Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

It was an agonizing decision, but I'm sadly leaving the Audi clan (for a while, anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was an agonizing decision, but I'm sadly leaving the Audi clan (for a while, anyway)

After many months of thinking, test driving, mad dashes to the Audi Forum in NYC in between meetings, and cruising this forum I've gone from wanting a 335ic to the S5 and have now finally decided on a Cayman S.

I know it's a completely different car from the others, and I'm going to be giving up a lot of creature comforts, but I've wanted a Porsche since the first time I saw one when I was about 14 and now I'm finally going to do it.

I've had my A4 for almost 10 years now, and I've loved (virtually - it IS a German car!) every minute I've driven it. I love the style and performance of Audi's cars and I'm sure the S5 is a going to be a fantastic vehicle. I can't wait to see folks start to post pictures and stories of their cars. (I'm going to continue to lurk here from time to time, unless you ban me...)

My S probably won't be showing up until late December or early January, so I've still got a few more months of Audi driving in store. Thanks to everybody on the board for all the great discussion and entertainment. I've got to say, I've checked out other boards from alternate Audi sites to BMW to Porsche pretty extenisively over the last few months, and AudiWorld is still the KING!

Thanks to all,
Mike
Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 AM
adk
AudiWorld Member

Default Interesting -- that's the most tempting "alternative" for me as well

even though they're not typicaly thought of as competitors. I drove one a while back and it's a fantastic car. Even gets decent mileage! Just not sure I can do without the (relative) practicality, cargo-wise, of the S5. Also find it hard to keep below $75K even without some of the extravagant options. Have you checked out caymanclub.net?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Interesting -- that's the most tempting "alternative" for me as well

Porsche has never done it for me! But any man who has had an Audi for 10 years probably has the experience to make a sound decision, enjoy the new ride, if I ever were to go Porche, which I don't think ever would happen, a Cayman S wouldn't be a bad foray.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Congrats! Great choice (at least until Audi rolls out the R4 in a few years) :-)
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I looked at the Cayman, but with my options it would've been $75k after taxes

I still haven't settled between the A5 and S5, but if I go with the S5 (more likely at the moment), my main competition will be the temptation to stretch just a bit more for the C63 AMG.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I spent several weeks "lurking" on caymanclub researching. Great site!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 AM

Default My stretch too includes C63 but also new Jag XF-R

Should get the pricing today on the new Jag S-type replacement and can see where the R and the next lower premium luxury will cost out in comparison to the S5. I know these two alternatives are sedans (C63 & Jag XF) but the performance of the C63 and the looks/performance of the XF are mighty appealing (IMO).

They (jag) may have a good lease plan for the XF-R, hence I will give it a shot.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman S is a great car, congrats...

I like the TechArt body kit for the Cayman, very nice.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Elder Member

Nothing wrong wit dat. Congrats.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, at least you went for a cayman instead of the boring, ubiquitous 335i. don't be a stranger!

Quick Reply: It was an agonizing decision, but I'm sadly leaving the Audi clan (for a while, anyway)