Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

ATF Transmission Drain Fill Plug Locations on 2013 A5 B8

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF Transmission Drain Fill Plug Locations on 2013 A5 B8

Hey, i'm looking for a little help and couldn't find a thread and images that spoke to my model/year i have a 2013 Audi A8 with 85K miles. I do most of my own service, and know i'm coming up on an ATF change. I know you need to drain/fill underneath but the two obvious choices are a bit counter intuitive. On the bottom, there is a 5MM hex, then what appeared to be a drain plug was higher up on the side. Does anyone know if THOSE are the drain and fill plugs or am i way off? should I be draining from the smaller 5MM hex on the bottom first and filling from the larger top plug or the bottom.
My dealer wants to charge $700 which seems crazy. But then on ECS saw the OEM fluids are about $600 so was going to go with redline and a new plug. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fill plug in the center, drain on the side?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bit the bullet and bought a shop manual. if anyone else was wondering here is the diagram - so drain plug #1 and fill plug #4. anyone out there have recommendations on OEM trans fluid vs. redline?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. How did you ended up filling the fluid? What was the access like?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 2013 A5 with the 8-speed tiptronic transmission. I used the OEM fluid (Original Equipment Manufacturer = ZF, which makes LifeGuard 8). You can use anything that's fully compatible with LifeGuard 8. For example, Liqui Moly Top Tec ATF 1800.

Lifeguard is about $25 / quart. Liqui Moly is about $12.

You only need about 4 liters for the ATF.

Don't forget to also change the following in addition to the ATF:

1) front final drive
2) transfer box (quattro)
3) rear final drive

Tip:

1. Always open up the fill-plug first to make sure it's not stripped or stuck. It'd really suck if you drained all the fluids and don't have a way to fill it backup.
2. Use VCDS to refill at the right temperature and to do the basic settings

BTW, since our quattro is a torsen type-c made by JTEKT owned by Toyota, does anyone know if there's a more reasonable replacement for the super expensive G055145A2?

Last edited by findalex; 09-05-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by findalex
I have a 2013 A5 with the 8-speed tiptronic transmission. I used the OEM fluid (Original Equipment Manufacturer = ZF, which makes LifeGuard 8). You can use anything that's fully compatible with LifeGuard 8. For example, Liqui Moly Top Tec ATF 1800.

Lifeguard is about $25 / quart. Liqui Moly is about $12.

You only need about 4 liters for the ATF.

Don't forget to also change the following in addition to the ATF:

1) front final drive
2) transfer box (quattro)
3) rear final drive

Tip:

1. Always open up the fill-plug first to make sure it's not stripped or stuck. It'd really suck if you drained all the fluids and don't have a way to fill it backup.
2. Use VCDS to refill at the right temperature and to do the basic settings

BTW, since our quattro is a torsen type-c made by JTEKT owned by Toyota, does anyone know if there's a more reasonable replacement for the super expensive G055145A2?
Are there instructions anywhere on what the right temperature and settings are?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but is the diagram and pictures above the same for a 2010 Audi A5 2.0 quattro?

I plan to drain and fill my ATF fluids soon and I didn't know there was also a front and rear final drive. So that means im draining from 3 holes and filling on 3 holes as well? So if I do them all at the same time, I just fill all 3 until it overflows, stop, start car and shift to all gears for a few secs, then fill all 3 holes again for final top off?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

The following procedure is for 8-speed tiptronic transmission. I'm not sure which model year it applies to.

Correct temperature to set oil level (for ATF only) is 40 C to 50 C.
1. Fill oil until it overflows out of the fill hole (don't close it)
2. start engine
3. Put in more oil until it overflows again (must do this because the transmission will suck some oil into various internal parts), and put back the bolt
4. shift through each gear (hold for 10 secs) P->R->N->D->R->P
5. In P, rev RPM to 2000 for 30 seconds (fill torque converter)
6. Let car settle back to idle and wait until ATF temp is 35 C
7. Open overfill screw to let excessing fluid drain out
8. Let oil drain out until 40 C, put back filler screw (before it reaches 50 C) and torque 30 NM. Audi says to use a new screw, but I haven't had any issues with leakage after reusing mine for 3 times now.
9. turn off car
10. use VCDS to do basic settings on transmission. This will allow the transmission to re-adapt the various pressures, timing, etc. to accomodate the new fluid.
11. drive gently for the next week or so for the computer to adapt.

OR

1. Drain and measure exactly how much fluid came out when cold (e.g. 4 L)
2. Fill until fluid overflows (3 - 3.5 L), measure amount of overflow
3. Start engine, shift thru each gear (wait 10 secs between gear changes)
4. Fill until you put back the exact same amount that you drained out (plus around 50 ml to account for spillage)
5. close and torque.
6. stop engine.
7. VCDS basic settings and drive gently.

BTW, Valvoline MaxLife works great! You ATF cost would be only around $25. Change every 20 - 30K miles and the transmission might just last forever.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125768
It's ZF Lifeguard 8 compliant.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

For the final drives, just drain and fill up to the edge of the plug (just measure exactly how much drained out and put back exactly same amount).

Last edited by findalex; 06-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.