Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

B&O System - Sudden High Volume Distorted Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&O System - Sudden High Volume Distorted Sound?

Used my radio driving home last night, no problems or issues. Got in the car this morning and, as I put it in reverse and the back-up camera came on, an extremely distorted and high volume sound came through all speakers. I couldn't turn it down, could only mute. Tried different presets, wasn't station dependent and was present if system was unmuted after back-up display was gone.

After driving several minutes, unmuted the system and all was normal. Any ideas? Happen to anyone else?

Thanks...

John
Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm still getting used to my new A5 but one thing I noticed on the stereo is that it takes a good bit of time for it to come 'online'.

I have the B&O option on my A5. If I leave it on the satellite it usually turns on right away and picks up the satellite after I back out of the garage.

If I leave it on AM/FM it'll start the music right away.

My only control that works during this time is volume/mute.

It can take close to a minute for anything else to engage. IE: Bluetooth to my iPhone/Plugged in iPhone.

Perhaps the 'last connected thing' was screwed up and it took the MMI a bit to boot up and clear whatever it was? If it repeats I'd take it in to be looked at, otherwise it could just be a technical glitch.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't currently have Sat. This was really loud, I was concerned speakers - and ears! - would be damaged. I'll have dealer check it out...

John
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check your audio settings .. you can adjust various volumes for backing up, phone, nav etc..
Old 01-15-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

last summer, I had the very same problem.
fortunately with only one speaker, the one to the left of the rear passenger.
I could find a connecting wire, through the MMI-enclosure, in the boot.
when I came back from my holidays, the dealer reconnected the wire and all functioned as before.

2 weeks ago the complete MMI appeared to be dead.
VCDS told me, the optical cable was not connected.
the dealer replaced the complete sound system.
and now the sound quality is much, much better.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, I've experienced this very same thing in my 2013 A5 with the B&O system. It occurred several months ago with the majority of the distorted audio coming out of the front, driver-side speaker. I tried force resetting the MMI system during my drive, but there was no difference. It wasn't until after I turned off the car and left it alone for a few hours, that it just sorted itself out. This has occurred twice. I took it to the dealer, but, of course, they didn't see anything wrong nor were there any error codes.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I had the same issue as well. Exactly what you describe, like very loud AM static. Called dealer, set an appointment, got back from a 4 hour meeting and it was fine.

Would love to find out what the cause is in the event it becomes more recurring?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Also had this occur several months ago. Try turning HD radio OFF. Apparently the HD radio may cause this. I don't listen to AM anyway.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did it sound like this?

Scared the hell out of my wife as it happened right after the car started. Turning the stereo off and on, restarting the car, etc. didn't "fix" the problem. 15 minutes of driving did. Previous owner had issues with the stereo but not sure if it was this same exact issue but this just happened the first day after I took possession of the vehicle (albeit it's a 2010 S4). Will see if CPO warranty will cover this.

Excuse the vertical video, it was supposed to be horizontal.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine had no musical content at all, just loud static that seemed focused on driver's side front speaker. And like others have said, Dealer was able to neither duplicate nor track thru error codes.

So far one-time occurence, hasn't happened since...

John

Quick Reply: B&O System - Sudden High Volume Distorted Sound?