5?
Audi S5
100.00%
Audi S5 transmission
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

2014 audi s5 62k miles with new transmission ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 audi s5 62k miles with new transmission ???

I’m looking to buy an Audi s5 between the years of 2014-2017 and I found a 2014 with 62k miles on it, but the transmission was replaced due to a drive position sensor fault rather than disassembled and repaired because it was stated in the service invoice as highly unlikely to fix the problem so they ended up fitting in a new transmission. Also the water pump was replaced and wheel bearings and hubs replaced. I feel that this car was just one of the bad ones that came off the line and is bound to have more problems in the near future if I buy it. Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2021, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm assuming the S5 has the S-Tronic/DSG dual clutch transmission. It being completely replaced is not surprising because it's cheaper to swap out an entire module (faster) than paying someone lots and lots of hours to take apart the transmission and really rebuild it correctly. It takes special training and special tools to work on them and neither the dealership nor the mechanics that have to buy their own tools want to make the investment.

As for the water pump, that's almost a maintenance item on German cars. BMWs have it much worse in their prev generation engines. Finally, the wheel bearings and hubs are also common weak points on this generation car.

All in all, these are normal problems for this generation Audi A5. For a car that's 8 years old, here are a few more things you should expect need replacement in the next 2 to 3 years (in no particular order):

- tires
- struts/shocks
- spark plugs
- ignition coil
- brake pads/rotor
- water pump (yes, again)
- PCV valve

in about 3 - 5 years, you're looking at:
- fuel injectors
- high pressure fuel pump
- engine mount (if it has Audi Drive Select dynamic suspension)
- upper and lower control bushings, center drive axel bushing, rear control arm bushings, etc. (basically all rubber bushings)
- all fluids (coolant, brake, transmission, 3 differentials -- there's no such thing as lifetime fluid)
- intake carbon clean (not replacement, just a walnut shell blast)

other common problems:

- fuel door release
- multimedia system
- backup camera
- sunroof (leaking)
- oil leaks, coolant leaks, vacuum leaks, cylinder head leaks (anything that uses rubber/RTV seals or involves plastic)
The following users liked this post:
Chronicle (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Serive invoice states that they replaced the rotors and brake pads around 42k miles and spark plugs were also replaced along with new tires and were rebalanced. It also says that the fuel level sending unit was replaced at 42k. They also replaced the backup camera and repaired the body’s electrical wiring. It looks like it was maintained well and everything was done at an Audi dealership Im just hopeing that it’s not a car that’s gonna give me problems soon after I buy it especially sense it’s 8 years old.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts

Good luck! These are great cars when everything is working well.