Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone driven the Audi Experience at Infineon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone driven the Audi Experience at Infineon?

Looking for a 40th birthday idea for myself and wonder if anyone has done the Audi Experience package at Infineon in Sonoma? I have had my S5 since January '08, so I know her pretty well, but think I could benefit from an expert. PLUS I never get to drive without the fear of a wicked speeding ticket! Hubby has an A6, so he would join me and get to feel what I do everyday.That could end up being a problem! ;-)
Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did and it was a blast. anything in specific you want answered?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't really comment about the "paid" version but I attended the free version back in July of 2008 (after purchasing the A5 in June) and I can say the track is pretty good; lots of elevation changes and twists and even a chicane.

"The A4 Driving Experience" was the free seminar when the car was introduced and we got to do only 3 laps following an experienced Audi driver. By the 3rd lap, we were doing in excess of 100mph in a few areas. It was my first time on any official race track. I can only imagine how a full day of this will be.

If you do go, try visiting STaSIS. They are to the "left" of the front gate and up the hill past the shfiter Kart track.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Did the 1 day R8

I did the one day R8 experience at Infineon. It was OK. I have done a lot of driving schools and experiences as well as track days and my impression of the Audi Experience at Infineon was that it was rather expensive and too controlled. It is definitely better for drivers new to the track experience. I felt I wasn't permitted to even get close to the limits of the R8. I actually got to drive an S5 with the R8 group and it was more fun than driving an R8 because you could get closer to it's limit. The best driving experience I have done was a day of driving an Aston Martin V8 Vantage on the Ford testing grounds in Detroit. That day was only $200 more and I had the full time on four road courses, the skid and ice pads and the five mile oval (where I got the car to 165 mph). The next best was the Jim Russell school in an NSX.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who pays for the damage if something happens on the track?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

JAMR,

The Audi Experience at Infineon combined with your birthday celebration in the wine country would be unforgettable for both you and your husband. The excitement of the track and the romantic setting of the vineyard restaurants would serve you both.

I attended the Audi Driving Experience in the fall of 2007; it was called the Half-Day Enthusiast Program. I would recommend it for any auto enthusiast who wants to raise his/her driving skills to a higher level of competence, safety, and overall confidence; resulting in the ability to more comfortably receive the pleasure and enjoyment of driving. I wanted to test drive an A5/S5 and I had always wanted to drive on a track – this course satisfied both.

The day began with a half-hour discussion covering theory, safety and technique. Next we exercised the fundamentals through several “drills” on a closed course. Many of the technical functions of Quattro, anti-lock braking, traction limits, stability control, etc. were experienced while driving a variety of Audis including the TT, A6 4.2, and A4. These “drills” basically focused on the skills needed on the track. The final segment took place on the track itself. There were two track sessions of thirty minutes each; the first in an RS4 and the second, the wonderful R8. The instructor drove the lead car, talking to us through a headset, giving instructions while demonstrating technique. We followed in formation duplicating his “lines” through each corner while listening to his instructions. The speed increased each lap, as long as we maintained our formation. If more than two car lengths developed between drivers, the instructor would maintain the speed until the “pack” became stable. The first session ended (in a flash), we then took a break and returned to the track in the R8s (choice of Tiptronic or Manual).

Correct driving techniques, understanding the Audi engineered safety features, and the experience of driving at speed on a road course will give any driver the knowledge to enter the class of “the advanced driver” – go for it!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted to do the half-day sports driver enthusiast program later this year but seems it's not available anymore due to the Q5 program which ended by now (and in 2008 it wasn't available in Sonoma but LA).
They told me it might come back but couldn't tell for sure. They only way now to experience several Audi's including R8 is a full day program (which costs more than double:-().

If R8 is not a must then cheapest at Sonoma is half-day S-model intro program (see http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...ience/ade.html).

I hope they bring it back.