Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi S5 Tint Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not true in Illinois

Originally Posted by fractalsphere
Check what your local laws are regarding tinted windows, too. The cops love to get all over cars that break those laws. I live in Chicago and it's ILLEGAL to have tinted windows AT ALL on the front windows (for four-door cars) and on the side windows and illegal for two-door cars to have it on the sides at all. So some cars get it done and it looks like crap (IMHO) to have the back windows dark and the front windows not tinted.

So I've learned to live without it at all - but if you can get it done, it looks great. Just don't make yourself a ticket magnet more than you need to.
It's been a few years now since they changed it but in Illinois you CAN have tint on all windows (except windshield) as long as it doesn't exceed certain percentages (basically it's a 35% limit but the percentage may vary between driver/passenger windows vs. back-side windows). Kind of a complicated formula but I believe that you can go as low as 20% on the back and back-side windows as long as the front-side windows are 35% or more.
Check the Illinois Secretary of State website and get the full explanation. And it allows for police "discretion" in measuring the percentage. I believe they changed the law 10/31/09. I keep a copy of that section in my glove box. Maybe the city of Chicago is different but I doubt it.
But your original suggestion to check local laws is a good one. No sense in attracting unwanted attention. I first tinted only my back and back-side and left the front-side alone until they changed the law. Since then, I've been stopped once by a suburban officer who had a light meter in his squad and measured my windows' percentages. He "let me off with a warning" but admitted that I was in compliance.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:04 PM
ksn
Audiworld Junior Member

So some cars get it done and it looks like crap (IMHO) to have the back windows dark and the front windows not tinted.
I agree, what do you think about a gradient? Maybe like 30 in the rear, 45 back windows, 60 front windows (CA law is 70% front)? Is that less noticable?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great thread as I'm just starting to think about tint for my S5 Cab. What do you all think about tinted windows on the Cabs? I was worried the Cab might look . . .how do I put it . . .dorkey with the top down and (tinted) windows up. Although I don't often have the windows up with the top down, there are days when I have passengers in the back and they demand a little less wind. . .
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by S5WAG
So I figured that I should make this post to warn those that are planning to get their S5 or A5 tinted. Tinting is a mod pretty much everyone gets so this should be helpful.

Yesterday I took my car to a reputable tint shop and well I went to go pick it up and it turned out great . However, as i was driving, I decided to listen to some music and no sound was coming from the the speakers at all. The MMI was working but no sound... I quickly realized that they must have shorted my amp or something with all that water they use and I was right. I went home and opened the trunk and it was pretty wet . I called them back and said I think you messed up my speakers and they said let them dry... I was like are you serious let them dry out. You shorted something. Monday I will go to to the dealership and see if they will replace it under warranty. If not I'm going to make the shop responsible for paying for the damage.

So if you plan on getting tint make sure the shop covers up everything that can get shorted before they tint. It will save you the headache.
Wow, sounds like some real schmucks did the job. I had no problems with the guys that did mine. Flawless.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check what your local laws are regarding tinted windows, too. The cops love to get all over cars that break those laws. I live in Chicago and it's ILLEGAL to have tinted windows AT ALL on the front windows (for four-door cars) and on the side windows and illegal for two-door cars to have it on the sides at all. So some cars get it done and it looks like crap (IMHO) to have the back windows dark and the front windows not tinted.

So I've learned to live without it at all - but if you can get it done, it looks great. Just don't make yourself a ticket magnet more than you need to.
I agree on checking with local laws and also local experience. Side window tinting is also illegal in California, but enforcement doesn't pursue it. If you choose not to do side windows at all, I have seen rear windows still done well, just much lighter than otherwise. (I agree that the worst look is no side tinting, then limousine-dark on the rears.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpt13
It's been a few years now since they changed it but in Illinois you CAN have tint on all windows (except windshield) as long as it doesn't exceed certain percentages (basically it's a 35% limit but the percentage may vary between driver/passenger windows vs. back-side windows). Kind of a complicated formula but I believe that you can go as low as 20% on the back and back-side windows as long as the front-side windows are 35% or more.
Actually the law for Illinois is you can have either (a) as low as 35% both front and rear, or (b) as dark as 20% rear and no tint on front. That's the Illinois state law. But Chicago claims that its home rule outweighs state law, and law in Chicago is that no tints are allowed on front windows beyond manufacturer's original, so even though front window tints are legal in Illinois they are not legal in Chicago. Chicago also says its laws apply to all vehicles in the city, not just those registered to Chicago residents. And coincidentally - almost at the same time as the state law was loosened Chicago raised its fine for tints from $25 to $250 - so drivers from the 'burbs who park at Midway Airport or travel downtown can get nailed extra hard. Ain't that great?