Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Anyone else own the new Audi S5 with the new 3.0 supercharged engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else own the new Audi S5 with the new 3.0 supercharged engine?

I have recently sold my 2011 Nissan GT-R for an Audi S5 Cabriolet (I sold it due to horrific servicing/ tyre costs but it was awesome!) and was horrified to experience the poor fuel economy on this new Audi, having read before ordering this newer engine was more fuel efficient!

I am achieving an average of around 14.9mpg (I do mostly around town driving) which is worse than the GT-R (that was achieving around 18mpg on the same route) and as mentioned a surprise, bearing in mind their advertised mpg’s. Has anyone else been surprised by poor fuel consumption?

Don’t get me wrong, I can afford to fill up the car at least twice a month, doing around 400 milers a month but I am asking for feedback from other new model S5 drivers to compare and to see if my car is problematic or the norm.

On a positive note, having owned other Audis, BMWs, Mercedes & Porsches, I am impressed by the build quality and handling. However, I don’t think the gearbox is as impressive as my BMW X5 4.0D or my other auto cars, as when accelerating away in 2nd or 3rd, when needing a quick change down, it doesn’t change where as other fast cars I have owned will happily change down & quickly…… maybe I need to do more than he 600 miles on the clock to see the gearbox wake up a bit.

I welcome any feedback from fellow 2012 3.0 supercharged owners. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Another testament that the 3.0 S5 eats more gas than the 4.2 V8 S5. 14 MPG, really.

I get around 18-19 MPG city driving on my V8 S5 and now around 22.5 - 24 MPG on the highway.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I get around 16mpg in the city and almost 20mpg in combined city/highway. This is my second S5 Cab. Same mpg on my first one. I have the Sport Dif and usually drive in Automatic, unless I'm taking tight turns. Then I go into Dynamic. (Never use Comfort.) If you always drive in Dynamic I can see how you would average 14mpg.

I test drove the first S5 Coupe at the dealership, and although the V8 has a nice sound I wasn't impressed, not because of the mileage but because the car felt more nose-heavy.

I'm disappointed in the fuel consumption but not enough to reconsider my choice. I traded an Infiniti M35 on my first A5 S-Line back in 2009, so I was pretty used to this type of mpg.

Last edited by dseag2; 01-30-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP: I drove the 3.0T and the V8 and found the same problem. Gas mileage isn't all that much better. Yours is a bit worse than normal but not to the extend of being abnormal. I say wait out a bit as the car is too new, you prob will find +2/3 mpg extra around town couple hundred miles from now.

@dseag2: What is your take on the difference between the A5 Sline vs the S5? I'm a bit curious not so much on the performance but more on comfort and handling. S5 prob have more pros but i believe same goes to the A5 S-line.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just checked my first tank . . .

My first tank, which would represent a combination of town and highway, averged 18.1 Fun car to drive!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

With 7,000 miles I saw a big difference after 5K. I also got rid of the factory Dunlops and went with Continental DW tires. Big difference. I am seeing 26-27 mpg Highway @ 65-75 and around 18-22 in town. My BMW 335 Cab got 30 highway and around 23 in town. Now for the killer, my Audi A4 1.8 AWD with a chip got 34-36 highway mid 20's . The chip really helped as long as you did not mail it.

Last edited by wreck111; 01-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I average 20-23mpg combined highway/city with the top up and 16-20 with the top down. My foot seems to be heavier with the top down for some strange reason. I also have the Stasis ECU upgrade. I've been told my numbers are better with the Stasis doing its thing.

I would never have thought of an S5 cab (or any cab with a decent engine for that matter) as a fuel efficient car by any stretch of the imagination. The cab is 452 lbs (almost a quarter of a ton) heavier than the coupe. The S5 coupe with the 3.0 SC engine will probably have significantly better number than the outgoing V8 coupes.

Also, the transmission is the way it is because of the dual clutch gearbox. Love it for upshifts, hate it for downshifts....the price I'm paying to own a 4 passenger all-wheel-drive convertible.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get 13mpg combined !!

When I first got the car I was averaging 18mpg combined still not great, but not horrifying.

I think there might be something wrong with my car. Any ideas? My driving style or route hasn't changed.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys for your feedbacks, it appears as a number of you say, the new engine is not as impressive on the MPG as Audi advertised versus the older 4.2 engine!

I will get more miles on the clock and hope like some of you have seen, the MPG picks up a little! When the tyres need replacing I will also do homework on that.

Happy driving & can't wait to get the hood down when it warms up in the UK
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSander
OP: I drove the 3.0T and the V8 and found the same problem. Gas mileage isn't all that much better. Yours is a bit worse than normal but not to the extend of being abnormal. I say wait out a bit as the car is too new, you prob will find +2/3 mpg extra around town couple hundred miles from now.

@dseag2: What is your take on the difference between the A5 Sline vs the S5? I'm a bit curious not so much on the performance but more on comfort and handling. S5 prob have more pros but i believe same goes to the A5 S-line.
My A5 Sline was a 2009 with a V6 engine. I found it more than adequate performane and handling-wise, and if they would have put that same drivetrain in the S5 Cab I would have been fine with it. However, the Supercharged S5 does have better perfomance, handles better (because I have the Sport dif) and is no less comfortable than my A5 Sline.

Quick Reply: Anyone else own the new Audi S5 with the new 3.0 supercharged engine?