Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 oil consumption - 350 miles per quart! Something wrong here? Please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 oil consumption - 350 miles per quart! Something wrong here? Please advise...

I have a 2010 A5 2.0T and just had my 15000 mile service done. They supposedly put in 5 quarts of oil. The oil indicator when I got my car back was definitely reading "full"

About 1750 miles later (about 10 weeks) my oil warning light was on and the indicator shows it empty- so I had to buy an (expensive) quart to top it off since dealer was closed on Sunday.

This works out to 350 miles per quart! This is way below specs!

A similar thing happened after my 5000 mile oil change as well- low oil level just weeks after that oil change, requiring a topoff. But after topping off, I was basically fine over the next 10000 miles (maybe needing only one more topoff in that time).

Is this normal behavior? I would think if there was excessive oil consumption, I would be continually adding oil every 3 months - which hasn't happened. Every time they change my oil, my car seems to burn off all the oil in weeks. Is this something to get checked out or is there some sort of explanation? I am worried because I am reading about others being told that there is a batch of bad A5's with oil consumption problems.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

One correction: The MMI oil gauge only shows the top quart of oil, so your car consumed one quart in 1750 miles, not five. That is still a higher than expected rate of oil consumption, but not as bad as previously thought.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

It honestly sounds as if you've answered your own question here buddy.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just about to open a thread based on recent similar issue.. I had y last oil change at 36K and just last Thursday on a trip to our nations capital 'low oil' signal is displayed, i was cruising at 70-80mph range. I have my oil changed every 10K and never had a problem before. I somehow find hard to believe my vehicle has consumed 4 quarters of oil in just 5k miles, i was forced to stop in the middle of nowhere and after visiting 3 different towns in search of synthetic oil i finally found an Autozone business. Systems told me to add 1 quarter and continue driving and so I did. Once I reached our national capital I parked my car and let it cool off until the morning after at which point I checked the oil level and it showed just a bit over the top, i know this is not recommended but vehicle system showed me my oil level being at it's lowest, around a quarter only. I am really confused, I never had this happening to me before.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I forgot to mention that my MMI don't have the '[CAR] > Oil Level' feature as shown in page 264 of my vehicle manual. Anybody knows how to access the feature???
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

there is something that I don't understand.
the oil-level between max and min stands for 1 liter = 1 quart.
one should never have an oil-level above max.
so, why do you top it up by putting in a quart ??
half a quart is good enough to begin with.

oh, and another thing:
don't you have a bottle with oil in the boot ??
oh, don't you check you oil-level so now and again ??

in other words, if you drive the car without paying attention to its vitals, you will run into surprises.
going further, you probably don't check the tire-pressure either ??
or the windscreen-wiper-fluid-level ??
Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fred44nl
there is something that I don't understand.
the oil-level between max and min stands for 1 liter = 1 quart.
one should never have an oil-level above max.
so, why do you top it up by putting in a quart ??
half a quart is good enough to begin with.

oh, and another thing:
don't you have a bottle with oil in the boot ??
oh, don't you check you oil-level so now and again ??

in other words, if you drive the car without paying attention to its vitals, you will run into surprises.
going further, you probably don't check the tire-pressure either ??
or the windscreen-wiper-fluid-level ??
MMI displayed 'Low Oil - ( with a cylindrical sketch showing what appeared to be the engine block volume indicating all empty except for 1 quarter only at bottom part ) - Add 1 quarter and continue driving' and so I did, I bought a quarter and poured it into the engine thinking it would turn out to be 2 quarters in engine as previously seeing in display feature. Apparently MMI doesn't show what is actually left in engine but what it missed.. meaning that when I was prompted with the warning, I was really being told that a quarter was consumed out of the 5 quarters available and to add 1 quarter to top it off.

As for your bottle with oil in the boot?.. No I don't carry oil or any other products in the boot anymore, I perform maintenance intervals by the book, never had a problem before and i never misunderstood a warning signal except for this time. When I need to top anything or perform a task in my vehicle, I stop and purchase what I need. Your boot dispenser goes back to the 70's-80's when vehicles didn't have any electronics sensors and we had to carry most parts in the 'boot' so we wouldn't get get stranded out in the road.

I am asking for help here, i don't need your sarcasm or your oldies thinking.

I have TPMS in my four tires so I don't have to get on my knees anymore and check pressures.

You won an Audi yet you sound like you own a Yugo.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GuzmanA5
I have TPMS in my four tires so I don't have to get on my knees anymore and check pressures.
I hope you have TPMS in each tire and not the electronic system, working on ABS/ESD/ESP, which will keep track of pressure differences between the tires, rather than monitors the actual pressure.

and as for the bottle of oil in the boot: when we get our car delivered from the dealer, we get a bottle of oil handed over: "keep it in the boot, just in case."

Last edited by fred44nl; 05-24-2011 at 01:18 AM.